Thunderhawk doesnt like 777

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Took the new Thunderhawk and zeroed scope in, started out with some old Knight 260 gr sabots to get on paper, then switched to 300 gr Nosler Partitions w/mmp ez-sabot. They loaded fairly easily, swabbed every 2 shots. 1st 3 shots were decent but about every couple shots would get slight hang fire sometimes 2 shots in a row..
When swabbing it was damp patch down and back both sides same for dry patch then pop 2-3 caps..when adding powder bumped butt of gun on ground to settle powder didnt seem to make much difference in hang fires they just happened,using Schuetzen musket caps so pretty hot cap.Load was 95 gr 3F 777 300 gr osler Partition mmp-ez sabot, loaded with about 15# of pressure so fairly easy.

Next load was .44 .430- 300 gr XTP w/green crush rib Harvester sabot, 1st 3 shots were right together last 2 shots were slight hang fires again.. this load loads good/stiff but not real hard and seems like its going to be accurate.. Next trip out going to ditch the 777 and try some 2Fand 3f black powder.
Distance was 52 yds.nosler partitions.jpg nosler partitions.jpg 20191205_164104.jpg

I'm a black powder guy, easiest powder to ignite by far. I agree with Steve on trying a lower charge. Good Luck!

I think the hang fires had more to do with the accuracy then the 3F, 3f shoots good in most of my Whites..Not sure why it was having hang fires as everything was clean/dry and clear when shooting and as stated I bounced butt of gun on ground to get powder down against end flash hole. Only thing I can think of may be happening is the nipple might be becoming blocked with soot like on a side lock where you have to pick nipple, that would explain the slight delays.
Going to try black powder next, 2f Goex or Swiss and see what happens.

Last edited:
What are you swabbing with ? when I use T7 2F or 3F I just pop a patch in my mouth and get it barley damp followed with a dry patch or a patch with 91% alco barley damp followed by dry path and have never had a problem . Now when I used to shoot the #11 caps the only time I would get a hang fire or misfire it would be because of a little paper like disc out of the cap that would get down in the nipple. Try some Conical's to to see how they shoot also

I'm a black powder guy, easiest powder to ignite by far. I agree with Steve on trying a lower charge. Good Luck!

Simply CANNOT Beat Real Blackpowder For RELIABLE ignition, There’s Nothing else like it

What are you swabbing with ? when I use T7 2F or 3F I just pop a patch in my mouth and get it barley damp followed with a dry patch or a patch with 91% alco barley damp followed by dry path and have never had a problem . Now when I used to shoot the #11 caps the only time I would get a hang fire or misfire it would be because of a little paper like disc out of the cap that would get down in the nipple. Try some Conical's to to see how they shoot also

Swabbing with a spit patch same as you just barely wet. I shot 2 No Excuse 460 gr conicals, they were about 3 in apart, quit shooting as gun was super filthy by then.

Lewis I agree with you on the ignition qualities of black powder.

Just for the heck of it try some RWS caps. I have a case of the schutzen musket caps and have had some not so good experience's with them. I switched over to the RWS and they went away.

Swabbing with a spit patch same as you just barely wet. I shot 2 No Excuse 460 gr conicals, they were about 3 in apart, quit shooting as gun was super filthy by then.

Lewis I agree with you on the ignition qualities of black powder.

Does that Rifle have the QLA Muzzle Dean? I will send you a Few Bullets that will Bring that OLE Gal Alive :lewis: What Size do they need to be?

Yeah it has the QLA, not sure on bore size no way to measure.. the No-Excuse conicals fit pretty good, didn't try any Bullshops.
I'm probably just going to make this a sabot gun since I have all my Whites/Knights for conical bullets, appreciate the offer though.

I think the hang fires had more to do with the accuracy then the 3F, 3f shoots good in most of my Whites..Not sure why it was having hang fires as everything was clean/dry and clear when shooting and as stated I bounced butt of gun on ground to get powder down against end flash hole. Only thing I can think of may be happening is the nipple might be becoming blocked with soot like on a side lock where you have to pick nipple, that would explain the slight delays.
Going to try black powder next, 2f Goex or Swiss and see what happens.
I only shot it with 80grv 2f t7, a 250gr shockwave and a CCI #11 in that gun but had that peep on it. I think it did better than that, tho.

Yeah it has the QLA, not sure on bore size no way to measure.. the No-Excuse conicals fit pretty good, didn't try any Bullshops.
I'm probably just going to make this a sabot gun since I have all my Whites/Knights for conical bullets, appreciate the offer though.

