Thumbhole stock?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Has anybody ever seen anyone that has attempted 3D printing of stocks? I have one thumbhole stock, which I believe was made by Boyd and really like it but I've done searches and don't believe you can get them anywhere. I've always wondered if the material used in 3D printers would be strong enough for a gun stock and I've done a little searching that ends up in going down a lot of rabbit holes. Probably would have to be a relatively larger commercial operation to do this I'm guessing. I'm pretty uneducated on 3D printing things other than a neighbor that does a side business doing Star Wars stuff.

Has anybody ever seen anyone that has attempted 3D printing of stocks? I have one thumbhole stock, which I believe was made by Boyd and really like it but I've done searches and don't believe you can get them anywhere. I've always wondered if the material used in 3D printers would be strong enough for a gun stock and I've done a little searching that ends up in going down a lot of rabbit holes. Probably would have to be a relatively larger commercial operation to do this I'm guessing. I'm pretty uneducated on 3D printing things other than a neighbor that does a side business doing Star Wars stuff.
Like CatamountRob said, I don't know about getting access to a 3D printer big enough to make a full gun stock. Now I'm not sayin there isn't any out there, its worth looking into I guess.
There are a few guys that have computerized imaging thingamabobs that scan your stock & will duplicate it & I think changes can be programmed into that. That is a more feasible route IMHO.

You could always contact someone with a stock duplicating machine. I made a stock from plastic and auto bondo years ago and sent it to small outfit along with a few nice blanks of walnut. the stocks are about 90% prefit depending on the operator and you finish the rest. This stock is for a Remington 700 muzzleloader. I have also done them for Savage muzzleloaders

Attachments

• 452.jpg
    452.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 1
  • 451.jpg
    451.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 2
You could always contact someone with a stock duplicating machine. I made a stock from plastic and auto bondo years ago and sent it to small outfit along with a few nice blanks of walnut. the stocks are about 90% prefit depending on the operator and you finish the rest. This stock is for a Remington 700 muzzleloader. I have also done them for Savage muzzleloaders
Wow. That's some beautiful wood! Would you happen to have any name(s) of stock duplicating companies?

WOW! Thats thee purdiest 700ML I've ever laid my eyes on.

10 years ago there were quite a few professional stock Builders across the country that had five axis duplicators and knew how to use them it's hard to find anymore when you combine that with the price of a really nice highly figured blank you're looking at a lot of money for a really nice custom beautiful Wood stock I'm a big fan myself one thing to remember that highly figured Walnut is much more unstable than lesser figured highly figured Walnut is much more likely to move around and swell and shrink and change not trying to talk someone away from it but I sure wouldn't take a stock like that out in bad weather you almost end up with a showpiece it's so nice you're afraid to hunt with it and there's definitely places for those rifles in my collection too I'm an absolute wood nut again there's some ways to cut prices on custom stocks Richard's microfit in California has some thumb hole stocks that would work with Remington actions but if you're looking at a one-off stock from a duplicator done right you better get your wallet out add the nice wood you'll end up spending more on the stock if you're not careful by the time it's finished then you did the rifle and that's okay too just be aware of that going into it

Thanks for the kind words guys. The thumbhole stocks here are of my own design and I bought a few really nice blanks (wet) back in the late 90's and let them dry in the attic for 10-15 years. Walnut has gone through the roof, but good deals can still be had. The wood on the gun above was a blank purchased from Cecil Freddi in Las Vegas in 1996 for $165.00 Those deals are long gone!! The Marlin 1894 I purchased that blank for $50.00 on ebay. Wood grain is hard to see when it's in a blank and always looks better once it is final shaped.
I used Mike Kokolis to cut my thumhole design stocks, sadly Mike passed away some time back. He was a great guy that always called me Kid. Mike trained a younger gentleman to take his bussiness over before he passed. His name is Jesse Wilson of Custom Rifle Stocks in Pa. Jesse is a very talented maker and have used him several times, He has my thumbhole pattern (Remington 700 short action Right hand) now and is making me a laminated one now. The two piece stocks were cut from my blanks by Treebone Carving and turns out very nice products

Attachments

• IMG_0808 (1).jpg
    IMG_0808 (1).jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0811.jpg
    IMG_0811.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0814.jpg
    IMG_0814.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0815 (1).jpg
    IMG_0815 (1).jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1239.jpg
    IMG_1239.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1240.jpg
    IMG_1240.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1273.jpg
    IMG_1273.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1274.jpg
    IMG_1274.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3039.jpg
    IMG_3039.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3040.jpg
    IMG_3040.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
I have some really nice persimmon draying but it takes years to go from dropping a log to making stock ,I may try to cheat a little bit and kiln dry some of it

