The Rock Deluxe Rest by Caldwell

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flhtr

Reaction score
I am considering on buying one of these shooting rests. Any info about this rest is welcomed.

I bought the rest today and I'm having trouble attaching the retaining side plates that holds the bag in place. If there's anyone out there that owns one of these rest, I could use your help. Thanks. Update: No need to reply to this post, my better half figured it out for me! :oops: :lol:

Go to the Midway web site, look up the product, and read all of the customer reviews. Those will list the issues experienced.

Most say the rest is a good one but there were some issues with missing parts and some of the bolt/screw holes were not threaded cleanly. The front bag included with the rest is said to be too wide and many bought a better more narrow front bag. You will also have to buy a separate rear bag.

For the total cost, one may have been able to buy one of the mechanical rifle rests. Not sure if they are better or not.

Dave

If you are going to spend that much I would go ahead up to the next level and get the BR. While it is not a Sinclair rest it is about as good as you are going to get for the money.

JC

I shoot regular bench rest with smokless and have been usin "the Rock" for years w/o any issues. My 308 heavy barrel I built myself will give me 1.8" five shot groups at 400 yards using a 168 gr SMK.

This is another one of those items that I want but havn't purchased...i know I would use it...but the cost vs the ability to get by with other things...sand bags...rolls and....I just havn't bought one yet...Congrats on you new rest

Flhtr said:
I am considering on buying one of these shooting rests. Any info about this rest is welcomed.

I use the Rock and really do like it.... the BR is more advantageous but I can afford the Rock

DISCEx1-20.jpg

DISC1-20.jpg

I got mine from Amazon.com

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_ ... Caps%2C303

I have this rest and it is great. I bought to replace a old outers rest that I had when the leather bag I had on it finally wore out. This one is much more stable and stays in place. I did take the rifle stop off of it due to the large variety if guns I shoot. I work a bench at my clubs deer rifle sight in clinic so every year it will literally have a 50+ different rifles shot off it plus my own.

Now a couple of issues. One you can see in the fuzzy pic above. The leveling posts/feet/bolts are way to long. They seem to be 2 1/2 inches long. I replaced them with much shorter bolts from the hardware store. I was always worried that someone would scratch their priceless firearm. The other is the the supplied front bag. Mine failed on the first rifle clinic I had it. so I replaced both the front bag and the tail bag with Protektor Model Owl Ear Front Bag, Medium and their matching tail bag.

To help out Flhtr you install them flat on the top plate and then rotate the up. When this is done little hooks are engaged holding them to rest. Then install the front bag and use tighteners to press against the bag. I would recommend this rest. And after typing all this out I realized the last post on this topic was 6 years ago. Yeah I win the revived old post award for today.

And after typing all this out I realized the last post on this topic was 6 years ago. Yeah I win the revived old post award for today.

:p It’s all good, Free Recoiling Rests are a GOOD Thing to Keep brought up :lewis:

Here is mine, Sinclair International “Basic Top Heavy Varmint” Mine is the CHEAPY one at 299.99, I decided against the Windage adjust, I prefer adjusting windage with the Rear Bag
https://www.sinclairintl.com/shooti...s/sinclair-heavy-varmint-rests-prod57001.aspx
lC1lAnTl.jpg

And the Rear Bag i use
hGbOHlxl.jpg

Last edited:
The Best Value, for Quality is the Bald Eagle Rests From Grizzly industrial, I looked at these back when I bought mine, But ended up choosing the Sinclair.

These Bald Eagle Rests are available in Different Configurations, Along with Cast Iron (HEAVY) or Aluminum for lighter weight.

This is the Model i ALMOST went with, Cast iron “Slingshot” With Windage adjust
09dyfvP.jpg

https://www.grizzly.com/products/Bald-Eagle-Rest-Slingshot-Cast-Iron/BE1006

Hart, and Sinclair/Brownell makes similar rests. The Bald eagles have been around about as long as the Hart. You can find them sometimes reasonable used on a Benchrest site.

Well Why not a Farley Coaxial. They only run a bit over $1K.;):p The knob on the left is vertical and the Joystick in the middle controls windage.

upload_2019-11-22_18-32-25.jpeg

http://www.farleymfg.com/twentyyearcoaxial/twentyyearcoaxial.html

Hart, and Sinclair/Brownell makes similar rests. The Bald eagles have been around about as long as the Hart. You can find them sometimes reasonable used on a Benchrest site.

Well Why not a Farley Coaxial. They only run a bit over $1K.;):p The knob on the left is vertical and the Joystick in the middle controls windage.

