Three Point & Chosen

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
threepointb.jpg

threepointa.jpg

threepointc..jpg

threepointe.jpg

Ed, we weren't going to drag him. Wife wouldn't let me cook him in house; he stunk so bad. Plan was to cook him outside right there in the back yard, but then the five point came, and took charge; girls running everwhere. She won't let me cook the five point period; he is so awfully rank.

fourpointa.jpg

fourpointb.jpg

fourpointc.jpg

fourpointd.jpg

fourpointe.jpg

Those are AWESOME Pictures Ron!!! Them Mule Deer, Along with Blacktail REALLY get RANK when they are Rutting!! I have smelled them many times before ever seeing them. These Whitetail bucks don’t seem to be near as Strong Smelling for whatever reason? You can definitely smell them, But NOTHING like Mule Deer and Blacktail.

If you kill a Buck that is RANK in the Rutt, Here is a Tip Idahoron Gave me, i have stil not had a reason to try it, Ron Swears by it! Cut the Meat up in chunks and Layer it in an ice chest, Sprinkle a layer of Rock Salt over it, Layer meat again and Rock Salt til you have it all done, Then completely cover it With Crushed Ice. Leave this Overnight, This Pulls the Blood out of the Meat, Which is where the Potent Gamey Taste comes from.

Idaholewis said:
Those are AWESOME Pictures Ron!!! Them Mule Deer, Along with Blacktail REALLY get RANK when they are Rutting!! I have smelled them many times before ever seeing them. These Whitetail bucks don’t seem to be near as Strong Smelling for whatever reason? You can definitely smell them, But NOTHING like Mule Deer and Blacktail.

If you kill a Buck that is RANK in the Rutt, Here is a Tip Idahoron Gave me, i have stil not had a reason to try it, Ron Swears by it! Cut the Meat up in chunks and Layer it in an ice chest, Sprinkle a layer of Rock Salt over it, Layer meat again and Rock Salt til you have it all done, Then completely cover it With Crushed Ice. Leave this Overnight, This Pulls the Blood out of the Meat, Which is where the Potent Gamey Taste comes from.
Just saw this thread...what I do with ole stinky bucks(whitetail) is just soak the meat in saltwater with a splash of vinegar after its thawed out. I don't usually cut up the hams or shoulders just grind them into burger for jerky, no soaking required then. Once the jerky mix gets in the meat real good there is no gamy taste an it passes the grand kids test!

I guess I have been lucky I have yet to get deer meat that was to gamey. Going out at 5 in the morning for some bow hunting got word second rut hit this week so hopefully I have some luck. then Christmas weekend muzzleloading starts. And I got Saturday Monday And Tuesday in the woods unless I tag out on Saturday.

Ron’s Pics above are just AWESOME!! Those are both Nice Bucks, and appears to be in Town?

The Pic of the 2 Bucks, with the 1 Posturing towards the other is as Cool as it gets :yeah:

I shot a whitetail several years ago with my bow in September that was horrible gamey. I wish I would've known the cooler rock salt trick then. I'm too stubborn to just throw it out, so it ended up being eaten after being cooked OUTSIDE on the BBQ drowned in strong flavored BBQ sauce. I should've bought a keg and invited friends over to celebrate when the last package finally got finished off.

Renegadehunter said:
I shot a whitetail several years ago with my bow in September that was horrible gamey. I wish I would've known the cooler rock salt trick then. I'm too stubborn to just throw it out, so it ended up being eaten after being cooked OUTSIDE on the BBQ drowned in strong flavored BBQ sauce. I should've bought a keg and invited friends over to celebrate when the last package finally got finished off.

:lol: :lol: I hear ya! I didn’t know the Rocksalt and ice trick either until Ron showed it to me, It is AMAZING how much blood It draws from the Meat (Which is where the Gamey taste Comes from) I grew up hunting Blacktails on the Wa Coast, those things were RANK in the Rutt! Lot’s of times we Smelled them long before seeing them! Dad told me many years ago that us kids ate several Deer over the years that were pretty Rough :lol: Like this Guy
YcD9S4nl.jpg

Which Exact Model is your Trail Cam Ron? I see a Browning Logo in the Bottom left Screen, They probably make a TON of Different Models? I would like to have 1 like yours, That thing takes REALLY Good Pics!

I have always wanted to go out west somewhere to hunt a muley buck. And here you have them in the back yard! 8)

Your chance of drawing a tag to hunt bucks in the back yard is zero. My chance of drawing a tag to hunt bucks in the back yard is zero.

You have a fair chance of drawing a tag to hunt big necked Mule Deer Bucks lots of other places. My chance of hunting a big necked Mule Deer anywhere is zero, say wife... :D ... Hope you get the chance one day!

Back