Things are slow--even truck is interesting

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sideshow

Reaction score
Well.....its so !!!! Lol !!! Yea this is boredom at play . Good time to plan how to make our mz's better . What have you dreamed up ???

I got bored over the holidays and decided it was time to see what my old .54 New Englander could do so I ordered a couple bullet molds and am now messing around with patches, powder volume, lubes and trigger trying to get it to shoot a group. I have to keep myself entertained for 6 weeks until AZ javelina season opens then it will be the long summer wait until big game hunting.

I got bored over the holidays and decided it was time to see what my old .54 New Englander could do so I ordered a couple bullet molds and am now messing around with patches, powder volume, lubes and trigger trying to get it to shoot a group. I have to keep myself entertained for 6 weeks until AZ javelina season opens then it will be the long summer wait until big game hunting.
Always wanted to shoot me one of them little pigs . They tasty ??

Taste like a lean pork. Trick is to get the hide off without touching the meat to much then change rubber gloves. They stink and have a sent gland that can pollute the heck out of the meat if one isn't careful but all that is removed while skinning.

I'm gonna do some more small game hunting, especially squirrels an if a rabbit shows up he's in trouble too. I actually prefer squirrel meat to venison. I can see the day I won't be physically able to deer hunt any longer, but will continue to small game hunt till I can't hold onto my gun or fry them up for supper! :elmer:

I'm gonna do some more small game hunting, especially squirrels an if a rabbit shows up he's in trouble too. I actually prefer squirrel meat to venison. I can see the day I won't be physically able to deer hunt any longer, but will continue to small game hunt till I can't hold onto my gun or fry them up for supper! :elmer:
Yuuum--Yum !!! Squirrel gravy and taters !!! I like small game hunting (birds) best myself !!! Too bad the pheasant and quail are about gone cuz of predators !!! I gotta drive north 4hrs to hunt ruffled grouse !!!! I know those trips are precious and few in the future . Wish i still had at least 1 Brittany !!!! A good dog is EVERYTHING for birds !!!!
Small game hunting is dying up here . Hardly anybody does it in southern michigan anymore . Very sad . It was my 1st love !!!! Alot of action in a day if youre in a good area . I miss that .
My Dad was in the service , ww2, with all the eventual great bird dog trainers of the day training war dogs . They were friends and comrades lifelong . Great way to grow up !!!!!

Yuuum--Yum !!! Squirrel gravy and taters !!! I like small game hunting (birds) best myself !!! Too bad the pheasant and quail are about gone cuz of predators !!! I gotta drive north 4hrs to hunt ruffled grouse !!!! I know those trips are precious and few in the future . Wish i still had at least 1 Brittany !!!! A good dog is EVERYTHING for birds !!!!
Small game hunting is dying up here . Hardly anybody does it in southern michigan anymore . Very sad . It was my 1st love !!!! Alot of action in a day if youre in a good area . I miss that .
My Dad was in the service , ww2, with all the eventual great bird dog trainers of the day training war dogs . They were friends and comrades lifelong . Great way to grow up !!!!!

I miss those days of hunting over a great dog/s for grouse. I agree, a good dog is everything and a highly trained dog is unreplaceable. I miss watching my Gordons work.
Those days have long past for many of us, but the memories will last forever.

I love squirrel gravy over mash taters! Doesn't get any better...but my Dr. says no more gravy. I still fry them tho, not really the best for you, but the best way I like them! Gotta go somehow, might as well be happy!! I have never hunted birds with dogs, guess I missed out from what others say, sure looks like a lot of fun! I have hunted rabbits with dogs, that in itself is a lot of fun! Like said darn coyotes have just about wiped out the rabbits around here. At least coyotes can't climb trees yet to get the squirrels!!! :D

I miss those days of hunting over a great dog/s for grouse. I agree, a good dog is everything and a highly trained dog is unreplaceable. I miss watching my Gordons work.
Those days have long past for many of us, but the memories will last forever.
Yea im alot slower than i used to be . My get up and go got up and went !!! Lol . !!!
I still try though , surrender is a BAD WORD yet !!!! This fall i took on Dec 21 has got my attention though . Still hurting yet but cellulitus is getting better in my leg . Used to be like a anvil !!! Things are changeing a little too soon for my liking thats for sure . Young guy is starting to feel trapped ya know .......at least a bit of a hostage at times .

