TIG welded and Cerakoted Omega X7

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cattledog

Reaction score
About a month ago I sent out my blued X7 for some gunsmithing and cerakoting coating. The original issue for the gunsmithing was to repair the stripped rear screw hole on the rear lug of the blued omega X7 by welding the lug to the barrel. I felt that the job was possible due to the front screw in the rear lug was fine and that the welding was only going to be to the rear of the breech plug.

I also wanted the barrel cerakoted over nitriding due to potential heat treatment issues that could happen if salt bath nitride treatment was performed. I have no idea what steel or heat treatment that TC used in the blued omegas. I really wanted plasma nitride treatment but was unable to fine anyone who could do the work.

Well the barrel is back. I am not very impressed with the welding.... The welding has a notable number of pits and was welded at the front portion of the lug.... on the positive side the front screw is still in the rear lug. I have yet to decide if the barrel is a $145 tomato stake. What is the groups thoughts? BTW, I thought the cerakoting looked very good. I would do the cerakoting again.

y6862yMZL3bve4oK6

ceracoted omega x7.jpg

Looks like a lot of purosity there, from the pictures it looks like a bad job, but for what it’s doing it will probably be fine. That is still stronger than a screw, I would shoot it

Doesn't look like tig welding, looks like mig w/o gas being used just flux core wire maybe or he didn't have it hot enough with gas..like said though more then likely way stronger then a screw if he got any penetration at all.. you could always take a dremel with a cone wheel and dress up the weld but might mess up the ceracoating.

The gunsmith claimed TIG. I think he didn't prep the metal or had poor gas flow. I wacked it with a hammer a bunch and no splitting at the weld was noticed.

I will be shooting it. I will strap it down in a sled and pull the trigger from a distance. 120 grain with 300 xtp is the load I am thinking.

If you strap it down in a sled better not have any weight on the sled or you will run a good chance of busting your stock.. guns are not designed to take their full recoil your body is supposed to do part of it and a lead sled is not good at it especially if weighed down.
If anything I would wrap barrel and stock in electrical tape in a couple places real tight and just shoot it normal, shouldn't go anywhere then.

Thanks for the heads up. I had no idea. I have an extra synthetic stock. I will post up when I test it.

Well the rifle fired fine. Found a new load too. I had some 44 Cal .430 240 gr SWC HP laying around and green harvester sabots used 85 grains bh209. Easy to load a accurate! I think this will be my coyote load.

Latest posts

Back