The Problem With Hogs

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The state of NY wouldn't allow hunting of pigs and we are starting to get a lot of them in the Southern part of the state. Here's a quota from the state DEC:

"It is illegal in New York to hunt, trap or take any free-ranging Eurasian boar. This law was passed to discourage the illegal release of boars for hunting. Illegal release is the primary way feral swine are expanding across the US."

A lotta years ago I bought Peltor Tac 8's for competitive pistol shooting and deer hunting. They're a large muff, and for me, not good on a shotgun, but I've never had a problem with mounting any rifle, off the bench, in a blind or free standing. They used to cost $180 and I believe they've come down in price. They're supposed to be "stereo", so you can tell what direction a sound comes from. I can't really tell if this works. They work great in a blind or a stand, and in Wisconsin's cold winters, help keep your ears warm. They have adjustable volume, so if you choose to wear them while walking in the woods on leaves or snow, you can adjust the volume so the sound of your footsteps isn't disruptive. Of course that also limits their effectiveness at amplifying the noise of a deer footsteps (as he runs away). The noise of the wind was occasionally a problem. Simply turning your head a few degrees eliminated the wind noise. Both of my brothers bought the Peltor Tac 7's, a thinner profile muff. They both like theirs. IIRC, they reduce sound by around 30 decibels. I usually wear both foam ear plugs and muffs when I shoot of the bench. If you think they amplify too much noise from leaves or snow while walking, you're probably walking too heavy and/or too fast. The labrador lying at my side right now got ahold of mine a few years ago, and chewed on the foam/plastic ear cups. Supposedly they're replaceable, but I couldn't get the replacements to attach, so I don't use them much now.
I also have a set of Caldwell ear muffs. They were a $40 set (a gift) and they're less effective at amplification. I don't think I've ever used them without foam ear plugs at the same time while shooting off the benchrest. They're thinner in profile than the Peltor Tac 8's, and are comfortable to wear.

I have the Tac8’s as well and love em. I use them religiously when shooting my .300 blackout. I have a tanker style muzzle brake on it which throws the sound diagonally back and it is very loud. But, it’s not an issue with my Peltors.

According to reports the Pig Brig is a great hog trap.

i shot some more little pigs as did a neighbor. Also contacted the hog doggers in that area. Told them to chase the hogs into the Red River.
Holy Thread Drift Batman!!!

that trap looks like the slickest, easiest way to corral a bunch of hogs without educating the ones that don’t make it into the trap... looks like they ALL make it into the trap if you’re patient.

The pig brig is a good concept. Expensive one too. I do not have any experience with corral traps. In Florida you are not allowed to shoot an animal within a hundred yards of feeder or feed. So in my state ,I do not know the legality of dispatching a pig out of one of those baited pins. A PVC power snare is a good way to go. they're cheap ,and and mostly only cost you time. they're good for coyote, bobcat ,and pig you don't want to make the pressure plate bigger than 4 in .if you have bear in the area or using bottled odors. in Florida we are not allowed foot traps so we use power snares.

i've used spring pole snares to catch hogs.
Steel foot traps wouldn't hold them anyway. If you have access to a chicken coop .save some of the bedding when it gets changed .put it around the trap in three places. With a little bit in the front and behind the trap in two bigger places are put bigger piles in the back . So you have a triangle with the trap in the middle.what it does is makes them come in and shuffle around from right to left over the trap trying to smell back and forth between the piles .works like a charm.

Arkansas national forests are overrun with them. But the game and fish will let u hunt them in deer season only. That is so BS. I couldn't hardly squirrel hunt last fall. And turkey hunt this spring for the hogs coming by. But on private land u can shoot hogs 24/7 365. Any method of hunting. Game and Fish says u can shoot them and leave them.

Good job! I have shot thousands of hogs over my career, I have done eradication on two college campuses and a local ranch. I think the best eating is a sow between 90 and 100 pounds.

best eating is a sow between 90 and 100 pounds.
I dont have the experience you do but the few I shot I would agree. We always laughed about getting a 25-30 pound sow and putting it over the camp fire with a few ears of corn. Or even several 4-5 pound piglets and eat them like grouse. YUM. Trouble is when a dozen or so show up I instinctively go to a larger pig.

Do you find trichinosis in the Pigs you're harvesting??
i don't now, never had them tested. The solution to trichinosis, be it domestic hogs or wild animals, is to properly cook the meat. i've read articles that state that 5-15 percent of wild hogs are infected with trichinosis.

https://oklahoma.gov/health-old/pre...rvice/disease-information/trichinellosis.html
BTW: i prefer wild hog meat over domestic pork and beef. The meat from healthy wild hogs don't even resemble domestic pork.

Back