things are getting in pick mode now

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrTom

Reaction score
This is the first picking of beans from the row crops. The pole variety is just now getting ready to blossom and they'll come later. Judging by the beans and flowers in the bush beans I'll be busy picking there for some time yet.

4eAICQN.jpg

The bell peppers could use some rain but look to be about five days from picking. My hot peppers - a relative term as compared to some who grow peppers here - are thick. I was worried that the Jalapenos were going to dud on me but that's not the case as the plants are heavy with them and the other hotter types are going wild with peppers.

The tomatoes are coming now with a mix between the standard tomatoes and the cheery variety. Cukes are a few days out yet. Looks to be a great season now if we can avoid hail.

Hey Mr Tom,

At the risk of sounding stupid.. :roll: What do you do with the pickled beans? Do you just eat them like Pickles or use them other ways. I don't recall anyone back home pickling Beans but had recently seen an article about pickled veggies and beans were on the top of the list. Which beans to you like best for this? They sound good.

Yep.....chow on them just like a dill pickle. Best if they're chilled.

The green beans you see in this picture are super pickled. Basically one would simply have a brine for dilled pickles ready and hot while the beans get washed off and the ends snipped off. A head of dill goes in the bottom of each jar along with a clove of garlic and maybe even a hot pepper or two, then another head of dill covers the beans. Add a 1/4 tsp of powdered alum for some tart. Pour in the brine one jar at a time and seal the jars with lids coming right out of some boiling water. When the lids are all sealed and sucked down on the jars just let the jars rest for a couple weeks and they'll be ready to use.

Very tasty and very much like a dill pickle. They go really good with a cold beer. Cheese curds would put this little snack time over the top....maybe even some sliced venison summer sausage.

Thanks. Ever since seeing that article I can't seem to stop thinking about making some.

Tomatoes are coming on fast right now and I had about twenty that I needed to do something with...quick like, so I made a batch of spaghetti sauce. Half of the sauce is in a bowl in the fridge for tomorrow's pasta dinner and the rest sits in this sealed up jar for enjoyment when the snow flies.

Attachments

• IMG_1979.JPG
    IMG_1979.JPG
    92.2 KB · Views: 626
Good looking Stuff! Home Grown, and Home made just Can’t be beat :yeah:

I did more today. The tomatoes are really full of flavor this year. The cukes are getting good too now. My squash has developed a mind of its own and has possessed the whole veggie garden as well as one of Ma's flower beds right next door. Ain't good for me but must be good for the squash. They've gone up and over a fence now with squash hanging there.

Zucchini is one of my favorites, I was gonna plant a Couple of Hills this year, but didn’t get around to it. It’s not hard to find it, About everyone around with a Garden is Glad to give it away after it really gets going, I usually end up with plenty left on my Porch from friends :yeah:

Back