Think before you act!!!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matthew323

Reaction score
Here in Maryland, one of the state's east of the Mississippi river projected to be hardest hit by the Covid-19 virus, the early warning signs of what is yet to come for almost ALL heavily populated areas (3000 or more population), has already started to occur.

As I suspected 2 months ago, the elderly were going to be the first demographic to rapidly die off.

A nursing home in Carroll County, has lost 10 patients in less than a week, more than 75% of the patients are infected, most of the staff is positive, and the doctor running the place is NOWHERE TO BE FOUND. Hiding out at home because he tested positive, leaving his nursing staff in the lurch with ZERO SUPERVISION AND HELP.

Those people who did their best to help QUICKLY ran out of EVERYTHING critically necessary to do their jobs, including bottled oxygen.

When the government was notified, and stepped in to help, their list of 500 plus volunteers quickly became USELESS, as person, after person, including DOCTORS, refused to enter the nursing home with its quickly dying patients.

ONE doctor, just one, stepped up and entered to help those who truly needed help. Quarantining himself from his family in order to do so.

Any of this sound familiar? Like during, or the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina?

I live in a homeless shelter for veterans in downtown Baltimore City. I am 65 years old. We are self-isolating with only 1 hour per week to leave the facility to conduct business.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had to stop, and use that 1 hour to go do some things before I could finish my thoughts on the above post.

The very young, and the elderly are extremely at risk. If your immune system is compromised in any fashion you are at risk. The more compromised, especially one's respiratory system, the more at risk you are.

Nursing homes are quite simply, in my opinion, one of the most at risk places to be living, when this disease strikes.

The way that the nursing facilities in the United States, and all of the other affected countries thus far, have QUICKLY run out of all necessary disposables, medicines, and tools; should be a wake up call for how bad it is going to get.

If there was ever a sign that out sourcing ANYTHING CRITICAL FOR ANY TYPE OF AN EMERGENCY, ESPECIALLY A MEDICAL EMERGENCY, to a country with cheap labor that DOES NOT HAVE YOUR BEST INTERESTS AT HEART; this Covid-19 crisis with China looming in the background, should be the wake up call of all wake up calls.

So, to the title of this thread.

When you have to interact with others, give some serious thought to how you are going to do so.

Taking what some think are outlandish precautions does not seem so silly to me now that I read last night that the Covid-19 virus has jumped from humans to tigers at the Bronx Zoo. With 5 tigers testing positive for the virus.

Bruce

Before we do anything we think it through Bruce. If you need groceries take a look around the house. Peanut butter, canned soup, you will be surprised how much food you still have. Use it up and when you go to the grocery store I get about 2 weeks worth. Dont want to hoard but dont want to keep going back.

When I went to the store I wore a face mask and gloves. Had a list in order as things are arranged on the shelf and whizzed by it all and picked it up. I carry a squirt bottle of home made alcohol :). I spray my hands and throw the gloves in the back of the truck. I spray my hands again and rub it over my face. I keep Listerine in the truck and gargle with it then snort it up my nose then blow my nose. After getting home I set stuff in the garage and my wife wipes it all down with bleach and such before bringing it in. I strip in the garage and take all the cloths directly to the washing machine. Then I take a shower.

Im 70 miles from downtown Detroit. My daughter in law is working is working at Beaumont Hospital 10 miles from downtown. We take this real serious. I come in contact for groceries and Post Office. Other than that I spend my time at my mom and dads property shooting and sitting in the blind watching turkeys, deer, squirrels, birds and such. iM TRYING TO WEAR OUT MY MUZZLE LOADER. SHOOTING ABOUT 25 TIMES A DAY. :snipe:

I live in Frederick county Maryland. The virus seems to be slowly working it's way here. Some of our nursing homes have been hit as well. My wife works at a nursing home here. Life and work have been very stressful for her right now. She is working extra long days, weekends and performing duties beyond her job description and pay grade. She is a strong woman and a true trooper.
I just hope and pray that our country heals and gets back to normal as soon as possible. The collateral damage this virus is causing is tremendous. Some of which we have yet to see.
Please be careful and stay healthy everyone.

