The used mold i got used had a bullet

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

improman

Reaction score
It had the bullet still inside for storage ,,hmmm was puzzled about this. ANYONE know the reason?

It not uncommon to store a bullet in the mold. I used to oil the bullet and store in the mold to prevent rust.

It had the bullet still inside for storage ,,hmmm was puzzled about this. ANYONE know the reason?
Having several molds that are very similar, it's helpful to have a bullet stored inside that can be easily popped out, inspected, and measured if necessary. A more organized person might just keep written records, but it's handy to have an actual bullet to look over.

IMHO, some things are so self evident that explanations should also be so self evident! It wasn't removed yet, LOL

Leaving the last cast in the mold helps prevents air and moister from entering the cavities and is practiced by some. Many times the sprue is left uncut also. Many times when one sells a mold he will cast a few boolitz with it to enhance the photos of the sale item. Common sense type of thing.

If you were to do an net search of Say, " why is the last cast left in a boolit mold " you would find several hrs of self education reading.

At least I to have added to my post count with this post! And practiced my social skills, lol

I usually store my molds inside, but I left a few aluminum molds on my bench in the garage one summer. It was only a couple week's time, but when I sat down to use them, I found that Mud wasp's had laid eggs/mud in each cavity that was exposed. That stuff was a bear to get out...so I leave them full of bullets, but with the sprue cut off from now on. Those same suckers have also plugged torch heads, my boat motor discharge port, camper water heater, and various other things.

Back