The Problem With Hogs

Help Support Modern Muzzleloader:

Bad Karma

Have any of you tried the “Pig Brig”? Interesting concept and if there are no survivors they wouldn’t be educated pigs...

Bphunter1974

Supporter
Supporter

Check these guys out Harold Long is the owner he's a great guy as honest as they come he's done me right and they work amazing

Okie Hog

Have any of you tried the “Pig Brig”?
According to reports the Pig Brig is a great hog trap.

i shot some more little pigs as did a neighbor. Also contacted the hog doggers in that area. Told them to chase the hogs into the Red River.

jlynch75

The state of NY wouldn't allow hunting of pigs and we are starting to get a lot of them in the Southern part of the state. Here's a quota from the state DEC:

"It is illegal in New York to hunt, trap or take any free-ranging Eurasian boar. This law was passed to discourage the illegal release of boars for hunting. Illegal release is the primary way feral swine are expanding across the US."

Decay

Supporter
Supporter
A lotta years ago I bought Peltor Tac 8's for competitive pistol shooting and deer hunting. They're a large muff, and for me, not good on a shotgun, but I've never had a problem with mounting any rifle, off the bench, in a blind or free standing. They used to cost $180 and I believe they've come down in price. They're supposed to be "stereo", so you can tell what direction a sound comes from. I can't really tell if this works. They work great in a blind or a stand, and in Wisconsin's cold winters, help keep your ears warm. They have adjustable volume, so if you choose to wear them while walking in the woods on leaves or snow, you can adjust the volume so the sound of your footsteps isn't disruptive. Of course that also limits their effectiveness at amplifying the noise of a deer footsteps (as he runs away). The noise of the wind was occasionally a problem. Simply turning your head a few degrees eliminated the wind noise. Both of my brothers bought the Peltor Tac 7's, a thinner profile muff. They both like theirs. IIRC, they reduce sound by around 30 decibels. I usually wear both foam ear plugs and muffs when I shoot of the bench. If you think they amplify too much noise from leaves or snow while walking, you're probably walking too heavy and/or too fast. The labrador lying at my side right now got ahold of mine a few years ago, and chewed on the foam/plastic ear cups. Supposedly they're replaceable, but I couldn't get the replacements to attach, so I don't use them much now.
I also have a set of Caldwell ear muffs. They were a $40 set (a gift) and they're less effective at amplification. I don't think I've ever used them without foam ear plugs at the same time while shooting off the benchrest. They're thinner in profile than the Peltor Tac 8's, and are comfortable to wear.

crazyboutduck

I have the Tac8’s as well and love em. I use them religiously when shooting my .300 blackout. I have a tanker style muzzle brake on it which throws the sound diagonally back and it is very loud. But, it’s not an issue with my Peltors.

Bad Karma

According to reports the Pig Brig is a great hog trap.

i shot some more little pigs as did a neighbor. Also contacted the hog doggers in that area. Told them to chase the hogs into the Red River.
Holy Thread Drift Batman!!!

that trap looks like the slickest, easiest way to corral a bunch of hogs without educating the ones that don’t make it into the trap... looks like they ALL make it into the trap if you’re patient.