Thoughts on cheaper rangefinders?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have an old 400 yd. Nikon RF that is probably 15 yrs old I used for bowhunting, they still work like new.
I picked up a set of Bushnell 800 yd. a few years ago on a clearance deal, with the angle compensation for use with the PCPs, or whatever, since I needed more than 400 yards and angle comp was a plus. They are actually pretty nice for a frugal price point.
I also have a set of Sig Kilo 3000 binos, nice to carry in the truck or Jeep.
I would be leery of the off branded RFs, if they go bad, as electronics sometimes do, who do you send them to for repair? If you have to ship them to the Mfg. how much will it cost compared to the price to just replace them with a new unit?

Bushnell for my money. Have two - one goes to 600 yards, the other to (I think) 1200 yards. American company based near Kansas City, not Bejing, Had only one problem with a Bushnell scope years ago. Sent it in, they sent me a new one. Owned by Vista Outdoors.

Bushnell for my money. Have two - one goes to 600 yards, the other to (I think) 1200 yards. American company based near Kansas City, not Bejing, Had only one problem with a Bushnell scope years ago. Sent it in, they sent me a new one. Owned by Vista Outdoors.

If I’m not mistaken, all of their products are made overseas (China, Japan, Philippines, Korea?) as are most of the other brands’ optics/rangefinders. Not knocking Bushnell but unfortunately not much is made in the US anymore.

Last edited:
I would like to get a rangefinder but, don't really want to spend more than $100 - $130. With that being said I was looking on Amazon and found some under $100.

These are the ones that I found:
Tidewe 700Y LCD - $79.99
Wosports 800Y - $74.99
Aofar HX-700N - $69.99
Bijia - $79.99
Gogogo Sport Vpro - $69.99

Anyone have any thoughts or experiences with any of these?
My thought is do without til you can afford a decent one.

I would like to get a rangefinder but, don't really want to spend more than $100 - $130. With that being said I was looking on Amazon and found some under $100.

These are the ones that I found:
Tidewe 700Y LCD - $79.99
Wosports 800Y - $74.99
Aofar HX-700N - $69.99
Bijia - $79.99
Gogogo Sport Vpro - $69.99

Anyone have any thoughts or experiences with any of these?
I didn't really answer your question, except to imply that cheap ones work is good as high-priced ones, it just depends how far you plan to range. I often use use mine for target shooting and setting up shooting ranges from my tree stand for archery. There wasn't much game that I ever seen that I would've had time to range the game Before I shot. I wouldn't be a bit afraid to try any of them, and I would probably take them someplace like a school gym where I had a known distance and see how they read. If you don't do anything to harm them, you could probably return them. Amazon has a good return policy and others do too. Sometimes when I couldn't read the Animal I was looking at, but there was something real close, I can range that instead and it would tell me what I needed to know. I found them the most handy for archery hunting, my rifle shoots flat enough, that not knowing the exact yardage, has never caused me a problem.
Squint

Never heard of those brands. But I have used some cheaper ones in the past, with them being Bushnell, Sig and Athlon. They worked fine with how I used them. I stand hunt, so I would range objects as to know my shooting area ahead of time. The Bushnell did go to Wyoming with me one time, and that is what drove me to get a better one for ranging game at distance. It really depends on how you tend to use them. I'm a value guy, so I get going cheap. I really do. But I would stay clear of Amazon specials and go with a company that stands behind their products in this case. All three brands I mentioned have some fairly reasonable priced rangefinders, that go on sale often.

I had the bushNell that went to 1600 yards, arc elite or something like that. Was about $600 new Never dropped, died after2.5 years (board fried) and they wouldn’t do a thing for it.

Last bushnell product I will ever buy.

There are 2 range finders in Albrechts auction in Vassar Michigan. Items 912 and 913 in the May 9th auction. If you buy them I stop every Wed afternoon and pic items up. I have done so many times for members here and make you the same offer. Ill ship it to you and you send me the cost.
I appreciate the offer. I am still trying to figure out what I want to do. It doesn't make it easy that there are so many choices and so many different opinions so, now I am kinda thinking I should look at different ones first hand, that way I can compare them for myself.
I do really appreciate all the information given from everyone here.

is there anyone else besides vortex that offers a lifetime guarantee on their range finders ?

is there anyone else besides vortex that offers a lifetime guarantee on their range finders ?

Sig has a 5 year warranty. I figure any electronic used in the field that, that’s a decent warranty. Especially on the cheaper end. There are lots of decent ones out there.

With the Vortex unlimited lifetime warranty, I’d seriously consider jumping on eBay and grabbing a Vortex 850 or 1000 for about $100. There are lots of them selling on there in your range for $80-120. If it ever quits on you then send it in to Vortex. They'll fix it or send you a new one no questions asked.

Last edited:
My Daughter and son-in-law from North Dakota Just came yesterday, And I asked him what he used, and he said his has one built into his binoculars. Said they costs around $1600, could read to 2000 yards. He hunts Canada and different places, I guess the sky's the limit.
Squint

Ok guys don't hammer on me to hard. I know that Thursday I said that I should look at some rangefinders first hand so that I could see for myself what I thought. But I talked to my brother-in-law last night and he said that his son had an AOFAR HX-700N Hunting Range Finder and liked it. Said he had used it a few times and thought it would be ok for what I need. So I ordered one this morning off of Amazon. For $67 and some change and over 6000 reviews I thought what the heck I will give it a try. Once I get it I will try it out and give you all my thoughts on it.

Back