Thoughts on 58 build/conversion

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schuylkill Co

Reaction score
I am thinking about having someone build me a 58 cal flintlock or retro fitting a GPR.

I am thinking I have three options.

option 1
Go to the Dixons Muzzleloader fair and see if someone will build me a plain jain flintlock

option 2

Buy a Great Plains Rifle and see if I can get someone to make me a drop in barrel.

Option 3
Watch the classifieds.

Right now, I think option 2 is most appealing. Reason being, I am not looking for a work of art. I would like a great lock and great barrel and double set trigger. I don't want to spend a fortune for something that is going to up getting scratched and used hard. Plus, I already have a GPR in 50 cal so having an extra barrel for it would be nice. Does anyone know of anyone who makes drop in/replacements barrels that will fit a GPR? Is Bob Hoyt still doing it? Any reason this is a bad idea?

Thanks!

Just had to reply, Bobby Hoyt did a 50 cal. douglas barrel to a 54 cal. and did it for $ 125.00 plus shipping. This was the best thing I have ever done the bbl. shoots like no smokepole has ever done for me. Mine was a 1" across the flats so plenty of meat to work with, all the drill chatter and galling was eliminated in the new rifling. I don't know if a 15/16" will go to 58 or not have to ask him, I have misplaced his # but when you get it ring for a while he has the phone in his shop so the noise may hinder some. If you do get it done by him you will be happy with it he is an excellent craftsman.
coupe

First off Welcome to the Forum!

I had a Cabelas Hawken in .58 Cal (made by investarms, Same as Lyman) The 15/16” Part is what I didn’t care for, It was a lightweight Gun for the Caliber, i ended up Trading it for a TC Hawken in 54 Cal, I also have a Lyman Great Plains Hunter in .54 Cal that I bought Brand new, The Lyman GP’s are all 15/16” I now have a Navy Arms Hawken Hunter in .58 Cal, This Barrel is 1-1/8” Across the Flats, I REALLY like the feel of this Rifle :yeah:
I personally would prefer at least a 1” Barrel in .58, I have seen a Few Green Mountain Flintlock “Drop in” Barrels Sell on eBay recently, That would be my first Choice, But a guy might grow a long Beard Waiting for that kind of Deal to come around again. I have heard VERY good things about Mr Hoyt, He is probably your best bet :yeah:

If this helps, This is the phone # that I have for Bobby Hoyt. 717-642-6696. As mentioned, call early morning EST and let phone ring. He does nice work..reasonable too.

Back