Thermacell Mosquito Repellent

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toolman

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone had tried the Thermacell mosquito repellent
that's on the market, specifically while whitetail hunting.

We have tons of mosquitos down in south Alabama and would like to use it, if it does not give off an odor that scares deer away.

Thanks

TM

I live and hunt in NE Fla.and the bugs are bad here too.They are not 100% effective but they work and I won't hunt without one,especially during archery season.I don't think scent is an issue as I have had many deer under my stand with it burning.I have heard people even putting a few drops of cover scent on the pad just in case.I consider it to be just as important as a sharp knife or good boots.

They work GREAT! I killed one of my biggest deer last year while using one too! It takes about 30 minutes for them to start working but they really work like magic! I've had deer all AROUND me while using them too! I give the Thermacell two thumbs up!

Thanks for the replies, guys.
My wife wants to go hunting with me ( at least sit in the tree) some this year and she is like a mosquito magnet!

She will be happy to hear your comments.

I have used one for the past 2 years and I believe that they DO work..and work well. I ordered a ton of replacment pads and fuel cells form a site that I found (good price) because I truely believe in the product. Works best if it's not too windy for obvious reasons.

I might be wrong but I think you're talking about a battery operated unit.
I've seen them and some are available with a deer attractant scent.

I stand corrected. Had another look at the ones I spoke of and you're right. You can get them in either mosquito repellent of deer attractant.

Hello Guys,

The first Thermacell mosquito repellent gadget was the 8″ by 3″ thing appeared in the photograph at right. From that point forward, the organization has presented a wide assortment of gadget styles, from convenient ones like the first to lamps (finish with lights) and unpretentious apparatuses that are intended to remain outside on your gallery, porch or deck.

jemesthomus89 said:
Hello Guys,

The first Thermacell mosquito repellent gadget was the 8″ by 3″ thing appeared in the photograph at right. From that point forward, the organization has presented a wide assortment of gadget styles, from convenient ones like the first to lamps (finish with lights) and unpretentious apparatuses that are intended to remain outside on your gallery, porch or deck.

I’m gonna go out on a Limb here and say that I highly doubt these guy’s that were in this thread are stil keeping up with it today, You do realize this was back in 2006 Right?

I just saw this thread and wanted to say that I purchased one after being eatin up in a duck blind in Montana a couple of years ago. I use it mainly picking huckleberries and it works awesome!

It works for me. If you want a spray repellent, try Sawyers, check all of them as they have different applications.

Have used one for years - works great - seems to form cocoon around you - you can actually see mosquitos turn away

There are YouTube videos on how to refill the butane canisters. It works and you'll save allot of $$ buying butane in bulk as the butane cartridges will empty before the chemical pad has been depleted which means that you've always got more pads than you've got fuel..

https://youtu.be/8dvQeAjv3eg

Razor62 said:
There are YouTube videos on how to refill the butane canisters. It works and you'll save allot of $$ buying butane in bulk as the butane cartridges will empty before the chemical pad has been depleted which means that you've always got more pads than you've got fuel..

https://youtu.be/8dvQeAjv3eg

Odd you say that as I have used 2 pads and still have about half a canister of butane.

Same here

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Early season I always have 2 Thermacells in my pack at all times. They absolutely work.

You can purchase butane refills fills for portable curling irons that women use, those cartridges are usually cheaper to buy, check your local walmart

How does it work on a windy day??

Depends on how windy it is. If it's windy enough the mosquitoes hunker down anyway, at least that's been my experience in the bogs of both AK and FL. If the wind isn't strong enough to knock the vampires down, I set a thermacell upwind so I'm in the plume, and that works pretty well. In a tree stand I hang it on the upwind side of the tree or stand to be as much in the plume as possible, although being off the ground already really helps how many biters there are.

Latest posts

Back