thoughts/experiences on the 1 inch Leupold VX Freedom ????

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffB1961

Reaction score
anyone using a vx freedom ?
the 4.9 to 3.7 inch eye relief on the 4-12x40 seems like good insurance against getting scope eye .
and it's a leupold so it has to be at least decent .... right ???
i'd have to play with the 2 dots of the creedmoor reticle to see what distance they line up my bullet/powder combo at 10x-12x so it seems like it's would/could be more useful than the standard duplex .
all comments are appreciated , thanks , jeff

https://www.leupold.com/vx-freedom-4-12x40-creedmoor

I have the scope on one of my muzzleloaders I shoot a lot ,I've been very happy with it,,, I've been averaging a blown up scope every 3 months for the last 2 years so far the Leopold economy line is held up well for me. The glass for the price I thought was clean. I would buy again

i just called leupold because i saw their lifetime warranty has exclusions .
https://www.leupold.com/support/lifetime-guarantee" ......
WARRANTY EXCLUSIONS
These warranties do not apply if the product has been modified, misused, or has been damaged by accident, abuse, or misapplication.
To ensure this doesn’t happen to you, contact Leupold Product Service before having any work or repairs done to your Leupold optics. Call 1-800-LEUPOLD.
Warranty Products, which are unclaimed after a period of one year, may be subject to forfeiture.
This warranty gives you specific legal rights, and you may also have other rights, which vary from state to state.
For questions or service, please call 1-800-LEUPOLD.
For international service click HERE. ...... "

asked if using this particular scope on a muzzleloader would be considered as misuse or misapplication and was told it will not void the warranty .
before i looked at their warranty i thought they would be like vortex's warranty .... but it's not . i can be clumsy so the damage by accident concerns me a bit .... but i've never accidentally damaged a scope . i did return a hawke varmint scope about 2 years ago that developed a eye bell problem and they sent me the new vantage version so i'm very happy with hawke .

Last edited:
I have a Freedom 3-9x50 firedot. I also have a couple of the VXRs, a 2-7x33 and a 3-9x40. Both with the firedot. I use them on muzzleloaders. I like them all fine for the money. I prefer the illuminated reticle and don’t buy entry level scopes without it. I did drop the Freedom a couple years ago and it quit tracking. I sent it in and they repaired it quickly at no charge. I don’t think the lower end Leupolds are all that sturdy (but I’m not sure any manufacturer’s low end stuff is) but they do stand behind their products in my experience.

Leupold's warranty and customer service are outstanding. I had a customer purchase a new Leupold to replace a defective scope. I inquired as to the brand of the defective scope, and he told me it too was a Leupold. I asked what he did with it, and he told me it was older than God so he threw it away. I told him to fish it out of the trash can and send it in. A couple weeks later he was in wanting a refund on his new scope as Leupold had replaced his under warranty.
I could go on and on with stories similar to this.

I put a 2-7x33 freedom on my daughters muzzleloader and it’s been great for the money. I find it to be a great value optic. It has served her well for the past couple of years now. Also bought as a blemish from Natchez, I looked real hard to find a tiny blemish in the finish right where the rings would cover.

Love the Freedom line especially for the price. I have the 3-9 on my Omega. Leupolds warranty is great also. Never had a scope fail to test it but I had the eye piece bust on my Binos. It was on an older pair a week before a hunt. They sent me a brand new pair the next class up and even overnighted them to make sure I had them for the hunt. I have other brands but always look at Leupold first when I need new optics.

Thanks for the replies folks they are appreciated. Now another question ..... If I wanted to spend spend $500 instead of $300 is Is there a very noticeable difference in the clarity of the VX3 HD 3 by 10 Compared to the freedom 4 to 12 by 40 ? And what are your thoughts on the lepould CDS turret system ?

Leupold policy for years has been to bump improvements downhill. In other words, they would improve lens treatment on a VX-3, and then begin using the old VX-3 lens treatment on the VX-2 line.
The Freedom line has features that years prior were available only on higher priced scopes.
The VX3-HD will have improvements over the Freedom line, but whether or not you will benefit from them I cannot say.
Scope internals move on greased/lubed pivots. Over time that dries out. That is why you see people adjust scopes and then tap the turret. The tap helps the springs inside overcome the drying grease. CDS is great new, but who knows how well it will work in 30 years if the grease dries a little.

anyone using a vx freedom ?
the 4.9 to 3.7 inch eye relief on the 4-12x40 seems like good insurance against getting scope eye .
and it's a leupold so it has to be at least decent .... right ???
i'd have to play with the 2 dots of the creedmoor reticle to see what distance they line up my bullet/powder combo at 10x-12x so it seems like it's would/could be more useful than the standard duplex .
all comments are appreciated , thanks , jeff

https://www.leupold.com/vx-freedom-4-12x40-creedmoor
I have the Leopold vx2 4×12×40 on my 30 06 and it is good. Supposedly a forever warranty.

i got to shoot the cva today with the bushnell AR 4.5-18 and the eye relief was fine . so my fear of scope eye was unfounded and i won't be needing a new scope . i didn't sight it in because it was raining , just took a few shots into the hillside behind my bro-i-laws place to get a feel for the recoil . sorry for being a pest :(
thanks to all who replied , jeff

I have Leupolds on almost all of my rifles. I think I have one rifle with a NIkon (only warranted to original owner) that has a broken reticle. I still have the old VX-2 Compact 2-7x33 on my lightweight javelina rifle. Leupolds are light and usually have longer eye relief than other scopes. I got the scar between my eyes many years ago with a Tasco scope. I used the duplex reticle for years with my muzzleloader. Sighted in at 150 meters, i could put the top of the post on the back of an elk and drop it at 220 meters. The Creedmoor is better, once you figure out where it shoots. If you really get fancy, you can figure out where each dot shoots at different magnifications.

i just called leupold because i saw their lifetime warranty has exclusions .
https://www.leupold.com/support/lifetime-guarantee" ......
WARRANTY EXCLUSIONS
These warranties do not apply if the product has been modified, misused, or has been damaged by accident, abuse, or misapplication.
To ensure this doesn’t happen to you, contact Leupold Product Service before having any work or repairs done to your Leupold optics. Call 1-800-LEUPOLD.
Warranty Products, which are unclaimed after a period of one year, may be subject to forfeiture.
This warranty gives you specific legal rights, and you may also have other rights, which vary from state to state.
For questions or service, please call 1-800-LEUPOLD.
For international service click HERE. ...... "

asked if using this particular scope on a muzzleloader would be considered as misuse or misapplication and was told it will not void the warranty .
before i looked at their warranty i thought they would be like vortex's warranty .... but it's not . i can be clumsy so the damage by accident concerns me a bit .... but i've never accidentally damaged a scope . i did return a hawke varmint scope about 2 years ago that developed a eye bell problem and they sent me the new vantage version so i'm very happy with hawke .
I have a Hawke Vantage IR 4x12x40AO 17 hmr and 22 mag scopes. I like them 2 Hawke scopes .
Do u have the Hawke 3x9x40 ML scope? If so how do u like it? I been looking at the Leopold Muzzle loader scope to put on my gun. I have a CVA Optima V2 50 cal LR nitride rifle. I like the reviews on the Leopold scope.
I have looked at Hawke 3x9x40 ML/ slug gun scope.

I have a hawk vantage 6 to 24 side focus with the half mill-dot rectacle On a 25 caliber PCP air rifle . I like it a lot on that air rifle and very happy with their customer service when I had a problem with it. But it is definitely not something I would use on the muzzle loader .

Back