Thumbhole stock?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the kind words guys. The thumbhole stocks here are of my own design and I bought a few really nice blanks (wet) back in the late 90's and let them dry in the attic for 10-15 years. Walnut has gone through the roof, but good deals can still be had. The wood on the gun above was a blank purchased from Cecil Freddi in Las Vegas in 1996 for $165.00 Those deals are long gone!! The Marlin 1894 I purchased that blank for $50.00 on ebay. Wood grain is hard to see when it's in a blank and always looks better once it is final shaped.
I used Mike Kokolis to cut my thumhole design stocks, sadly Mike passed away some time back. He was a great guy that always called me Kid. Mike trained a younger gentleman to take his bussiness over before he passed. His name is Jesse Wilson of Custom Rifle Stocks in Pa. Jesse is a very talented maker and have used him several times, He has my thumbhole pattern (Remington 700 short action Right hand) now and is making me a laminated one now. The two piece stocks were cut from my blanks by Treebone Carving and turns out very nice products
Love em, sadly I would probably ruin them falling.

3D printing a stock is interesting. It is doable. But you have to print it in sections and then glue the sections together to make the entire stock. It would be functional but maybe not quite so pretty. The plastics available should be fine for all but maybe the big game elephant tiger caliber guns.

I think that there are some large industrial or company size 3D printers that could print the whole thing in one piece. But us hobbyists cannot afford them. We would have to use smaller 3D printers. Thus the making it in sections and gluing it together.

You would do a 3D scan of the stock to duplicate. Then process that scan and convert it to a 3D drawing file. Then that is used to create the slices and setup the special 3D print files for the printer. You might have to modify or tweak it a few times to get it just right. But once it is done you could print out all of the sticks you want.

Anyway there are quite a few being printed allready;
https://www.google.com/search?q=3d+...j0j7&hl=en-US&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

Back