The only 6.5 I need

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
6.5s in general are about the perfect whitetail caliber. I used a 25-06 for a few years and never really fell i love with it. It worked fine too. For me a 6.5 Grendel mini action with a 22" light varmint or slightly thinner would be ideal. Next best choice would be a Swedish Mauser action as the base for a 6.5x55 custom build....Just for the nostalgia.
As age has caught up to me I have changed my shooters and my shooting. No more long range targets or rapid fire. So the herd has thinned. No Creedmore and such left just a nice light (and short) Sweedish Mauser in 6.5X55. Whitetails and Mules killed dead. Shoulder not bruised and I can still carry it back to the truck. The bigger game falls to a lightweight Mauser 30-06 or a 7mm magnum. I have not bought factory loads for so long that I don't remember. My older rifles were well built and have worked hard but I love them, marks and all.

An older Tika in 6x55 is impossible to find , just within the last 6 months I bought back 2 6.5 x 55 ai that I built years ago ,happened to run into the guy that purchased them that wanted to get rid of them,, one has a Douglas barrel the other one has a benchmark,, both shoot quarter inch and less fire forming factory loads course I don't shoot nothing but Lapua in them,,, the Douglas will put every load from their 100 to the 150 grain into just a glob,,, The benchmark is a target rifle so I don't ask it to do that but confident it would also!! I'd love to have a nice model 98 maybe post war Fn in 65x55 every time I ever find a nice one it's way too expensive.

Back