Thread locking products - proper use

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reelnellie

Reaction score
My normal approach with Locktite is to clean the screw and the recepticle, add Locktite to both sites, install and wipe excess. On a recent TV show (not sure which one) scope installation was covered by a factory rep. He stated all that was necessary was to tighten the screws to specs and add Locktite to the heads. Is this right?

I've always done it the way you do. IMO that's the right way. Putting it on the head does noting for the part that actually holds the screw in, the threads.

Locktite is THREAD locker. Put it on the threads. I do it as both of you do and that IS the correct way.

I agree. It makes no sense to me to put lock tite just on the heads after installation. It does not even get to the place it needs to help.

Lock-tite does make a wicking threadlocker it is no. 290 however it is not the best choice for this application, The best choice is lock-tite 222 (purple)(low strengh) which is for small screws,a lot of folks use no.242 (blue) which is for nuts and bolts (medium strengh). For all lock-tite products a primer/cleaner should be used. If the hole is a bottom hole put a little dab in the bottom and a little on the threads.
Redclub

Redclub, thanks for the advice on the type of Loctite. I have always used the blue. Time to get the purple.

Back when I used to work for a living I gave seminars on lock-tite products, I have a lot of there products lying around here, cases of some of the stuff.
Redclub

TO Redclub: Does that stuff have a useful shelf life?

Latest posts

Back