Now Long Rider,
That 1894 Marlin had to been a gift from Marlin Co. to Annie Oakley! LOL
Well if it wasn’t it could have been.
Absolutely gorgeous piece of wood and work.73 too!
Like the schnabel on the 700 too.
I’ve been itching to make a 700ML mannlicher. Probably not practical. But……

Those Marlins were both bought of Gunbroker and were 20" carbine round bbl. one is a 1974 and the other 1975 model. I had the long 26" long octagonal made from a Green Mountain blank and fitted to the receiver by an old gunsmith in Ohio. I polished the bbl with different stones to keep all the flats sharp. I had purchased the irregular stump walnut years ago I fit all the wood to the metal starting with the forearm, that's the hardest part, them the crescent butt plate. This one is chambered in .44 Magnum. The short bbl Marlin is in .45 Colt I bought that bbl from Numrich Gun Parts and just switched out the round carbine bbl for the octagonal bbl and fitted the new wood to the metal.
I have a few pictures of the wood shortly after I began working on it they are below.
The Uberti 1873 was a 20" bbl .45 Colt and I changed the bbl out to .44 Special. and used some fantastic crotch walnut for this one I call "Show Girl" I also did a modified deluxe pistol grip 1873 that I changed the design on the grip to look like the guns did in the early years. I tried to get the look of an old Marlin as well as Winchester, I think it's unique looking If you look at the Uberti factory deluxe stock it looks homely as Rosie O'donnell and they don't use any kinda walnut I'v ever seen, it looks like sycamore with red stain. I also added another set of raw wood that I have not started yet. Maybe later this year, anyway I'm very happy you guys like some of my projects. I enjoy showing them

Attachments

• IMG_1249.jpg
    IMG_1249.jpg
    945.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1251.jpg
    IMG_1251.jpg
    921.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1255.jpg
    IMG_1255.jpg
    950.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0336.jpg
    IMG_0336.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0338.jpg
    IMG_0338.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0339.jpg
    IMG_0339.jpg
    844.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0340.jpg
    IMG_0340.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0341.jpg
    IMG_0341.jpg
    874.6 KB · Views: 0
I can't even imagine the hours these each took !! My 90 yr old gunsmith told me over 50 yrs ago " It dosen't take any more work to make a stock out of AAA wood than a plain straight-grained blank" He was wrong. As you know it takes alot of rasping and filing when the grain doesn't follow a particular pattern. My most used tool is a 1/2 rd file , it cuts down on mucho sanding saving time and effort for these 77 yr old hands LOL. You've made these rifles into works of art, as such I doubt I'll be showing any of my work as it pales to these. ( just kidding about not showing my efforts ) Thanx for sharing LR PS: I'm sure Doug Turnbull could use an extra hand.

Some fine artwork there and I like your Thumbhole design better than my Boyds. Long story but my Mom has a huge black walnut tree at her house that just makes a mess and I've thought about getting it cut down. It's in a small town in MI so trying to find someone who'd cut it down for the wood might be a challenge let alone getting something blanks made from it especially since I'm in Colorado. At any rate, probably just too many rabbit holes to try to chase down.

Some fine artwork there and I like your Thumbhole design better than my Boyds. "D:\photos from S9+\20190628_081030.jpg"
Long story but my Mom has a huge black walnut tree at her house that just makes a mess and I've thought about getting it cut down. It's in a small town in MI so trying to find someone who'd cut it down for the wood might be a challenge let alone getting something blanks made from it especially since I'm in Colorado. At any rate, probably just too many rabbit holes to try to chase down.

Attachments

• 20190628_081423.jpg
    20190628_081423.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20190628_081030.jpg
    20190628_081030.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 0
Some fine artwork there and I like your Thumbhole design better than my Boyds. Long story but my Mom has a huge black walnut tree at her house that just makes a mess and I've thought about getting it cut down. It's in a small town in MI so trying to find someone who'd cut it down for the wood might be a challenge let alone getting something blanks made from it especially since I'm in Colorado. At any rate, probably just too many rabbit holes to try to chase down.
Thank you for the kind words. I really like it as well, it's very comfortable. Depending on the size of your Mom's tree, it's worth thousands of dollars to the right guy.

Latest posts

Back