Thompson PTX Bullets

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 20307

Reaction score
Anyone ever use these bullets? I found a large number of these, they were inexpensive and they shoot like a dream out of my Knight Disc Elite. I have not tested them on game yet. Not alot of info about these things on the web. Thanks!20161223_194833-1.jpg 20180916_102107.jpg

Predecessor to the SST. GREAT bullet, but was discontinued for the better BC of the SST.

I found this photo of some popular bullets cut in half. I can't remember what the other bullets are. I think one of them is a Hornady XTP Mag and the other a regular XTP. The mag has a thicker jacket. As you can see the PTX has a very heavy jacket. Hornady said they made them to Thompsons spec's but the heavy jacket was to keep more bullet intact at the higher muzzleloader velocities compared to the lower pistol velocities.
I would sure like some information from someone who has hunted with them or some balistics gel data.

Attachments

• IMG_0019.JPG
    IMG_0019.JPG
    39.2 KB · Views: 10
Years ago reviews were saying that the PTX was built a bit too tough. Expansion was poor unless impact velocity was pretty high.

Wondering what velocity these things perform best at. Would love to see some balistics gel test on these. I am a tight wad when it comes to bullets because I am on a fixed income. These things shoot really well out of my Night Disc Elite. So probably not a good long range bullet. I know, there is no bullet that expands well through all velocities. Maybe a coyote hunt is in order. Not much else to hunt here right now that would be close to deer hide. Thanks for the input! Please keep them coming.

Those sorry PTX bullets cost me an elk in 2003. Had my TC .50 Encore sighted in for the excellent 300 grain .430 XTP bullets when a hunter convinced me to use the 300 grain PTX. i shot a huge cow elk at about 70 yards with that bullet pushed by 150 grains of Pyrodex P. Tracked the elk's sparse blood trail for over 250 yards when it was lost. Five of us looked tor the animal for over five to six hours to no avail.

Late that afternoon another hunter found the elk over 1/4 mile away. The hunter took the animal out and checked it in. i later talked with that hunter. The bullet hit both lungs solidly and exited, leaving a tiny hole. Had I used the 300 grain XTP bullet a dead elk would have been found close by.

Turns out the "expert hunter" who recommended the bullet had never used it: He had read some gun writers glowing report.

That hard round nose inhibits expansion. Same thing sometimes happens with the TC Shockwave. PTX bullets are trash.

Sorry to hear that story. But this is exactly what I need to hear. It is hard to find a good bullet for little cost that performs well. I used the Speer 300 grain Gold Dot bullet for years until I couldn't find them any longer. I had 1 issue with that bullet. Shot a large mule deer on a LE unit. Deer dropped like he was hit with a sledgehammer. Got up and wandered off. He was about 70 yards when I shot. Entry hole bled very little but no blood on the exit side. Tracked it for couple of days but no sign. Turns out some other hunters found him dead and took him. I found the carcass in their camp a few days later. It was a good hit but the bullet did not exit the body, just broke ribs on the exit side under the shoulder. These bullets are very similar to the XTP and always performed well on small to medium size deer. Sometimes I think these odd things happen. With the thick jacket and plastic tip I can see where the PTX bullets may perform as you said.
Maybe I can shoot these into something (any ideas what) to get an idea of performance. I just don't want wounded animals. Thanks for sharing your story, again I am sorry for the loss of your elk.

The XTP is rarely a poor choice. Killed a total of 17 critters with 3 different calibers and 4 different weights
40 caliber- 180 and 200 grain
44 caliber- 240 grain
45 caliber- 250 grain
End result was the same in all cases. Sore back and legs from dragging.

Over a period of 8-10 years i killed 20-30 white tailed deer and dozens of wild hogs using the excellent .430 240 grain XTP bullet.

Wish they still made the 275 grain .430 XTP. That is what I started out with in my first muzzleloader.

Back