Thompson Center Patriot .45 Cal “Gong Shoot”

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had several .45's but sold them I have a .36 cal I built from a new unused kit it's unbelievably accurate great guns !

I actually wish that mine was a .36 Cal, No complaints about this .45, But Me being a Bullet Guy, I think it would be REALLY neat to shoot the little 130 Grain Maxi Ball Bullets in the .36 Cal (I have 2 .36 Maxi Molds) On the other hand, The .45 Maxi Ball Bullet is way to Heavy at 245 Grains for the Patriot Pistol, Therefore you are stuck with Patched Roundball in the .45 Cals

I think the .36 Cal Patriot is the Better All Around Choice, For Target and Hunting. For Target, The Little 65 Grain Roundball is gonna have Noticeably less Recoil than the 130 Grain .45 Cal Roundball, And When it comes to Hunting, I will always prefer a Bullet, The Little 130 Grain .36 Maxi Ball BULLET would Be DEADLY! It Weighs the Same as the .45 Roundball, The Ballistics of the Bullet is, and always has been Superior to the Roundball. This is My personal opinion

Last edited:
I actually wish that mine was a .36 Cal, No complaints about this .45, But Me being a Bullet Guy, I think it would be REALLY neat to shoot the little 130 Grain Maxi Ball Bullets in the .36 Cal (I have 2 .36 Maxi Molds) On the other hand, The .45 Maxi Ball Bullet is way to Heavy at 245 Grains for the Patriot Pistol, Therefore you are stuck with Patched Roundball in the .45 Cals

I think the .36 Cal Patriot is the Better All Around Choice, For Target and Hunting. For Target, The Little 65 Grain Roundball is gonna have Noticeably less Recoil than the 130 Grain .45 Cal Roundball, And When it comes to Hunting, I will always prefer a Bullet, The Little 130 Grain .36 Maxi Ball BULLET would Be DEADLY! It Weighs the Same as the .45 Roundball, The Ballistics of the Bullet is, and always has been Superior to the Roundball. This is My personal opinion
I have one of those molds too but the round ball is very accurate I shot a 5 shot string once all in one hole about 1" at 25 yards off hand at one of those squirrel targets and believe it or not I shoot 30 grs.of 3f Swiss it really is very accurate !

This is an old thread but have you tried loading and firing the maxi ball .45 bullet in the Patriot? Maybe it won't stabilize the bullet?

Latest posts

Back