Thoughts on cheaper rangefinders?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2yrs ago I bought my first LRF. I didn’t have much money to spend, but didn’t want to buy junk either. After some research I decided on the Cabelas - Intensity 1600, I think I paid 250.00 or close to that. It ranges out to 1600yds on reflective targets & 650yds on a deer. Obj is 25mm & 6x power. I have nothing bad or negative to say about it for what it brings to the table in its price range.

When I get in the stand I range several prominent items in my shooting area I find once I see the deer Im hunting the only thing I want in my hands is my rifle. When things are are slow I frequently recheck distances. For myself I have my 20-25 yr old Nikon prostaff and and a newer 3yrs cheapo ebay special about 3 +- yd difference..
That’s smart thinkin - ranging specific things in your hunting area to use as mental references when shooting time is upon you. Where I’m hunting now, there’s no need for the LRF in the pine forest, but on the fam property where I shoot out the door or off the porch from time to time, & I use corn piles & feed block but I can’t shoot a deer within 100yds of them. Do I have ranged numerous targets across the back field to be able to grab the gun I want to use & shoot while guaranteeing I’m not breaking any laws. Using the LRF for all my targets along my 400yd range I have here is very helpful too.

I just went on Bass Pro's web site for schlitz & giggles to see how the Cabelas LRF I have & just posted about's reviews are. I was kinda shocked at how different the reviews were. Out of 36 reviews, only 8 were #5 on their 1-5 scale, with 6 at #4. I think 4 or 5 were #1. The con's/complaints were all the same things. Not being good in low light & bad weather for reading targets & not being able to read the display except for on a bright clear day. I never noticed that bc I only needed it so far on bright clear days. I'm going to check that out now after reading that a cpl times. Going through batteries quickly was another con listed more than once. I haven't noticed that either bc of how little & few & far between that I need it. Again, its served me well for what I've needed it for & for the price range it was. Yes, there are prob better quality for the dollar out there. I didn't want to sound like I was recommending this LRF, only that its done fine for me & it being my first LRF. The only thing I'll recommend is to do your due diligence - research on what you are interested in thoroughly before you buy.

That’s smart thinkin - ranging specific things in your hunting area to use as mental references when shooting time is upon you. Where I’m hunting now, there’s no need for the LRF in the pine forest, but on the fam property where I shoot out the door or off the porch from time to time, & I use corn piles & feed block but I can’t shoot a deer within 100yds of them. Do I have ranged numerous targets across the back field to be able to grab the gun I want to use & shoot while guaranteeing I’m not breaking any laws. Using the LRF for all my targets along my 400yd range I have here is very helpful too.
Those sound like Chinese knockoffs just by the names spending a few bucks is always worth it always go for the best you can afford otherwise you're just going to end up buying it anyhow

WRONG
The Crossfire scopes are all made in China. A few others also like the StrikeEagle and Venom. All Viper scopes are made in the Philippines. Razor scopes are made in Japan. Diamondback HP scopes are also Philippines. Razors are actually made at Light Optical Works just like the Zeiss V4s and many others including several Nightforce. Vortex Golden Eagle is also made in Japan but not by LOW. Probably Kenko.
So you're saying they're all foreign made in Asian countries whether it's China or anybody else that really doesn't matter I've seen more people have to use the warranty on vortex scopes than any other one I've seen ever just by two cents do whatever you want

i bought one a couple years ago called tec tec tec at the time i was looking for the best of the cheaper ones. just use it for bow hunting and range shooting. very pleased so far

So you're saying they're all foreign made in Asian countries whether it's China or anybody else that really doesn't matter I've seen more people have to use the warranty on vortex scopes than any other one I've seen ever just by two cents do whatever you want
Sure it matters. If you cant see that, there is no use in me explaining why it matters.

Out of 36 reviews, only 8 were #5 on their 1-5 scale, with 6 at #4. I think 4 or 5 were #1. The con's/complaints were all the same things. Not being good in low light & bad weather for reading targets & not being able to read the display except for on a bright clear day. I never noticed that bc I only needed it so far on bright clear days.
Idk why some complain that they dont work in bad weather. ANYTHING between you and the target(rain, snow, fog, smoke, plants…) will degrade the laser causing either no reading or inaccurate reading. Its just the nature of lasers. Even the highest end models with rain compensation dont work 100% reliably in that stuff. My nikon is old and still on its first or maybe second battery thx to the auto shut off. With its 6x mag it still works well but the optics are kind of dark and not good at dusk. Im shopping for a new lrf this year just for clearer brighter view.
@Mrtallz
ps; may shop for some of them ‘underwear’ things too.

Idk why some complain that they dont work in bad weather. ANYTHING between you and the target(rain, snow, fog, smoke, plants…) will degrade the laser causing either no reading or inaccurate reading. Its just the nature of lasers. Even the highest end models with rain compensation dont work 100% reliably in that stuff. My nikon is old and still on its first or maybe second battery thx to the auto shut off. With its 6x mag it still works well but the optics are kind of dark and not good at dusk. Im shopping for a new lrf this year just for clearer brighter view.
@Mrtallz
ps; may shop for some of them ‘underwear’ things too.
After my post I broke the LRF out when it was a heavy Florida downpour goin on. I had previously ranged various spots on the property & I ranged the neighbors house which I guesstimated to be 600-650yds away. I was surprised that I was really close with my guesstimation & this Cabelas LRF gave the same readings with no issues in the heavy rain. I was expecting exactly what you said - bad reading or no reading. I did test it out when it was just light enough to barely see across the field & this thing isn’t Swarovski quality by any means, but it did much better than I expected both in low light & heavy rain. Again, for the money, I’m pretty pleasantly surprised.

I bought my son an Aofar HX-600 back in 2019 and it has served him well so far. He only uses it a couple times a year and then it sits in his hunting bag for the rest of the year.

After my post I broke the LRF out when it was a heavy Florida downpour goin on. I had previously ranged various spots on the property & I ranged the neighbors house which I guesstimated to be 600-650yds away. I was surprised that I was really close with my guesstimation & this Cabelas LRF gave the same readings with no issues in the heavy rain. I was expecting exactly what you said - bad reading or no reading. I did test it out when it was just light enough to barely see across the field & this thing isn’t Swarovski quality by any means, but it did much better than I expected both in low light & heavy rain. Again, for the money, I’m pretty pleasantly surprised.
what recipe do you use for houses? let me guess ,... ranch dressing on the side?

Those sound like Chinese knockoffs just by the names spending a few bucks is always worth it always go for the best you can afford otherwise you're just going to end up buying it anyhow
The Cabelas - Intensity 1600 LRF might be a chinese "knock-off ", the whole Cabelas line of products might be chinese knock off's. I don't know. I completely agree with your sentiments & statement regarding buying the best that you can afford, & do your research & read reviews. I did exactly that. This LRF is fine for what I paid for it & it was what I could afford, suited for what I needed it for. Fortunately, it didn't turn out to be a cheap POS & make me regret wasting my money. I have been down that road with car/truck parts, Harley parts, rifle scopes & spotting scopes & learned my lessons & wasted my money on cheap JUNK. I really can't find anything to complain about with this Cabelas LRF.

Back