The Problem With Hogs

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
One of our properties has an abundance of wild hogs. Every spring i shoot small pigs from a stand about 30 yards from the feeder. i use #4 buckshot and have killed up to nine pigs with one shot. Dead pigs don't become hogs.

This feeder dispenses corn in at 07:30 and at 20:00, a total of about two pounds daily. Two or three different sounders visit feeder in a 24 hour period: Here are some:

FucQfoOl.jpg

MsNANqHl.jpg

Okie Hog, how about adopting me?🥴🥴
After the fires and whatever disease was going around, pigs are pretty much non-existent where I used to hunt them.

Nice work on trying to control. I have similar setup with fewer pigs. Two years I took down huge boar that was knocking feeders down.
His sounder stayed until last summer when most of those were took out leaving three.
Now a hand full are hanging around leaving me targets to shoot. I'm waiting on the right time. They're not wanting the bait enough yet.
Good luck!

Have gun, will travel. I went to east Texas several years ago to hunt pigs. Shot a few, then met some young guys that chased 'em with dogs; and caught a couple dozen. It's incredible to see a guy crawl under a fallen oak and hog tie a 200lb pig that has a 100 lb bulldog holding it by the ear. They kept them in a pen, fed'em and sold 'em later. I couldn't do that anymore, but shootin 'em is what my guns were made for. I'd love to bring the FLIR night vision scope to a field full of them. I'd also need a butcher real close. Sniping them one at a time with the Paramount would be great. The M1A and the Marlin 30-30 are proven on pigs, and the AR10 in 243 is itchin to go on a pig (and wolf) hunt.
On my way to Texas, I drove through east Oklahoma. Beautiful country.

I solute my cousin SE of San Antonio. He is both rancher and farmer but deals lots of ferrel hogs. He told me the most he eradicated in one day was 177 with a M16 from a copter. LMAO 🤣 whoo piggy 🐷 run faster.

While everyone is inviting themselves along I'll jump in too!

I kid, but I do envy your problem, I've hunted pigs once and it was a 10 hour drive. You can't eat them there at that either.

What do you with them cooking wise mostly?

If we had hogs locally I'd never get anything done!! Lol I think it's probably my favorite animal to hunt, plus they carry around the BEST meat! I've been on two out of state hunts and had the guide smoke a whole 60lb hog i shot the first night. I will never forget the taste of that pork!!

I know people who have them hate them, but I envy them sometimes.

The last time I looked, Pork Chopper cost $1200 per hour; and it's been quite a whole since I looked. That's outta my league, but I'd sure like to do it. You can watch guys shoot from the copter on You Tube.
I brought 5 home from Texas. A friend cooked 'em all for my retirement party, and there wasn't any left at the end of the day. They're better than good!!! ( especially with Budweiser.)
I failed completely hunting them 2 months ago over bait at night in Florida. I had deer and coons at the corn, but Miss Piggy wouldn't come in. They were there, but not when I was there.

If I lived in pig country I would not buy meat. Between venison and pork I would learn to make sausages, brats, whatever I could. I killed pigs in Florida, Alabama, and Georgia. I think the 120LB sows are about the right size. And no, I don't have a 120lb female in my freezer. :D

Latest posts

Back