The new Knight Perigrine

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last thing i heard was they were testing a 40cal. The guy that posted said they got over 2300fps shooting a 40cal 250gr? sabotless and a 300gr was like 2200fps? Loads like that even using just BH209 120grV loads will need a better ignition system. It would be murder on vents and plugs for high volume shooters.

Its unfortunate the 40 caliber doesn't have the following or respect of larger calibers with hunters and game departments, with the right bullet/powder combination its no joke. The 40-90 Sharps accounted for a lot buffalo kills almost 150 years ago. Were talking black powder in its glory days.

I shot my first 2 deer with a 50 caliber round ball that probably weighed 180gn. This year my deer was taken with 40 caliber 225gn bullet with a muzzle velocity most likely in the 1300+ fps range.

50/70 was the huge bison killer. Many of those rifles were sold off when they adopted the 45/70. Surplus ammo was plentiful. Just apply at a frontier post and they gave it away to you so you could wipe out herds in the area. By the time other calibers became popular bison herds were a fraction on the size they once were. Everyone pictures the "Quigley Down Under" rifle and Express variants as the most popular rounds used. Many herds were almost wiped out by then. 50/70 and 45/70 probably killed more bison than all others combined. Next would have been 45/90.

The 40-90-420 was indeed popular but not until after about 1873 or a little later. Nowhere near as many of those rifles were ever made and they were very expensive.

If it aint a 40cal im betting they looked into the LRMP system to get away from 209s. Probably some Bestill type plug changes. Like rear sealing and carbide bushing for the flash hole.

Here are Utah’s Mzldr regs: they are allowing .40’s still no smokeless.....

Attachments

• EFC0002D-B4FD-4F78-B654-9E135B5CE6B7.png
    EFC0002D-B4FD-4F78-B654-9E135B5CE6B7.png
    175.6 KB · Views: 13
that makes absolutely no sense at all
Well there’s never been a min during rifle season, whoever wrote the law for muzzleloader season chose to put one in. You could hunt rifle season with a .32 muzzleloader if you wanted to but not muzzleloader season. I bet there are lots of states that are similar.

In 2016, 28 of 50 states listed 40 cal, smaller or no restriction on caliber for deer.

40 fast twist is just the natural progression for Knight since the 45 fast twist was introduced in 2015.
Peregrine - like the Falcon.

Latest posts

Back