I love squirrel gravy over mash taters! Doesn't get any better...but my Dr. says no more gravy. I still fry them tho, not really the best for you, but the best way I like them! Gotta go somehow, might as well be happy!! I have never hunted birds with dogs, guess I missed out from what others say, sure looks like a lot of fun! I have hunted rabbits with dogs, that in itself is a lot of fun! Like said darn coyotes have just about wiped out the rabbits around here. At least coyotes can't climb trees yet to get the squirrels!!! :D
Im about ready to start hunting them SOB's !!!!! I HATE yotes !!!!

Im about ready to start hunting them SOB's !!!!! I HATE yotes !!!!
The coyote , the wolf , and the hyenia are the 3 predators that routinely eat their prey while its still ALIVE !!! I dont much care for that.......

Coyotes are not protected here in MN, and open to hunt year around. Those critters show up around my place, they're gonna get a dose of lead. Most yotes have mange. Don't want my dogs exposed to mange. A guy has to do what a guy has to do.

Coyotes are not protected here in MN, and open to hunt year around. Those critters show up around my place, they're gonna get a dose of lead. Most yotes have mange. Don't want my dogs exposed to mange. A guy has to do what a guy has to do.
Ive discovered they like to eat half a big car wash sponge soaked iin bacon grease . Dont take long and no more songs......:2cool:

Yea im alot slower than i used to be . My get up and go got up and went !!! Lol . !!!
I still try though , surrender is a BAD WORD yet !!!! This fall i took on Dec 21 has got my attention though . Still hurting yet but cellulitus is getting better in my leg . Used to be like a anvil !!! Things are changeing a little too soon for my liking thats for sure . Young guy is starting to feel trapped ya know .......at least a bit of a hostage at times .

When I hit 65 that's when things really became more noticeable. Its just part of life everyone will deal with in their own way. I surly miss those days of waking up to darn early, then having to wait what seemed like an eternity for 10:00am. Everyone crowded around with open doubles over their shoulders, dogs rearing to go.

Things just start falling apart, with some sooner than others. Once my knee went and I had the surgery, it hasn't been right yet. It really affects my balance, both physically and mentally. It was part of the reason for my fall on the concrete patio and I thought I broke my hip. Ended up using a walker for a bit :(
The one thing I think of more lately is, when will it be my last hunt. That day will come. But us old guys, we'll keep on plugging away, doing what we can, while we still can. We might not be able to do what we used to, but we can still have fun with what we have left.

When I hit 65 that's when things really became more noticeable. Its just part of life everyone will deal with in their own way. I surly miss those days of waking up to darn early, then having to wait what seemed like an eternity for 10:00am. Everyone crowded around with open doubles over their shoulders, dogs rearing to go.

Things just start falling apart, with some sooner than others. Once my knee went and I had the surgery, it hasn't been right yet. It really affects my balance, both physically and mentally. It was part of the reason for my fall on the concrete patio and I thought I broke my hip. Ended up using a walker for a bit :(
The one thing I think of more lately is, when will it be my last hunt. That day will come. But us old guys, we'll keep on plugging away, doing what we can, while we still can. We might not be able to do what we used to, but we can still have fun with what we have left.

I told my wife to "release me back into the wild" when i get senile or dementia or Alzheimer's or whatever.

FIGHT !!!! Dr Axe Ancient Nutrition "Bone Broth Protein" is miracle working stuff !!!! Its turned my clock back 10+ yrs !!!! If ive ever told you ANYTHING worth a dam pay attention to this one !!!!!!!!!!!! The difference is unbelieveable !!!!!!
4-27-98 i had a MAJOR motorcycle crash . Got a helecopter ride to U of M Hospital where they could not belive i survived the 75mph impact . During that crash the 640lbs of bike hit me in tbe back hard enough to severely bend the frame and break the engine in two pieces (Yamaha v--max) . I KNOW pain . Skeletal , soft tissue , and organ damage was intense . Jesus was good to me cuz im a walkin talkin miracle !!!! The road back was rough but......if i tell you a health product is good pick that gold nugget up and RUN WITH IT !!!!!!! Just sayin.....
Yes , im a tough old bastard lol.......

Last edited:

Encore50a did you read my reply above ?? If im lyin DUNAMIS wont shoot either . Thats a fact . George ive found a few things that have made a HUGE difference for this beat up ole body and thats one of them . EVERYBODY that gave this stuff a honest try has come back to me with joyous thank yous . I "changed their life " they say . Please , please give it a try . Youll be amazed at the difference in what you can do and feel like . Put it too the test and just see if i cant hit the bullseye for you too !!!!

Latest posts

Back