View attachment 6203

http://www.farleymfg.com/twentyyearcoaxial/twentyyearcoaxial.html

I have seen them! Here is another Farley Built Exclusively for Bullet Central, This is where I Bought both of my Bix’ N Andy Ball Bearing Triggers. This Rest is Over 1,400 Bucks :eek:
https://www.bulletcentral.com/product/limited-edition-coaxial-front-rest/

Yup they are not cheap. There is another that I think was made in Canada that is pretty pricey too, but forgot the name of it. I think Farley has one that runs like $1050 off his site. I use an older Hart that is pretty much the same as your Sinclair. I have had 2 of these and both were bought prior to Sinclair starting to make them. Not sure who actually makes them for Sinclair though, pretty much a copy of the Hart.

Just checked and it appears that Hart (RW Hart and son) has stopped selling rests and accessories on their web site.

Don't have a pic of mine by itself. This is it with the standard Varmint top on it. I have another top for 3" wide (Forend) Benchrest rifles too. Mine could stand a little sprucing up, thing is only about 21 or 22 years old.:D
upload_2019-11-23_13-50-56.jpeg

There have been a few times (VERY FEW Though) Where i would have Liked an Adjustable Front, I can get what i need Fairly Quickly, And Efficiently by “Bumping” My Rear Leather Protektor Bag. Before this, i was a Lead Sled Guy, After some BAD experiences, EVEN Using them with ZERO weight added, i got rid of Both Sled Style Rests that i had, and Went to “Free Recoiling” These FR Setups are SO MUCH Better it’s not even Fair to Compare a Sled Style to these.

Yup they are not cheap. There is another that I think was made in Canada that is pretty pricey too, but forgot the name of it. I think Farley has one that runs like $1050 off his site. I use an older Hart that is pretty much the same as your Sinclair. I have had 2 of these and both were bought prior to Sinclair starting to make them. Not sure who actually makes them for Sinclair though, pretty much a copy of the Hart.

Just checked and it appears that Hart (RW Hart and son) has stopped selling rests and accessories on their web site.

Don't have a pic of mine by itself. This is it with the standard Varmint top on it. I have another top for 3" wide (Forend) Benchrest rifles too. Mine could stand a little sprucing up, thing is only about 21 or 22 years old.:D
View attachment 6221

Add some satin to that front rest so the rifle can recoil ;)

Yup satin would sure work!

Both my tops have Cordura bags on them, still have one leather somewhere. I have them in 3", 2 1/4" and one modified for a smaller forend (Anschutz SBR). They started using a Cloth to make them when I stopped competing they just referred to as "SuperSlick" cloth. Maybe it was satin. On most Benchrest rifles we Put Teflon Tape on the forends, we first used Leather front and rear bags (sprayed Suave Deodorant with baby powder on them) to Cordura (Sprayed Silicone on those), both ways worked very well but the cordura was a little better. There was a Range we shot matches at in PA near Hamburg that is at an uphill angle. Most rifles would not stay in the bags unless held some!:eek: Guys shooting Rails in the unlimited class had to put a rubber band on them to keep the tops from sliding off.:D

I had thought about a Windage top myself when competing but never really needed it. I shot "Group" discipline so it was not a real benefit. The guys that shot "Score Discipline" did use them since they only shot one bullet into one target and moved to another Left/Right and up/down. It was pretty much split on who shot off them in Group as back then there were still a lot of "Bag Squeezers" steering the rifle with the rear bag. Most of the bag squeezers shot rear bags with Rabbit ears (Tall), where as I prefer the Bunny ears (Short). The one in the pic above is a Bald Eagle that I got direct from Bill "BigBird" Gebhardt himself (He was Bald Eagle) I almost bought one of his Sling Shots too. I think he passed several years ago. Been out of that game quite a while now. The one thing about all of us did ad was the rear "Speed Screw" to the rear leg. It is in that pic above. Unfortunately I broke mine so just have the regular screw in it now. It would take you from the bottom sighter target to the record target with only about 1 /2 turn.

I still have one rifle in a McMillan Edge Hunter Class 2 1/4" stock but have not shot that rifle in a while. Mostly shooting Varmint rifles and MZ's off mine.

I use Wash Clothes on my Leather front and Rear Bags so my Rifles can Slide, Been doing it FOREVER. I wouldn’t want anything ANY Slicker

With a Real Competition Benchrest Rifle we shot real "Free Recoil". You do not Touch the stock in any way front or Rear and your shoulder was about the thickness of you fingers away from the butt plate. So the Rifle is allowed to Recoil Freely. Once "in the bags" and lined up you just reach over and pull the 1.5oz Jewel Trigger and send it down range. Slide the rifle back to the stop, reload and do it again, 5 times (for record) in 7 minutes. These are Specifically built rifles though too.

Back