Hatchet Jack, I just said a prayer for your wife. Its people like that who will get us through this. We all need to help where we can. Maybe go mow a nurses (or other medical personnel) lawn, rake leaves, yard work, change car oil, or do some outside work for them. Take a little burden off of them and show your appreciation. Jack, Im sure your doing the household stuff. Washing cloths, clean house, so she doesnt have too when she gets home. To pitch in my wife has made over 200 masks. She likes to sew and happened to have supplies in house when this all happened. Tell your wife thank you from me.

Here in Maryland, one of the state's east of the Mississippi river projected to be hardest hit by the Covid-19 virus, the early warning signs of what is yet to come for almost ALL heavily populated areas (3000 or more population), has already started to occur.

As I suspected 2 months ago, the elderly were going to be the first demographic to rapidly die off.

A nursing home in Carroll County, has lost 10 patients in less than a week, more than 75% of the patients are infected, most of the staff is positive, and the doctor running the place is NOWHERE TO BE FOUND. Hiding out at home because he tested positive, leaving his nursing staff in the lurch with ZERO SUPERVISION AND HELP.

Those people who did their best to help QUICKLY ran out of EVERYTHING critically necessary to do their jobs, including bottled oxygen.

When the government was notified, and stepped in to help, their list of 500 plus volunteers quickly became USELESS, as person, after person, including DOCTORS, refused to enter the nursing home with its quickly dying patients.

ONE doctor, just one, stepped up and entered to help those who truly needed help. Quarantining himself from his family in order to do so.

Any of this sound familiar? Like during, or the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina?

I live in a homeless shelter for veterans in downtown Baltimore City. I am 65 years old. We are self-isolating with only 1 hour per week to leave the facility to conduct business.
Damn Bruce, my heart goes out to ya havin to stay where you are. I'm from AA co & Calvert co. In all to familiar with Baltimore city. That has got to suck bad. I heard southern md is gettin cases poppin up pretty regularly. DC is gonna be a nightmare as well. Take care

I live in Frederick county Maryland. The virus seems to be slowly working it's way here. Some of our nursing homes have been hit as well. My wife works at a nursing home here. Life and work have been very stressful for her right now. She is working extra long days, weekends and performing duties beyond her job description and pay grade. She is a strong woman and a true trooper.
I just hope and pray that our country heals and gets back to normal as soon as possible. The collateral damage this virus is causing is tremendous. Some of which we have yet to see.
Please be careful and stay healthy everyone.

I have made my peace with God as to whether or not I survive this virus. It is my belief that I was infected with it long ago, probably some time in Jan., or Feb.

Modern air travel, tourism, the necessity for international business relationships, the movement of manufactured goods, etc., ensured that the virus moved quickly around the world within weeks of its release.

Whether I am asymptomatic, or have a natural immunity (NOT everyone is going to get sick) I believe that I have been exposed to it by virtue of where I live, the number of times per week/month that I normally visit the VA Hospital, and a host of other factors.

In a circle of less than 2 miles in diameter, the area of downtown Baltimore where MCVET is located is surrounded by......

Main Post Office regional hub
Juvenile Justice Detention Center
Baltimore City Hall
BCPD Headquarters
BCFD Headquarters
BCPD Central Booking
Baltimore Gas & Electric main offices
BG&E main yard and substation
John's Hopkins Hospital
Mercy Hospital
VA Hospital
University of Maryland Medical System
University of Maryland Law School
University of Maryland Dental School
University of Maryland Medical School
The National Aquarium
The Inner Harbor, and all of It's attractions
Multiple churches
Whole Foods
Streets Market
Aldis (2)
Safeway (2)
Wal-Mart (2)
Target (2)
Dollar stores (5)
High rise apartments
Low income housing
Crack houses
Shooting galleries
Hundreds upon hundreds of homeless people.
Drug use & drug dealing on practically every corner between MCVET and the VA Hospital.

So to think that I have not yet been exposed to the Covid-19 virus would be silly, wishful thinking.

In addition, I have had an unshakeable mild "cold" since the last week of September. Doctor at the VA has taken blood twice. I have been looked at, and declared that there is nothing outwardly wrong with me.

But, I sneeze 2-4 times in a row, 5-6 times a day. Every once in a while, maybe once a day, I cough 2-3 times. No sore throat, no scratchy throat. No need for cough drops, or cough syrup. I feel like I have been running at 85-90% for months. Some days I feel great, and other days I feel like crap.I sleep when I need to, sometimes for an entire day.

