Thoughts on a new sidelock for elk and deer hunting

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
that was mentioned earlier by Brushfire, the Pedersoli hunter wasone of the first guns I was looking at, because Ultimately I want the gun to have a peep sight, until I found out that you have to partially remove the sight to remove the barrel for cleaning. I would think that would affect accuracY. I would love to hear otherwise if someone has personal experience.
I wouldn't let that deter me. Everything I have read on them over the past couple of years has been positive reviews. I see where some don't like having to unscrew and swing the sight over. ( I'm not crazy about it either) However no one has mentioned a problem with inconsistent accuracy because of it. I love the way they are solidly built and the 1-24'' twist.
If I didn't have so much invested in my Renegades, I would buy a Traditional Hunter Hawken. Maybe one of these days I will sell one of my safe queens and have the money to buy one.

X2. Although im thinking if i spend Pedersoli $ i may just go ahead and get one of their Tryon MLs. The Match or Creedmore. Why not go for their top of the line gun?

that was mentioned earlier by Brushfire, the Pedersoli hunter wasone of the first guns I was looking at, because Ultimately I want the gun to have a peep sight, until I found out that you have to partially remove the sight to remove the barrel for cleaning. I would think that would affect accuracY. I would love to hear otherwise if someone has personal experience.

I have only shot my Pedersoli Hawken Hunter the 1 time (it’s on Video, i do a Short review on the Rifle) So i certainly cannot speak for Longevity, But i see no problem in Swinging this Sight to the Side to Remove the Barrel For Cleaning. The rear screw is in the Wood, Therefore you wouldn’t want it Super tight, The Sight swings to the Side easily. This sight is a Ghost Ring, There is No Aperture, Just a Threaded Post with a thin, LARGE Hole. As a Target Shooter almost exclusively with my Muzzleloaders, i am not Crazy about the Sight, I would MUCH prefer a Regular Peep sight. That said, My Dad could care less about Target shooting, His mind is wrapped around Hunting, and he Loved this Hawken Hunter Sight :lewis:

At the end of the Day I prefer my Hooked Breech TC Hawken’s & Renegades over this Pedersoli. Don’t get me wrong, This Pedersoli is NICE, it’s a NO FRILLS Hunting Rifle, If Hunting was my #1 objective i would feel differently about this Rifle, it is Geared toward the Hunter in EVERY Way

X2. Although im thinking if i spend Pedersoli $ i may just go ahead and get one of their Tryon MLs. The Match or Creedmore. Why not go for their top of the line gun?

Before i spent Pedersoli $, I would anny up go with something like this Right here, In a RAPID HEARTBEAT!
This is forum member Willfish4fud’s Custom Hawken Rifle, Green Mountain LRH Barrel, I believe L&R Lock? And Davis Trigger

szsy7N7.jpg

Before i spent Pedersoli $, I would anny up go with something like this Right here, In a RAPID HEARTBEAT!
This is forum member Willfish4fud’s Custom Hawken Rifle, Green Mountain LRH Barrel, I believe L&R Lock? And Davis Trigger

szsy7N7.jpg
That is a beauty.
Im hoping to have my renegade in a new laminate stock in about a month. Got a blank coming from Richards Microfit, going to Pecatonica to be made into a stock. 🤞

I was going to just go with brown or rose wood. But the more i thought on it and looked at different stocks in different colors i decided that i wanted something like no one elses. I decided to go with Apache Gold.
Apache_Gold_Sample.jpeg
Probably gonna offend some traditionalists.

I was going to just go with brown or rose wood. But the more i thought on it and looked at different stocks in different colors i decided that i wanted something like no one elses. I decided to go with Apache Gold.
View attachment 9920
Probably gonna offend some traditionalists.
That is my first choice in a Richards Microfit stock color.

GOOD CHOICE!!

Are you gonna put a recoil pad, or the steel Renegade buttplate on It?

I can't wait to see how the color turns out after Pecatonica finishes profiling the blank into the Renegade stock shape.

Glad Im not the only one. My wife likes it too which made me wonder if im making a bad choice. :roll:

I'm going to put on a recoil pad probably. Will see how it fits and feels. I should have the blank this week and Pecatonica said 3-4 weeks after they receive it.

At the end of the Day I prefer my Hooked Breech TC Hawken’s & Renegades over this Pedersoli. Don’t get me wrong, This Pedersoli is NICE, it’s a NO FRILLS Hunting Rifle, If Hunting was my #1 objective i would feel differently about this Rifle, it is Geared toward the Hunter in EVERY Way
I have watched your video and I think it was where I first saw that you have to rotate the sight. Thanks for all your videos, lots of good information. Although I plan on shooting a lot at the range, hunting is definitely going to be my primary focus. Once I develop my load I stop using the bench for anything but rechecking zero and move to shooting in more hunting positions (prone, seated off a backpack, leaning on a post, etc)

That is a beautiful gun, certainly something to aspire to but based off the custom guns I’ve found on the net, significantly out of my price range.

Thanks for the inputs!

-Matt

Back