They really do play possum

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, That name is for real :) I have seen them do it when hunting with Terriers, if a Dog grabs one, They won’t fight much to speak of, They play Dead.

Ha, when I was workin on the west coast I had one that I thought was dead on the porch of my motel. I went to give it a kick off the porch and the grinning little sob jumped up hissing and scared the pudding out of me.

They have a HECK of a Row of Teeth! There just not much of a Fighting Critter though, When compared to something like a Raccoon anyway :D

Uggh! First time i ever saw one, i had walked up on a roadkilt deer, that was wiggling on its own, next to a trail i was hiking. This blood and guts covered little monster backs out of the ribcage and turns toward me and bares about a bazillion razor sharp teeth and hiss/growls at me. Blood and rotten guts drippin off his face. Flies buzzing all around him. So disgusting, and terrifying cuz i had never seen anything like it before. I thought it was going to attack me so i just ran off and managed to not puke. I steer clear of road kill now.

I came home about sunset one summer evening, as I pulled up the garage I saw my 3 dogs huddled around something. Oh great! I broke them up to find them working over a possum. I put the dogs in their kennel so that I can discard the remains of the critter. As I return to the crime scene there is no possum. I look around and see it trying to eat all of my cherry tomatoes. Usually they get a free pass because of their appetite for ticks, but this time it got a fatal blast from my Rossi matched pair .410 barrel.

They are all over here! I see them just about every day. I believe they are scavengers and will eat anything from worms, grubs and bird seed. I feed the birds so I get them along with skunks squirrels and coons.

Here in N VA these critters are not very welcome. A whole lot of expensive horse flesh lives here.
Equine Protozoal Myelitis, or EPM, is a neurologic disease of horses caused by a parasite called Sarcocystis neurona, or less frequently by Neospora hugesi. Horses acquire the parasite from ingesting feed or water contaminated with feces of infected opossums.

They are pretty disgusting most of the time but very unusual. They are North America's only marsupial. They give birth and carry their young in a belly pouch. Also, the young half grown pups will cling to and hitch a ride on the mother's back. Quite a sight to witness running across the field. Popular recipe is to cook them on a pine plank, discard the possum and eat the plank!

Latest posts

Back