The very HOT SideKick experience. 7/25/05

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grouse

LIFETIME SUPPORTER
Supporting member
Reaction score
WOW was it hot today. 92 dgrees in the shade. I fixed up my NEF SideKick and gave it to my 74 years young friend. Well it proved to be a pretty descent shooter. By all means a good enough gun for anyone. We got it on the paper with 200grn XTP'S. And the 195grn Barnes seem to be the best shooter in it for us. We shot the gun most of the day at 50yds. That's about all the farther he will shoot anyway. I couldnt believe the 200grn ShockWaves didnt shoot that well out of it. :? The trigger on this gun is Awesome. Way better then my Encore or Disc Elite trigger. Those two guns are getting trigger jobs real soon. The load was two 777 pellets and a Blue MMP Sabot with the 195 grn Barnes bullet. The next gun to the Range will be my Disc Elite to try out my new Breach plug. :)

Tom....I think I need a new thunderdome also. :) Let us all know how it works... :)

When I had my Elite, I tried the new breech plug. There was a LOT less blowback into the breech area and the bolt with the new plug! I thought it was worth the twenty some bucks it cost especially if a cleaner gun means anything to you!

Nic_58 said:
When I had my Elite, I tried the new breech plug. There was a LOT less blowback into the breech area and the bolt with the new plug! I thought it was worth the twenty some bucks it cost especially if a cleaner gun means anything to you!

Cleaner means alot to me. I guess that's why i have two Savages. :wink:
The SideKick seems to have alot of Blowback. Wonder if there's a better plug for it?????

Tom,
That is STILL one good gun to beat for the price. Mine was so accurate and forgiving it shot a lot of loads very well. It has a few short comings but don't they ALL! Overall, a VERY nice little gun.

Tom,

2 Pyro pellets and a 348 powerbelt should be an MOA load for you!

big6x6 said:
Tom,
That is STILL one good gun to beat for the price. Mine was so accurate and forgiving it shot a lot of loads very well. It has a few short comings but don't they ALL! Overall, a VERY nice little gun.

Awesome gun for the money. I did shoot two groups at 100yds with the 195grn Barnes. 1 1/2 at 100 yds is great to me. 1/3 the cost of an Encore to boot. :wink:

big6x6 said:
Tom,

The ramrod is too short. So is the ramrod on all break actions, including the Encore. Plastic stock is hollow-- so is an Encore stock. The Sidekick has a better recoil pad, though, and a better plastic stock than my Encore came with.

A synthetic Encore can set you back $650. A Sidekick: $250. No QLA, a plus as far as I'm concerned, and a far better trigger than any Encore I've shot. Whoever says you "get what you pay for" could not possibly have owned both these guns. :shock:

It may sound like I don't like an Encore: not true at all. For the money, there is just nothing to complain about with a Sidekick, unless you just like to complain. Buy a PowerRod and a a little brass jag extension, you have a better ramrod than both. How you'll spend the other $375 you have left I don't know. :roll:

Stay away from 777 pellets. They are not 100% in that gun, hang fires are common with them. Pyro pellets and loose are a sure thing!

Doohan said:
Stay away from 777 pellets. They are not 100% in that gun, hang fires are common with them. Pyro pellets and loose are a sure thing!

Pyro pellets ignite better then 777 pellets???? :? :?

You bet they do-- if you load them the right way, with the black side down toward the breechplug.

The black side is blackpowder, called an 'Accelerant Pad' or 'igniter end' or other such terms is just blackpowder.

Latest posts

Back