Thousand Islands?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
We’ve rented a house in or near Clayton, NY for the last week of July, I’m planning to trailer my boat out and plan to fish. I know nothing about the area or fishing there and am open to any suggestions. I’m mostly a pan fisherman but I’m happy to catch most anything. I’ve got a 20’ Tracker Grizzly with a 115 hp motor, a basic bow mounted trolling motor and a basic fish finder.

Sounds like fun. I took a boat to Vancouver Island years ago. My buddy knew all about fishing, and while I do not care about fishing I wanted my daughter to catch a few salmon. For two days there was nary a bite. I hired a guide to take my daughter and I out. She caught salmon hand over fist. When we got in, we headed to a tackle shop and bought what the guide used.
My stubborn buddy continued on for two more days with his method, while my daughter caught a limit each day. On the third day he broke down and borrowed some tackle from us.
A day with a local guide might be a good investment.

We’ve rented a house in or near Clayton, NY for the last week of July, I’m planning to trailer my boat out and plan to fish. I know nothing about the area or fishing there and am open to any suggestions. I’m mostly a pan fisherman but I’m happy to catch most anything. I’ve got a 20’ Tracker Grizzly with a 115 hp motor, a basic bow mounted trolling motor and a basic fish finder.
Have you decided to trailer your boat?

Trolling for walleye would be my suggestion I just go back from Lake Erie and we caught over 200 trolling spoons on jet divers and long lining deep diving crankbaits with a few trophy fish. One a little over 31 inches. 10.5 lbs Lake Ontario should be similar.

Great place to fish, no telling what you might catch on any kind of lure including just a worm on a hook. Good luck and be watchful of the weather if you go into Lake Ontario.

Back