Sabots might be your best bet? I have ZERO faith in TC’s QLA Muzzle, i have seen some UNREAL CRAZINESS come from them

Is it a T/C flame thrower nipple?
opplanet-thompson-center-stainless-flame-thrower-musket-nipple-33705.jpg

And those 44cal 300gr bullets are very long for a 1-38 twist. Ive never gotten Partitions to shoot that great either. Good enough for hunting within 100 yards but nothing great.

Getting ready to go out and take some shots using Swiss 2F, will see how it goes.. only other reason might be because Ive got a different musket cap nipple it has a longer fire channel on it then the #11 nipple.
I need to take a day where Ive got the time and try a bunch of different powder/bullet combos..muzzleloader season comes in tomorrow and while I dont have to hunt with it would like to get it shooting consistently enough to use it.

Is it a T/C flame thrower nipple?
opplanet-thompson-center-stainless-flame-thrower-musket-nipple-33705.jpg

And those 44cal 300gr bullets are very long for a 1-38 twist. Ive never gotten Partitions to shoot that great either. Good enough for hunting within 100 yards but nothing great.

No its not a flamethrower nipple Ive got some may put one of them in later..it acts like it wants to shoot the XTPs good, my Firehawks have always shot them great both the 240 and the .44 300 gr. But every gun is different so will just have to experiment.

Hi, perhaps I can help a little here. I've had ML's since my mid 20's, after the traditional Thompson .50 Hawken & a Kentucky rifle .50( not flint lock ) to a Thompson ( I think I got the Fire Hawk first then the Thunder Hawk ( both in .50 ) to two .50 Omega's ( loved them emensely). I used Pyrodex Pellets in all along with powerbelts. ZERO PROBLEMS EVER. The Onega's my load was 3-50gr pellets & a 223gr powerbelt. Out to 250yrds it was simply - boom, wait for SCHWACK, wait for smoke to clear, Deer Down. Really. I think the thunder & fire hawks only took 2- 50gr pellets max & I think I used 300gr powerbelts in them. After trying all kinds of other loads, projectiles, types of both. That's where I ended up at. It was fast re loads & nothing in muzzleloading more simplex & very effective at short & moderate ranges. Hope this helps. Lots of barrel cleaning tho. Kind regards, Tom P

Have used pyrodex pellets in Firehawks, Black Diamonds, Thunderhawks and Ruger 77/50s plus a few others..never had any problems with them either and killed a bunch of deer using them.. prefer loose powder now so wont be going back to them, dont care for Powerbelts, killed a couple deer with them using 2 pyrodex pellets and the 348 gr powerbelts and both of them blew up at close range less then 25 yds, they killed the deer but blew almost fist sized in their sides with no exit. Deer died very quickly but were a mess. Too many bullets are out their that are a lot cheaper and better quality to even consider using them.

Have used pyrodex pellets in Firehawks, Black Diamonds, Thunderhawks and Ruger 77/50s plus a few others..never had any problems with them either and killed a bunch of deer using them.. prefer loose powder now so wont be going back to them, dont care for Powerbelts, killed a couple deer with them using 2 pyrodex pellets and the 348 gr powerbelts and both of them blew up at close range less then 25 yds, they killed the deer but blew almost fist sized in their sides with no exit. Deer died very quickly but were a mess. Too many bullets are out their that are a lot cheaper and better quality to even consider using them.
I guess I'm just fortunate in having that simple set up work for me & work well. Yes I agree 100% the AeroTip's & HP's can creat massive amounts of damage on a deer. The 223gr .50 AeroTip's preformed for me fantastic at 30-40yards out to 250yards and didn't destroy the deer in the process. I found in the fire & thunder hawks using the heavier lead & solid bullets didn't make a huge mess of everything either but with devistating knock down power with 2 pellets. I am capable of head shots or neck shots at any range I've encountered out to 300yards.with the ML's I've had, 150-200yards. A monster buck in rut make a great mount, sure. But I was raised as a meat hunter which head or neck shots are a huge plus in several ways. I did the whole loose powder thing & many diff bullet weights & types the first few yrs shooting & hunting w/ML's. The knowledge & experience was priceless, aggravating, and awesome. Sorry I couldn't help. I did enjoy the convo tho. Kind regards & best wishes to find that perfect load for you.

Latest posts

Back