Thoughts after my first range session in 3 months

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sabinajiles

Reaction score
I finally got an opportunity to shoot some last week after. I loaded my Bestill .45 Omega with the proper charge of IMR4198, veggie wad and Fury 275 Star Tip 2 and then proceeded to put my first 5 shots with a clean, cold barrel through a single jagged hole at 100 yd. Great way to start. My thoughts after this session.

Jeff Fisk builds some great rifles and has really perfected the custom Omega. I also have 2 converted smokeless 700mls but the Bestill Omega is my favorite. It's reasonably lightweight for carrying, has a simple, but effective, design and is deadly accurate.

Dennis Kautz makes some great bullets. They are extremely uniform. They are very easy to size. They are reasonably priced for a premium bullet. They are extremely accurate and as I found last fall, have great terminal performance, accounting for 3 deer which were all bang flops.

Smokeless is the way to go if you are serious about shooting a lot and just don't want a muzzleloader to extend your hunting season. Besides the advantage of not having to do a thorough cleaning after each session, eliminating the sabot and shooting bore size bullets is a definite plus. It's easier to obtain peak accuracy. You don't have to worry about a hot barrel softening your sabot. You achieve higher muzzle velocity which translates to a flatter shooting bullet that increases accuracy and carries more energy downrange.

I still have a bunch of smoker muzzleloaders, including percussion cap, flintlock and inline rifles. I still enjoy shooting them all but for my hunting purposes, my smokeless rifles are now my go to choice.

Last edited:
I finally got an opportunity to shoot some last week after. I loaded my Bestill .45 Omega with the proper charge of IMR4198, veggie wad and Fury 275 Star Tip 2 and then proceeded to put my first 5 shots with a clean, cold barrel through a single jagged hole at 100 yd. Great way to start. My thoughts after this session.

Jeff Fisk builds some great rifles and has really perfected the custom Omega. I also have 2 converted smokeless 700mls but the Bestill Omega is my favorite. It's reasonably lightweight for carrying, has a simple, but effective, design and is deadly accurate.

Dennis Kautz makes some great bullets. They are extremely uniform. They are very easy to size. They are reasonably priced for a premium bullet. They are extremely accurate and as I found last fall, have great terminal performance, accounting for 3 deer which were all bang flops.

Smokeless is the way to go if you are serious about shooting a lot and just don't want a muzzleloader to extend your hunting season. Besides the advantage of not having to do a thorough cleaning after each session, eliminating the sabot and shooting bore size bullets is a definite plus. It's easier to obtain peak accuracy. You don't have to worry about a hot barrel softening your sabot. You achieve higher muzzle velocity which translates to a flatter shooting bullet that increases accuracy and carries more energy downrange.

I still have a bunch of smoker muzzleloaders, including percussion cap, flintlock and inline rifles. I still enjoy shooting them all but for my hunting purposes, my smokeless rifles are now my go to choice.

They will test the person on the trigger...….

Latest posts

Back