The Perfect Hunting Scope

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This is just my opinion . Does anyone remember the Tasco exp oval scope ? For hunting my idea of the perfect scope would be target turrets the oval or tv tube either 3-9 x 40 or preferably 4-12 x 40 or 4-16 x40 heavy 4 plex or heavy multi plex crosshairs . The heavy to thin at the center draws your eyes to the center . The wide wind age picture better suits hunting applications for target acquisition especially moving targets . I would much rather see the target full windage wise than elevation wise . Four legged creatures are wider in profile than 2 legged creatures . This is just a want & wish of mine that probably will never manifest . Maybe I am the only shooter that thinks this way . Tasco , Redfield & BSA are the only glass manufacturers that tried & none of them could make it work except Redfield . Just a thought on my bucket list . I am sure that it will not appear in this old Vietnam jungle hunters remaining years .

I remember having one of those a long time ago on a 700 mntn rifle in .270. I thought it was cool and seemed to be a decent scope. But that was back when i didnt know squat about squat so i think i traded that gun away for a song and a promise.

IIRC Redfield called theirs Widefield. There were tough scopes from what i remember. They sell for quite a bit of $$$s now days on www.vintagegunscopes.com

Swift Premier still has a few 2x7x40 WA scopes out there. They have a huge 60ft FOV at 100yards on 2x but the eye relief is pretty poor for a hard kicking rifle.

Widefield scopes are on a couple of my guns. One 4X is on my Savage .22 magnum hog killer. Another 4X is not mounted. Bought those scopes when Redfield went out of business.

I had a widefield 4 power on a Winchester .22 mag pump in the early 70's. I also had a 2X7 widefield on a 700 Remington 222. My first 700 Remington in 7 mag wore a 3X9 Widefield. Great scopes. I wish Redfield was still in business.

My favourite is my Redfield widefield Illuminator 3 x 9 x 40mm. It was a new warranty replacement for an older version that they couldn't fix and sent me this one. ( 25 years ago) Yes sadly they are no longer.

My favorites most of the time are 2x on low and with my eyes aging im loving 10x or more on high. So for me the perfect scope is a 2-10x40 that is under 20oz. You can still get a huge FOV if needed on 2x. Keep it on 2x until you get in your stand or whatever. Years ago Minox had a scope similar to the Zeiss Conquest in a 2-10x40 and not long ago Vortex had the Razor HD LH. Both have good eye relief and quality glass.

Sightron had a cool little 2-10 that could have been even better if they tailored it more towards a hunter and a bit less tactical. Optics Planet blew them out before i had a chance to grab one. It would have been a nice upgrade for my 54-120. I would have loved to see this one in a 2-10x40 with the 30mm tube.
https://www.opticsplanet.com/sightron-s-tac-30mm-2-10x32-riflescope.html

I've had a pair of those sightron 2 to 10 power s-tac,,,, probably have around 7 to 800 rounds on each scope,, finally just started to have some problems with one but I am very satisfied for the money, ia little heavy and looks like an AR scope on my muzzleloader instead of a muzzleloader scope but very happy with the performance and the reticle is easy for me to shoot out to 400 yards for the price point both Scopes have been the best performers for the money that I've had in my smokeless muzzle loading experience.

Burris has a Veracity 2-10x42 but its on the heavy side. I came real close to getting one when i found the huge deal on my Razor. At that time i wanted it for the NULA and weight was a major factor. Plus i would have needed some 30mm Talley rings for the Veracity. Keep an eye on Natchez for the blems they sell. I love the FFP reticle on the Veracity. :lewis: :wave

Last edited:
I got my pair of fixed 16 super snipers couple of days ago ,,put one of them on a smokeless with no brake I'm going to hammer on that scope and see what it can take, I really like the reticle and the scope everything works great a little bit of fuzziness around the edge of the glass but about 80% of the field of view is very clear a little bit darker reminds me more of the cheaper vortex glass

Did you look at the "inspection stickers" on the scopes? Did they have a factory listed on the stickers?
DzYgEwT.jpg

It has an inspection sticker that says it was inspected here in Texas SFA,, otherwise the only thing I can see is this

Attachments

• IMG_20220104_124609376.jpg
    IMG_20220104_124609376.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 6

Latest posts

Back