Thursday - Another shooting Trip to the rock Pit with a new Brass bullet

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sabotloader

Keep Shooting Muzzleloaders - They are a Blast
Supporting member
Reaction score
I am now second guessing myself!! Because of the way the base (powder cup) of the bullet is constructed I am not sure these bullets will function as a sabotless 45 cal. bullet.

Thursday 6-1, I made an escape from Moscow and drove out to the Rock Pit to do same shooting. It is great recreation!!!

The goal was to shoot the new brass bullet that Dave put up on the SSK web site.
  • .458 CALIBER, 265GR, FRACTURING HUNTING MUZZLELOADER BULLET WITH HARVESTER CRUSH RIB SABOT FOR 50 CAL
1685824052812.png

Right now, it is the only bullet listed on the SSK web site. As I understand it the bulle was built for the new Mongrel rifle that SSK is building and selling. It was my understanding that the was a problem with the current bullet loading/shooting from the Mongrel so the folks at SSK decided to put it in a 50 Cal Crush Rib sabot and put it out on in the market.

I had shot it with a Knight U-Lite several months ago but the day was right and I needed to do something I enjoyed doing.

If you look at the specification for the bullet - it really could be a very good animal getter. The Controlled Fracturing concept has proven to have excellent Terminal Performance on game. And the specifications indicate the CF function will work done to 750 fps which could extend the down range functioning of CF to allow longer shots from a normal muzzleloading rifle.

The picture below shows the results of my short trip to the Rock Pit.

6-1-Shoot-Pit.jpg

Right now I believe Dave has created another winner!!!

Last edited:
LOL. All this talk about the brass bullets elsewhere in the forums and the next thing we know you're out shooting. Damn. I'm envious. It's so hot and dry here that I'm afraid to take dry powder outside.

I have a bag full of those brass bullets to try in my smokeless Patriot but haven't found the time yet....but its coming.

LOL...funny you should post this. I just sent you an email on this exact same bullet. I was wondering how it would work sized down for a .45 muzzy? If not I could always shoot them out of my 700ML. Are they tight going down with that CR sabot? After all, it is made for a .452" bullet!

LOL...funny you should post this. I just sent you an email on this exact same bullet. I was wondering how it would work sized down for a .45 muzzy? If not I could always shoot them out of my 700ML. Are they tight going down with that CR sabot? After all, it is made for a .452" bullet!
LOL...funny you should post this. I just sent you an email on this exact same bullet. I was wondering how it would work sized down for a .45 muzzy?

They will need to be re-sized for sure. I have not tried to re-size them as of today. But will try it either tomorrow or the next day. These bullets were built for the original SSK Mongrel. Then very recently Dave switched from one barrel maker to another - (Green Mountain) and they are to large for the GM barrel so he dropped them into a Harvester Crush Rib sabot and went about selling them to fit a 50 ML. They fit very well in my 50 cal Knights.

In your White 45's they just might work or need very little re-sizing. I sure would give them a try.

If not I could always shoot them out of my 700ML. Are they tight going down with that CR sabot? After all, it is made for a .452" bullet!

No they are not exceedingly tight at all going down. They load and shoot great!

SSK-265.jpg

Push them part way through the crown with your fingers then go to the gun rod or range rod.

Thursday 6-1, I made an escape from Moscow and drove out to the Rock Pit to do same shooting. It is great recreation!!!

The goal was to shoot the new brass bullet that Dave put up on the SSK web site.
  • .458 CALIBER, 265GR, FRACTURING HUNTING MUZZLELOADER BULLET WITH HARVESTER CRUSH RIB SABOT FOR 50 CAL
View attachment 34994

Right now, it is the only bullet listed on the SSK web site. As I understand it the bulle was built for the new Mongrel rifle that SSK is building and selling. It was my understanding that the was a problem with the current bullet loading/shooting from the Mongrel so the folks at SSK decided to put it in a 50 Cal Crush Rib sabot and put it out on in the market.

I had shot it with a Knight U-Lite several months ago but the day was right and I needed to do something I enjoyed doing.

If you look at the specification for the bullet - it really could be a very good animal getter. The Controlled Fracturing concept has proven to have excellent Terminal Performance on game. And the specifications indicate the CF function will work done to 750 fps which could extend the down range functioning of CF to allow longer shots from a normal muzzleloading rifle.

6-1-Shoot-Pit.jpg

Nice post, the fact that tjose brass bullets will still perform down to 750fps is impressive. Did not expect that at all.
I like the use of the clay " elk hearts ", pretty cool.

They will need to be re-sized for sure. I have not tried to re-size them as of today. But will try it either tomorrow or the next day. These bullets were built for the original SSK Mongrel. Then very recently Dave switched from one barrel maker to another - (Green Mountain) and they are to large for the GM barrel so he dropped them into a Harvester Crush Rib sabot and went about selling them to fit a 50 ML. They fit very well in my 50 cal Knights.

In your White 45's they just might work or need very little re-sizing. I sure would give them a try.

No they are not exceedingly tight at all going down. They load and shoot great!

SSK-265.jpg

Push them part way through the crown with your fingers then go to the gun rod or range rod.
Someday i might like to try them in the Accura .4525-.453. Do you think they will work? Or are they smaller than that?

Someday i might like to try them in the Accura .4525-.453. Do you think they will work? Or are they smaller than that?

MM - I am going to try to get some measurements today and possibly re-size them to .451. I will let you know what I find.

Off hand I would say I think they would fit great in those demensions

Last edited:
I have been using the green crush ribs in my Knights with Hornsby XTPs. Would they work with these bullets?

I have been using the green crush ribs in my Knights with Hornsby XTPs. Would they work with these bullets?

Not sure but thinking the Green CR is for a 44 cal bullet. If so I am not sure the bullet would drop in the sabot a d the 44 sabot probably has thicker petals.

Not sure but thinking the Green CR is for a 44 cal bullet. If so I am not sure the bullet would drop in the sabot a d the 44 sabot probably has thicker petals.
You're right Mike. The green is for .44 cal and the black is for .45. I use both with the 300 gr XTPs in .44 and .45 and they hit same POI. (or so close I can't tell the difference)

View attachment 34994

6-1-Shoot-Pit.jpg

I just bought a box of these to try in my overbored CVA Paramount...I'm betting these will require very little sizing to fit well...
keeping my fingers crossed 🤞!

Gosh! I hope they work for you! they shoot great for me with the sabot and in a 50 cal. I am unable to load them in my 45 cal. Knight U-Lites.

I am now second guessing myself!! Because of the way the base (powder cup) of the bullet is constructed I am not sure these bullets will function as a sabotless 45 cal. bullet.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back