Tomato frames up

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bushfire

Reaction score
Excuse the mess, still a work in progress. But I managed to whip a couple of frames for my tomatoes after work the other night. Just in time before we had 3 consecutive days of high wind up to 75 km/h / 45 mph. Managed to hold up well.

I've got 4 Australian heirloom medium tomatoes, a brandywine and purple Cherokee in one bed. And a few varieties of cherries in the front. Since the pic I've added some more.

This year I'll freeze the excess as we have it and at the end of the season put it all together to make sauce and passata.

20201209_092706.jpg

My garlic harvest has been drying out nicely too, some good size this year.

20201213_150620.jpg

My grandfather planted long, straight, rows of tomatoes and staked them up with T-posts and bailing wire. I pounded a gawd-awful amount of posts as a teenager to keep the tomatoes off the ground. As the plants grew taller, we would add another strand of wire. Made picking pretty easy.

Excuse the mess, still a work in progress. But I managed to whip a couple of frames for my tomatoes after work the other night. Just in time before we had 3 consecutive days of high wind up to 75 km/h / 45 mph. Managed to hold up well.

I've got 4 Australian heirloom medium tomatoes, a brandywine and purple Cherokee in one bed. And a few varieties of cherries in the front. Since the pic I've added some more.

This year I'll freeze the excess as we have it and at the end of the season put it all together to make sauce and passata.

View attachment 11713

My garlic harvest has been drying out nicely too, some good size this year.

View attachment 11714

Looks AWESOME @Bushfire :lewis: Sitting here in Winter time, it’s hard for me to imagine summer there? You live in a unique part of the World my Friend! How cold does it get there in June/July? On average?

Looks AWESOME @Bushfire :lewis: Sitting here in Winter time, it’s hard for me to imagine summer there? You live in a unique part of the World my Friend! How cold does it get there in June/July? On average?

It's an interesting place, I reckon if an American woke up here one morning to the calls of galahs and kookaburras, a goanna climbing a tree and a few roos, wallabies and emus grazing it would seem like another world.

Where I live our average high in winter is around 10 deg (50F) with max lows down to -5 (23F). It's a damp cold though because we have rain instead of snow.

Summer averages between 29 (85F) and 43 (110F).

We don't have much of an autumn or spring, just long cold winters and long hot summers. About 12 inches of rain a year too. Not sure where in the states would be similar.

Australia is the size of the lower 48 though, so we have some alpine snowy regions, tropical rainforests and lots of desert.

It's an interesting place, I reckon if an American woke up here one morning to the calls of galahs and kookaburras, a goanna climbing a tree and a few roos, wallabies and emus grazing it would seem like another world.

Where I live our average high in winter is around 10 deg (50F) with max lows down to -5 (23F). It's a damp cold though because we have rain instead of snow.

Summer averages between 29 (85F) and 43 (110F).

We don't have much of an autumn or spring, just long cold winters and long hot summers. About 12 inches of rain a year too. Not sure where in the states would be similar.

Australia is the size of the lower 48 though, so we have some alpine snowy regions, tropical rainforests and lots of desert.

I would LOVE to Visit Australia one of these Days, “Bucket list deal”

Seems like gardening is always a work in progress! Your post reminds me that I'll be planting my 'maters in 3 months.
I use 6x6 concrete wire for cages with a tee-post to keep them upright in the wind.
I don't freeze mine as it takes up freezer space. I can mine, about 105 pounds worth this year, 20 quarts of sauce for pasta. I'll run out of sauce before the new crop is ready to pick.
Jack, I'm thinking of Red deer and perhaps scrub bull if I get to make a trip this coming year.
Happy gardening, and shoot straight.

Seems like gardening is always a work in progress! Your post reminds me that I'll be planting my 'maters in 3 months.
I use 6x6 concrete wire for cages with a tee-post to keep them upright in the wind.
I don't freeze mine as it takes up freezer space. I can mine, about 105 pounds worth this year, 20 quarts of sauce for pasta. I'll run out of sauce before the new crop is ready to pick.
Jack, I'm thinking of Red deer and perhaps scrub bull if I get to make a trip this coming year.
Happy gardening, and shoot straight.

I had to google what a quart works out to be in metric, good amount of passata at any rate!

Reds and scrub bulls are in different parts of the country. At this stage it's looking like we'll still be closed to the world next year because we finally eradicated covid here, but who knows what can happen.

Ah, but home made sauce from your own tomatoes is the bestest, mostest flavorful, and salt free-est stuff you can eat. The old Italian restaurants in Occidental can't even come close because they get commercially grown 'maters.
I see that AU isn't letting anyone in. Can't blame them. Too bad the borders weren't shut down here as well. Just got a notification on my phone this morning stating "Stay home, wear a mask, look both ways crossing the street, don't run with scissors, don't eat yellow snow, etc., etc., etc." California is quite the nanny state, with the politicians flexing their power.
If I do get the chance to show up it will be for 2 weeks or less. Who knows, maybe 2022. Life changes day to day.

Wow. Looks like someone has a rather green thumb. The older I get the more interested I have become about growing things. This spring I thought I'd try watermelon on my deck in seven gallon fabric pots. Ever tried growing watermelon?

Things are just about ready for the picking.

Tomatoes
View attachment 12354
Grosse lisse
20210116_141943.jpg

Butternut pumpkin
20210116_141859.jpg

Candymelon - a new Australian variety of melon. Similar to rockmelon/cantaloupe but crisper and sweeter.
20210116_141911.jpg

Attachments

• 20210116_141859.jpg
    20210116_141859.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 1
  • 20210116_141835.jpg
    20210116_141835.jpg
    214.8 KB · Views: 1
Corn
20210116_141926.jpg

Shelling peas
20210116_141952.jpg

String beans
20210116_141959.jpg

We had a recent heatwave with things in the high 30s (100 to 105F ish), but things have handled it well.

Corn
View attachment 12360

Shelling peas
View attachment 12361

String beans
View attachment 12362

We had a recent heatwave with things in the high 30s (100 to 105F ish), but things have handled it well.
Garden looks great! Another 4-5 weeks before we can start to plant. As a youngster, I pounded hundreds of T-Posts and strung miles of baling wire tying up tomatoes. Grandpa had about 40 acres of tomatoes planted every year. Everyone knew he grew the best tomatoes in southern Utah and people came from miles around to buy a bushel. That man could grow a carrot on a lava rock. He died a couple of years ago at 93.
Glad that German bullet didn’t take him in the war, so I was able to know him. Had he not turned to pick his rifle up when he did, he would have died over there in France. He walked 7 miles shot through the shoulder to get help. Got sent home for a month, made my mother, and went back to France to continue the fight. Received a Purple Heart for his efforts.

Your grandfather was a very brave man, along with the others fighting for the cause..They fought so we could have the freedoms we enjoy now! Now adays do our elected officials know what our freedoms even are? Seems to me they just want to change our great nation into a bunch of candy ass cowards who want everything for nothing..

Those look sooooo good. Wife bought some tomatoes at the store the other day, godawful flat flavor and texture. And I have a good month plus, till frost free days even if the ground gets dry enough to till.
Enjoy!

Latest posts

Back