The Mighty TC Scout

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello, First time poster but read others posts daily. I have just recently received a T/C SCOUT in a .54 caliber. My thought is to install the T/C SCOUT Peep Sight on it. What would you use for the front sight? The original one that came with the gun? Any and all suggestions would to great. Ron

Hello, First time poster but read others posts daily. I have just recently received a T/C SCOUT in a .54 caliber. My thought is to install the T/C SCOUT Peep Sight on it. What would you use for the front sight? The original one that came with the gun? Any and all suggestions would to great. Ron

You are talking TC Scout Rifle/Carbine right? You could either leave the Factory Bead sight on and Try it, See how you like it? Or Change to something else you like better, If you decide to leave the factory front sight and try it out, But end up deciding to Change it to something else? At least you will know if you need a Taller or Shorter Front Sight? Most front Sights are measured from the Bottom of the Dovetail to the Top of the Sight

I sold my Scout Pistol here on the Forum, But i stil have a .54 Scout Carbine, With a Crescent Butt Plate (Kind of Rare) I’ve always wanted a Factory TC Scout Peep sight but never have found one at a Reasonable Price. I did actually find a Brand new one in the Package and Bought it, Come to find out it was Marked Wrong, it ended up being for TC Firehawk I believe? I sold it to Forum member here as well.

I feel like I got a good deal on this one. It had never been fired and so perfect. The 1:20 Twist in 54 cal. shoots sabots very well at 100 but suffers with conicals and round balls at short range. The previous owner purchased a mount, rings, and a Leupold 2x7 scope but never mounted it. All for $350 made me a happy guy!

Attachments

• 272558981_10221707722024379_8486011064287331469_n.jpg
    272558981_10221707722024379_8486011064287331469_n.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 6
The TC Scouts are BADLY Misunderstood by many. They are a Fast 1:20 Twist. When you learn what makes them Tick, they are SUPER RELIABLE Guns. Inline ignition, Before loading you can simply cock the Hammer and look through the Nipple hole, if you see Daylight it’s gonna go BOOM! If you don’t See Daylight you have a Problem, Simple as that. They have a Really Small Powder/Ante Chamber, about the Size of a .22 Cal Brush, Maybe a .30 Cal at Most. This area is where 99.9% of Scout Hangfire problems occur, Improper Cleaning, Oil etc.

The Breech Plug has a Built in No. 11, NON Removable/Replaceable Nipple (Like The White Breech Plugs)

The Scouts also have a Venting System for “Blowback” it starts in the Breech Plug/Nipple Setup, then escapes out of 2 Holes on each side of the Barrel at the Breech Plug, and then inside the Frame itself where there are 2 Angled Exhaust Ports that Point forward, Away from the Shooter.

The Very Early, original Scouts didn’t have the 2 Vent Holes in the Breech Plug Nipple Setup, It wasn’t long into production that TC Vented the Breech Plug/Nipple. Here are both Variations, New/Current Top, Old original Plug on Bottom
tqaGjH2.jpg

Here you can see how the Breech plug goes in, I wish the Vent Holes in the Plug were Shown here, But the Plug is Turned Sideways and you can’t see them, But you can see the 2 Holed in the Barrel where Blowback can Escape out the Sides. I see folks talk about the Breech plug Vent Holes NOT lining up with these 2 Barrel Holes? IT DOESNT MATTER if they Do, or DONT? It’s going to Exhaust NO MATTER where the Orientation is? Just Screw the Plug in and go, That Simple!
1Uw6bKL.jpg

TJ5Ffqt.jpg

And here you can see how it all Works, VERY SIMPLE, and HIGHLY Effective. Notice the holes in the Side of the Black Reciever? Those are the Angled Away from Shooter Exhaust Cuts i spoke of Earlier. The Scouts are Built like HURRICANES, HELL For STOUT!!
mC9MmVl.jpg
I had a scout rifle many years ago, it probably had the single hole breech plug. I got burned on my right eyebrow. I sent it back. They didn't contact me,so I called. They said they had been waiting to hear from my lawyer. I told them I didn't have one and wasn't going to get one. I just wanted it fixed. They said they couldn't fix it at that time but they would give me two other firearms to replace it, and they did. The fire truly killed T/C. I have a Scout rifle and pistol in .50 cal, very well designed guns.
Nit Wit

Interesting to see all the comments about inaccuracies with heavy lead. Both of my pistols shoot everything very accurately out to 50yrds from 44cal 180gr/sabot to 425 grain lead I just tweak the charge. I see inaccuracies past 50 but won't blame it on the gun lol. Also they are definitely a pain to clean. Once you get the hang of cleaning it and come to terms that it's just the nature of the beast it's not that bad. I don't clean the whole gun every session but I do have a barrel cleaning/ loading ritual I follow religiously between each shot! Also mounting the gun and following a sequence as you squeeze the trigger helped the most... mount high on the "hog leg" & let it pivot/roll in your hand straight up.

I bought a .54 cal Scout pistol new in early ‘97. Enjoyed shooting it off/on for a couple of months. All I ever loaded it with where TC maxi’s and I believe 100 grains of pyrodex. I was used to shooting my .454 Casull and single shot Contender/Encorns. Recoil was definitely there, but it was fun.
I ended up selling my place after building another one. Haven’t shot it since.
Now I’m retired and have some time, so I’m planning on getting it out when the weather gets a little nicer and becoming familiar with it again.
i also bought a new CVA Optima V2 .50 cal pistol a few years ago, and two breach plugs for Blackhorn 209. Still haven’t shot that yet. I’m thinking I’m just going to focus on the Scout and part ways with the Optima V2.
Thanks for giving me the renewed interest. Might have to find a TC Hawken or Renegade .54 cal now

Any of you Guys have one of these? I got this one in a Trade, it was New. It’s a .50 Cal, I have Shot up to 80 Grains of Swiss 2 and 3F Powder, Pushing a 450 Grain Paper Patch Bullet, That was an EYE OPENER Load :eek::D These TC Scouts are Built like HURRICANES, They are EXTREMELY STOUT!! I have a Couple of Rifles as well.

