Toads are out now

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrTom

Reaction score
Its finally warm enough to venture into the garage and work a little plastic. I dug out a Do-It Big Foot mold and cooked up a black and chartreuse toad to play with and decided to dress it up a bit in some color shifting pearls. I split an eye to give this bait a real miffed look, then did the back in a blue-purple shifting pearl. The body shot shows both colors pretty well but in the hand being turned in light there are a hundred hues and variations of the two colors. The belly is done in a three color pearl that goes from a soft gold to a metallic light green to a rose color. The green can be seen peeking out in the side view and becomes the primary color as the baits is turned in light.

Of course the Mississippi River is high and wild right now but as soon as nature reigns that big daddy back I plan to entice a bass or two with this. Or a pike. Or a dogfish.

Attachments

• IMG_1935_1.jpg
    IMG_1935_1.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 691
  • IMG_1933_1.jpg
    IMG_1933_1.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 691
Here's another done in more aggressive color shifting pearl.

The belly of this bait is showing the green side but had the bait been belly up we'd be seeing a yellow-gold. If there had been low light levels blue and purple would be working with the green. This is a cool color.

The back is seen here as the charcoal-heavy green that dominates in good light. In long shadows, shaded or poor light the back would absolutely blister with a fiery red-hot copper glitter color. This is easily the most aggressive and interesting color shifting pearl I work with.

This toad is going to the river to play too.

Attachments

• IMG_1936_1.jpg
    IMG_1936_1.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 688
The weather has finally warmed up enough to merit being in the garage and making a few baits. Once I get caught up on yard stuff and the garden I'll be doing some crappie stuff and can e-mail a picture to you of what I make.

Latest posts

Back