THOMPSON CENTER .50 Black Diamond XR 209 Sainless Muzzleloader Rifle

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lotus

Reaction score
Does anyone know or have had experiences with a Thompson Center Black Diamond XR? Found one with a stainless steel barrel and 209. Is this a good gun? What is a good price? How much powder/pellets is safe to use? When were they produced? Any info is appreciated!
Thanks

I have a blue barrel one in 50 cal. Works great with 100grs 777 FFG equivalent under a 240 gr XTP in the 44cal/green sabot combo. However, i think its the dirtiest rifle i have, it uses the 209 ignition and i need (someday) to change it to the percussion cap system and see if its any cleaner.

Plumberron a member here has two. He likes them and is very happy with accuracy. One he bought in auction and the other from a second party. I think he paid $150 in the auction. It is blue with wood stock. The other I do not know.

They’re real accurate, good triggers, kind of a pain to clean but not too bad. I have a .45 and .50. Breechplugs are hard to come by so take care of it. They were rated for 3 Pyrodex pellets I think? I used 2 when I used pellets.

Thanks all!
If a choice of either having a Knight LKII with a 209 fpj and stainless steel barrel or a Thompson Center Black Diamond XR with a stainless steel barrel, which would you choose and why? Both have a polymer stock!

Why consider a LKII when a new Wolverine in SS with a Timney trigger is only about $300 shipped?

These are the ones I have the opportunity to purchase!20210329_183325.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210513-142419_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20210513-142419_Google.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 39
How much is he asking for the LKII? I like a TH stock but if its near $300 i would have to choose the Wolverine with the Timney trigger. You cant buy the trigger but you can buy a TH stock. Parts for Knights are still readily available. Parts for the Black Diamond are getting very hard to find if you need them. Even the breech plugs are basically gone.
https://www.muzzleloaders.com/product/wolverine-freedom-muzzleloader/

So the LKII has the timney trigger with 209 conversion and for $200. It is new that was left in the back of a shop and forgot about for 20 years!

No, im pretty sure LKIIs did not have a Timney. They had a Velocity/Vehr trigger which is a knockoff of the Timney. BUT for $200 SNAG IT. Vehr triggers are still pretty good.

He worked for Knight for like 13yrs and 14yrs at Timney.
https://velocitytriggers.com/about/

Last edited:
Interesting GM54-120. Thanks for that information. Btw, that video is badass! Thanks

Ive never seen a Timney trigger on any Knight made after 1995. Most Timney triggers had Timney on them but not all. Vehr triggers had "Knight" on the safety but its possible some did not. A couple years ago Knight went back to Timney and its very obvious they are Timney. They are FULLY adjustable for creep, pull and over travel. Many older Vehr triggers had just pull and creep adjustments but all the Timneys ive seen were fully adjustable. Vehr also made some that are fully adjustable. I got one of the best ones they made and its excellent.

Fully adjustable Vehr on the right. Pull and creep only on the left
z3Bx1yr.jpg

That LKII NIB with that TH stock is worth every penny of the $200.,,,,go snag that sucker NOW. Its a bargain

GM the triggers you show - The Vehr trigger on the left shows the single adjustment for 'pull' the Vehr on the right with two adjustment are for 'pull' and the second is for 'over travel' The creep adjustment on both triggers is at the rear of the trigger assembly.

Two screw trigger

Trigger-Adj-Composite.jpg

Three screw trigger

Knight-3-Screw-Trigger.jpg

New Timney Trigger on Knights

Timney_Target_Trigger.jpg

Great information! Thanks guys! I just took the plung and bought the LKII. Put a crossfire 3x9x50. I think this is a great choice. But that Thompson Center is a really good looking gun....

Attachments

• Resized_20210423_220217.jpeg
    Resized_20210423_220217.jpeg
    65.1 KB · Views: 13
A buddy of mine has a Black Diamond. He bought it back when they first came out.
He never took good care of it and the last I knew, the breech plug was pretty much welded in.

Latest posts

Back