I need to get back out with this thing someday soon, I would like to Get a BIG CAT With it. I would like to Find a New, or Like New .54 Cal Scout Pistol Barrel to have for this thing as well. They even made a .45 Cal Barrel, But those are Much more Rare to Come Across, i see one on Gunbroker, high asking Price and it looks Rough. I seen 1 Brand New .45 Cal on GB as well, That guy told me he would Sell it for 500 Bucks :eek: Needless to Say I don’t Own it! I might have Jim Carpenter Build me a Barrel? I have 2 Donor Breech Plugs
ZTm0dnX.jpg

fGZMkRC.jpg
Question for ya, does the peep sights on the rifle fit the pistol?

Interesting to see all the comments about inaccuracies with heavy lead. Both of my pistols shoot everything very accurately out to 50yrds from 44cal 180gr/sabot to 425 grain lead I just tweak the charge. I see inaccuracies past 50 but won't blame it on the gun lol. Also they are definitely a pain to clean. Once you get the hang of cleaning it and come to terms that it's just the nature of the beast it's not that bad. I don't clean the whole gun every session but I do have a barrel cleaning/ loading ritual I follow religiously between each shot! Also mounting the gun and following a sequence as you squeeze the trigger helped the most... mount high on the "hog leg" & let it pivot/roll in your hand straight up.
I have three, bought them on gunbroker trying to get a pair with all parts and barrels. Several barrels came corroded despite being “great condition”. Do you mind if I ask who made your barrels and what twist etc you went with? And would you be open to sharing some favorite loads and cleaning/loading procedures that you have found to work well? I’m having a hard time finding solid info besides the stuff in the pamphlet.

As stated above there are two different breech plugs for these guns. I just bought a 50 cal Scout rifle. It was one of the first on the market. I need to know where I can buy another breech plug for it. It's the bottom breech plug in the following picture. I know Track of The Wolf sells the top one but I don't know that it would fit in my gun.
1677291751653.png

The TC Scouts are BADLY Misunderstood by many. They are a Fast 1:20 Twist. When you learn what makes them Tick, they are SUPER RELIABLE Guns. Inline ignition, Before loading you can simply cock the Hammer and look through the Nipple hole, if you see Daylight it’s gonna go BOOM! If you don’t See Daylight you have a Problem, Simple as that. They have a Really Small Powder/Ante Chamber, about the Size of a .22 Cal Brush, Maybe a .30 Cal at Most. This area is where 99.9% of Scout Hangfire problems occur, Improper Cleaning, Oil etc.

The Breech Plug has a Built in No. 11, NON Removable/Replaceable Nipple (Like The White Breech Plugs)

The Scouts also have a Venting System for “Blowback” it starts in the Breech Plug/Nipple Setup, then escapes out of 2 Holes on each side of the Barrel at the Breech Plug, and then inside the Frame itself where there are 2 Angled Exhaust Ports that Point forward, Away from the Shooter.

The Very Early, original Scouts didn’t have the 2 Vent Holes in the Breech Plug Nipple Setup, It wasn’t long into production that TC Vented the Breech Plug/Nipple. Here are both Variations, New/Current Top, Old original Plug on Bottom
tqaGjH2.jpg

Here you can see how the Breech plug goes in, I wish the Vent Holes in the Plug were Shown here, But the Plug is Turned Sideways and you can’t see them, But you can see the 2 Holed in the Barrel where Blowback can Escape out the Sides. I see folks talk about the Breech plug Vent Holes NOT lining up with these 2 Barrel Holes? IT DOESNT MATTER if they Do, or DONT? It’s going to Exhaust NO MATTER where the Orientation is? Just Screw the Plug in and go, That Simple!
1Uw6bKL.jpg

TJ5Ffqt.jpg

And here you can see how it all Works, VERY SIMPLE, and HIGHLY Effective. Notice the holes in the Side of the Black Reciever? Those are the Angled Away from Shooter Exhaust Cuts i spoke of Earlier. The Scouts are Built like HURRICANES, HELL For STOUT!!
mC9MmVl.jpg

tqaGjH2.jpg

1Uw6bKL.jpg

TJ5Ffqt.jpg

mC9MmVl.jpg
I just bought a Scout that takes the lower breech plug in your picture above. Do you know where I could buy another of this type?

Don't need the lower one the upper is the improved version. Fits the same
Well I bought one of those upper breech plugs from Track of The Wolf. It's the same diameter, thread pitch is the same but the distance from the bottom of the nut to the tip that fits inside the breech is longer and bottoms out before the nut is fully down on the rear of the barrel. Obviously it does NOT fit as you suggested, at least not on my gun. My gun is apparently one of the first on the market from TC. Am I missing something here?

Here is a picture of what the newer breech plugs looks like when screwed into my barrel.

Attachments

• IMG_3119.JPG
    IMG_3119.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Y'all doing better than I, i just got the new breechplug from track of the wolf and ill be damned to get 1-1/2 turns in.?

I almost bought one at auction a few months ago, but the hammer felt a bit funny, so I passed. Still, a pretty cool piece of TC history.

Back