THOMPSON CENTER .50 Black Diamond XR 209 Sainless Muzzleloader Rifle

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Black Diamond is a nice rifle too. There are some things i really like about it vs a Knight plunger gun. At $200 though a NIB old stock LKII TH in SS was too good of a bargain to pass up. You wont ever lose money if you sell it. Plus you can buy virtually any part you want including aftermarket bases. Timney triggers from MKs pop up occasionally on the auction site. Ive seen a few for sale here also. Any Knight plunger gun trigger should fit the LK. You could ask Knight on their FB page in a private message and see if they are willing to sell a Wolverine Timney. It wont be cheap i bet IF they will.

Buy them both.

My .50 caliber Black Diamond is the original model with shorter barrel. It uses #11 cap ignition. My favorite load is 100 grains of Black MZ behind the .40 200 grain SST in crush rib sabot. It is my favorite gun for killing hogs.

ugNffWRl.jpg

Buy them both.

My .50 caliber Black Diamond is the original model with shorter barrel. It uses #11 cap ignition. My favorite load is 100 grains of Black MZ behind the .40 200 grain SST in crush rib sabot. It is my favorite gun for killing hogs.

ugNffWRl.jpg

Im thinking my .45 Black Diamond would make a nice 20" carbine.

I have the Black Diamond 50cal stainless XR. Beautiful gun...the only downside(NOT A BIG DEAL) the breech plug is not designed to shoot BH 209. I talked with member Cayuga about this when he was still a member(may he rest in peace) on this site. He also owned a Black Diamond...

I've owned two black diamonds and they were both good to excellent shooters, the main thing I didn't like is that Tupperware stock. There is a member here that might have a Timney trigger he'd sell if you decide you want one for your Knight. Nice guy, longbowsteve I think he goes by.

Had Knights and Black Diamonds. Can't go wrong with either.
Had 2 Diamonds, both XRs, .45 and a .50. Nothing tough about them, but ditch the 209 module and flame thrower nipples. Go with a Tresco nipple, 11s or musket, and your breech will be less fouled and you'll get more velocity. My .50 got an extra 100 fps ( chrono'd) when I switched, with no other changes.
Good fortune to ya

So I bought the Thompson Center Black Diamond XR. And I put a custom laminated stock on my LKII. One thing I've learned is that you all do a really awesome peer pressure job when it comes to buying guns! Behold my 2 Newest addition to the gun collection!

Attachments

• 20210520_180425.jpg
    20210520_180425.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 41
My regular Black Diamond (not X-R) is what got me started in muzzleloading. Natchez ran a special on the stainless BD for a little over $200, so I bit. Shot that thing a lot and still have it. Plastic sights were kind of a turn-off, but they've been replaced with metal. Accurate, but would throw an occasional flyer. Also light; those 3 pellet loads behind conicals hurt. Besides, it never seemed to do well with pellets.

Finally dialed it back to 90 gr loose Pyrodex and whatever sabots I had on hand. Accuracy (and my shoulder) got a lot better.

Surprised to hear BD parts are scarce. Haven't shot it for a few years; replaced the breech plug just before I quit shooting it. The old plug is around somewhere; don't think it was really bad. I'll probably never sell that gun...it marked the start of my foray into black powder.

Few years ago i was on the Fort Sill private weapons range with the pictured Black Diamond rifle. There was a an army NCO on the range firing a very expensive and very accurate AR-15 rifle. In a good natured way he ragged my muzzleloader and claimed that an old guy like me couldn't possible hit anything.

The rifle that NCO was firing came with target and a five shot group fired at 100 yards by someone at the factory. Another new target also came with the rifle. If the owner could shoot a better five shot group than the factory marksman on the enclosed target he would receive some serious freebies.

Watched as the man put four rounds into a group of about 3/8". There was an expletive as he fired the fifth round. It was out of the group.

Jokingly told the soldier i would take a crack at his group. His reply: "Pop, you can't do it". The planets aligned, the world stopped turning and i obliterated his four shot group with a 250 grain SST bullet.

Latest posts

Back