But, it's not the corona virus. I don't know what bug I have had since late last summer, but it sucks.

Like I posted earlier, if GOD wants to take me via this Covid-19 virus, then I have made my peace with it.

As well as whatever consequences that occur in society as a result of the virus itself, and mankind's hubris in dealing with the virus. There will always be opportunist's who will try and use a crisis to further their own ends. God help us if this leads to civil war.

Bruce

Another thing to put this panic into perspective.

If the scientists and doctors are to be believed, and for the sake of this discussion let us assume that the original projections as to mortality are correct.

Which is to say that the total death rate was going to be 2-3%.

With a planet wide population of 7.8 billion people, that means that 234 million people will die.

But, what we tend to forget, and WHAT THE MEDIA NEVER MENTIONS WHEN QUOTING DEATH STATISTICS, is that those 234 million deaths are going to occur over a 3-4 year long period.

234,000,000 ÷ 4 = 58,500,000

Now, also take into consideration that at least 50% of those deaths were going to occur anyway, they were just speeded up by the Corona virus. We are talking about people that were already very sick from a host of other reasons/diseases.

The corona virus isn't going to just magically kill off all of the already sick people at one time. It's going to happen in stages.

Because, people will continue to eat unhealthy food, smoke tobacco, not exercise, refuse to follow their doctor's recommendations, indulge in risk sports, etc.

And, also consider that the United States has the best medical system in the world for a large population.

None of the shortages, with perhaps the exception of the N95 masks, MAKES ANY SENSE TO ME.

Manufacturers for everything else could have been found here in the USA back in January, and the shortages avoided.

So, the accelerated death rates that are starting to occur are the result of poor training, piss poor implementation of that training, lack of critical disposable/non-disposable supplies.

And, that can all be traced back to a lack of national leadership. The media was allowed to fear monger when it was not in the country's best interest to do so. I am not saying that we should have suspended the 5th Ammendment, but instructions to the heads of the cable news channels to start performing some serious due diligence before airing statistics on Covid-19, would have gone a long way to moderate the panic.

What I think might happen is that the United States will have fewer deaths due to the virus, but the consequences of the reactions to the virus will end up killing as many, if not more, people than the virus itself.

I dont want to switch directions here but most of the media is not our friend. They are looking for shock type headlines to get your attention and the accuracy is not a concern to them. In fact they often take facts (or make up false facts, a contradiction ) out of context to get the desired reaction because they cant get the desired reaction by reporting the truth. The professionalism in journalism is nearly gone.

I dont want to switch directions here but most of the media is not our friend. They are looking for shock type headlines to get your attention and the accuracy is not a concern to them. In fact they often take facts (or make up false facts, a contradiction ) out of context to get the desired reaction because they cant get the desired reaction by reporting the truth. The professionalism in journalism is nearly gone.
GREAT POST! IT NEEDED TO BE SAID. Thank you. I'm usually the one to speak up & drop the fact/reality/rationality/logic grenade in ppls lap or toss it into the middle of the table so to speak. Truth is, I'm so sick & tired of usually being called " just cynical " & the only one to do it or the only one that bases what I'm saying ONLY on ( since I've never been to UC Berkley or any place like that ) FACTS & REALITY 1st (because they DO NOT HURT MY FEELINGS) to pl that either lack the capacity to understand, or what I'm saying they can not let it get past what they think or " feel < which means - think<" usually based on total delusion & or idiocy based on not knowing jack about jack in truth & reality & have listened to inaccurate, incomplete, misleading & biasedly construed information or nothing at all, or they simply do not care or want to hear it. So I now usually sit in silence, usually shaking my head & trying to not let LOLs or F-ME come flying outta my piehole while " those kinda discussions " take place. I must admit though, I do so love it when another like me still plays the roll of that 800lb gorilla in the room& with one or two sentences can usually totally shut down many " discussions " by destroying the very foundation of the discussion bc its NOT bases on TRUTH/FACT & or reliable, fact checked/researched irrefutable unbiased data to begin with. So everything thought & said after that is just BS banter & nothing more. However that is the perfect stage for the delusional & idiots to be heard with " what they THINK ". I have NO TIME nor TOLERANCE for those ppl or any of that ridiculousness. So now, I just lettem talk & keep my 2 cents to myself. MOST OF THE TIME LOL
Great job steppin right up brotha!

Latest posts

Back