Thoughts on .429 cast bullets

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Walkingeagle

Reaction score
Looking for thoughts on what is the best cast bullet, in .429” for saboted use in .50 cal inline. Prefer heavier for use on elk and moose. Not looking at ranges beyond 150 yds. Will be buying a mold and casting my own.
Walk

Try some 370 maxi balls out of that new Encore, it might shoot good, or might not. If I was going to cast for sabots, then stay with .452 or larger. Good luck.

Why the .429?
Well, I have 600 assorted sabots, mostly from the past but also some came with the barrel, and all are for .429” bullets. That is why.
I am planning to try the 370gr Maxi’s today in fact once I get the gun on paper with the 240gr XTP Hornady’s I have. I will then shoot for groups and let everyone know.
Walk

Accurate does offer some 44cal molds for sabots. This one looks ok but i would have them remove half or more of the beveled base.
43-290P-D.png

I have a Lyman #445599 mould that i will send you if you want it. Just cover shipping from Michigan to you. i got it with some casting equipment and won't use it.1570750200183720903986231706316.jpg
Hollow base mould. 250 grain.

Last edited:
I have a Lyman #445599 mould that i will send you if you want it. Just cover shipping from Michigan to you. i got it with some casting equipment and won't use it.View attachment 5655
Hollow base mould. 250 grain.
I appreciate that sir, really do but in all honesty I likely wont use it either. I have a Lee .459-405HB already as I cast these for my .45-70 at 1400fps. I just cannot seem to find a supplier in Canada for the Orange Crush Rib sabots (for .458” bullets). Still looking though.
Thank you kindly sir, I think someone else would benefit more from your offer.
Walk

I went to the range and got the gun on paper. Shot a 1.75” group with the Hornady 44 cal XTP and shot a 3” group with the 370gr Maxi’s. Both with 100gr Pyro (2x50gr pellets) and federal 209’s. This is at 100 yds. Have not tried any other powder/primer combinations yet. Many more range days needed!!
Walk

Question, i found some 405gr cast bullets that mic at .463”. I have pillow tick that is .025”. If I double patched these cast bullets, any thoughts on potential accuracy? I fully expect those out there have tried this before, and will be trying it myself next range trip regardless. Just curious atm.
Walk

Question, i found some 405gr cast bullets that mic at .463”. I have pillow tick that is .025”. If I double patched these cast bullets, any thoughts on potential accuracy? I fully expect those out there have tried this before, and will be trying it myself next range trip regardless. Just curious atm.
Walk

Just remember + 0.025" patch is + 0.050" in diameter x 2= 0.100".

That's not even taking into consideration that the patch will pleat and overlap on a flat bottomed bullet with walls of any length, which is unlike a round ball. A bullet patch needs to be cut in a + configuration so it basically looks like a sabot with petals to avoid overlap. You can also do it with just under 1/2" (7/16ish") wide strips that are crossed at the base.

Last edited:
I appreciate that sir, really do but in all honesty I likely wont use it either. I have a Lee .459-405HB already as I cast these for my .45-70 at 1400fps. I just cannot seem to find a supplier in Canada for the Orange Crush Rib sabots (for .458” bullets). Still looking though.
Thank you kindly sir, I think someone else would benefit more from your offer.
Walk
My mistake. I thought you were looking for a .44 cal mould.

My mistake. I thought you were looking for a .44 cal mould.

He was looking for a .429"/.430" mold, which is the modern ".44 caliber" sized bullets. Your mold would be a .445", correct? That bullet will not fit in the 600 green sabots he has, that are for modern .429"/.430" diameter ".44 cal" bullets.

Just remember + 0.025" patch is + 0.050" in diameter x 2= 0.100".

That's not even taking into consideration that the patch will pleat and overlap on a flat bottomed bullet with walls of any length, which is unlike a round ball. A bullet patch needs to be cut in a + configuration so it basically looks like a sabot with petals to avoid overlap. You can also do it with just under 1/2" (7/16ish") wide strips that are crossed at the base.
Good thing you said that cause I didn’t remember to double it up! This getting old thing sucks, lol.

Back