Thoughts on cheaper rangefinders?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I would like to get a rangefinder but, don't really want to spend more than $100 - $130. With that being said I was looking on Amazon and found some under $100.

These are the ones that I found:
Tidewe 700Y LCD - $79.99
Wosports 800Y - $74.99
Aofar HX-700N - $69.99
Bijia - $79.99
Gogogo Sport Vpro - $69.99

Anyone have any thoughts or experiences with any of these?

I would like to get a rangefinder but, don't really want to spend more than $100 - $130. With that being said I was looking on Amazon and found some under $100.

These are the ones that I found:
Tidewe 700Y LCD - $79.99
Wosports 800Y - $74.99
Aofar HX-700N - $69.99
Bijia - $79.99
Gogogo Sport Vpro - $69.99

Anyone have any thoughts or experiences with any of these?

I’m no rangefinder expert, but I’ve never heard of ANY of those brands.

I like a brand I’ve heard of, and might possibly get some customer service from, if needed. Someone with a reputation to protect! 😆

Like deermanok, I use a basic Bushnell unit. I think it might be a Yardage Pro 600, or similar,

I’ve had it for about 20 years. I do an annual, “better safe than sorry” battery replacement, and it’s been flawless.

Consider the “Amazon Warehouse Deals” page, on Amazon. Open box, returns, etc… many times their items listed as “Used” will just have a torn box from some Neanderthal who tore the box open, then returned it.

If I’m buying from Amazon, I ALWAYS check their Warehouse Deals section. Have returned an item or two, but I’ve never been burned!

Last edited:
In that price range I’d try to find something in Sig Sauer or Vortex. Ive had a little Nikon for probably 20 years that still works fine. Those no name brands could last 6 weeks or six years - not worth the gamble IMO.

I've had a Nikon range finder now for twenty years also. 400 yds max I believe, which I will never shoot that far!
I still have the original battery, but have a back up battery to.
I take the battery out at the end of hunting season to prevent corrosion from a bad battery ruining the electronics of the range finder.

Most of you probably know this. You can range with a duplex reticle. I use Leupold scopes most of the time. If a deer fits between the horizontal line and the bottom of the fat part of the reticle, range is 300 yards give or take a small amount. If a third of a deer takes up that space, range is 100. Two thirds equals to 200 yards.
Different companies may subtend different distances with their duplex reticles. You would have to see what your scope does. A mature buck is about 16" back bone to brisket.
Another feller and I were deer hunting on the Salmon River breaks a few years back. I had a mule deer tag, and he had a whitetail tag. We were right at the transition elevation at camp, and I spotted a nice whitetail buck not far from camp, I ranged him with my Leupold 6X at 300 yards, and I quietly left. I told my partner that evening, and we went looking for the buck the next morning. He was feeding in the same spot and my partner ranged him with his rangefinder at 297 yards. That buck went home with us.

I only use mine for bowhunting.
Once I'm settled into the stand, I'll range a few spots in a circle around me. A tree here, a stump there or rock or something.
Out to 40 yards, that's my farthest comfortable range for a shot with the crossbow.

Thanks for the opinions and info everyone. I appreciate your knowledge and thoughts. Interesting that some of you if not all had never heard of the brands that I mentioned. The reason I say that is because when I typed in rangefinder on Amazon, those were some of the brands that came up several times.

AOFAR......

"Adopting the latest Al technology and the upgrade pinsensor technology. Measuring up to 800 yards with high accuracy with ±1 yard and fast and clear data show up on the LCD. Equipped with 6x magnification. Dust proof, waterproofmoisture resistant to ensure a great experience in the outdoors activities, You can enjoy your hunting and golfing with reliable high quality."

I'm still trying to figure out rather the unit is actually waterproof, or is it only moisture resistant ????????

Again, if the brand you're reviewing or considering doesn't give both reflective and actual distances, I'd look elsewhere. Just my 2¢

Never heard of any of those. I’d buy a name brand unit. I bought a Sig Sauer Kilo 1000 for $128 on eBay last summer for an elk bowhunt. Great little rangefinder. In general, you get what you pay for in optics/electronics.

A second for the kilo 1000. Best bang for the buck IMO.

I have two rangefinders, both Bushnell, one, the cheapest, is 4 power, the second has a scan mode Which I never use, The better one is six power. Cheaper is better, as I can hold it steady easier. Both around hundred dollars or less. I'm good for two or 300 yards as long as I have a decent target to scan. I often just use them for setting up before I'm shooting that targets. Have a friend who has one that will read to 1000 yards Or maybe a little more, and it cost over $1000. Up to the limit of their range, one seems just as accurate as the other, probably less than 1 yard difference. The man at Cabela's told me that probably 20 years ago, and it is true.
squint

You have to pay close attention to sight picture. I went with a Nikon years ago and it has not let me down. There`s nothing worst than not being able to get a clear sight picture. I have looked at the Halo and it would do in a pinch but just was not for me. Good luck with your search.

Another feature to think about: An illuminated display helps quite a bit in low light. Tough to find that feature in the lower end models though. Once you try the higher end rangefinders, the lower end stuff is mostly pretty disappointing for low light and longer range. I know this is way out of the price range youre looking at but you cant go wrong with a Leica. I have an old Leica 1200 as a backup to my two pairs of Leica rangefinding binos. They are all fantastic.

I also have a Nikon that’s 15-20yrs old. 6x and works fine from 10 out to 300 yards with angle compensation for tree stand or hilly areas, never checked how far it will range. rain, snow and fog can make them unreliable. Still using the original battery. I may replace it with a 4x or something with brighter optics. Im pretty frugal(cheap) but i would never buy one of those brands, only a well established highly regarded brand. Not one of amazons chinese brands. I will also seriously consider a used one if necessary.
I would really prefer to get a good quality range finding bino that isn’t too big or too expensive

Last edited:
I have a leupold some things we just can't afford to skimp on. Wait for the name brands to go on sale summer is usually the cheapest time of year. To me poor optics of any kind is like buying knockoff broadheads when buck of a lifetime walks out I don't want to have poor quality anything.

Latest posts

Back