Too much time to dream...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok, tell me I'm crazy. Doc has some G series receivers for sale. And all the parts to complete one.
I'm thinking about purchasing one, and fitting a .375 barrel to it, making a copy of Doc's .367.
A 1 in 14 twist was what he built, but an 18 might work ok.
I would want to shoot 250 to 350 grain bullets.
.36 is legal in Tn for deer, but it would mainly be for fun.
Thoughts?

Keep in mind that the Small Bores are ABSOLUTELY BRUTAL on Nipple Flash Holes. They Build a LOT of Pressure

This is the Bullet for my .35 Cal (9MM) 340 Grain Bullet, 1:15 Twist 32” Barrel i had Built for a TC Renegade Sidelock
VteZrHvl.jpg

About 12-15 Shots and a Brand New Nipple is LONG GONE. Each Shot is Obviously Different due to the MASSIVE wear of the Flash Hole. I had to go to a Buffalo Arms Platinum Lined Nipple (60 Bucks a Piece)
26NuSoOm.jpg

Keep in mind that the Small Bores are ABSOLUTELY BRUTAL on Nipple Flash Holes. They Build a LOT of Pressure

This is the Bullet for my .35 Cal (9MM) 340 Grain Bullet, 1:15 Twist 32” Barrel i had Built for a TC Renegade Sidelock
VteZrHvl.jpg

About 12-15 Shots and a Brand New Nipple is LONG GONE. Each Shot is Obviously Different due to the MASSIVE wear of the Flash Hole. I had to go to a Buffalo Arms Platinum Lined Nipple (60 Bucks a Piece)
26NuSoOm.jpg
Wow!

I'll keep that in mind. What about using one of the new breech plugs Bestill makes with a changeable nipple?

Any suggestions on twist rate or barrel length? Or expected velocity? I'm not looking for a screamer, maybe 1500 fps. Doable with decent flash hole life?

VteZrHvl.jpg

26NuSoOm.jpg
Lewis, how much life should one expect from one of those $60 nipples?

Lewis, how much life should one expect from one of those $60 nipples?

I cannot say for sure? As I have not Got there with one yet. Mine actually Shrank Slightly in Size, from .026 to .025 measured with Pin Gauges

Below is Copied & Pasted from Buffalo Arms (i assume Dave Gullo wrote it)

Platinum lined nipples are a must when shooting heavy bullets with large charges such as I use in long range (1000 Yards) muzzleloading matches. These will withstand pressures generated by these loads without eroding for a long period of time. I have over 1000 rounds fired with 90+ grains of Swiss 1 1/2 F black powder and they are still going strong. I can only get 30-40 shots out of a standard nipple before it is worn out making a platinum nipple far better and cheaper in the long run. The rapid wear in the standard nipples means that each shot is different and materially effects the accuracy of your rifle. Hole diameter is .026"

I cannot say for sure? As I have not Got there with one yet. Mine actually Shrank Slightly in Size, from .026 to .025 measured with Pin Gauges

Below is Copied & Pasted from Buffalo Arms (i assume Dave Gullo wrote it)

Platinum lined nipples are a must when shooting heavy bullets with large charges such as I use in long range (1000 Yards) muzzleloading matches. These will withstand pressures generated by these loads without eroding for a long period of time. I have over 1000 rounds fired with 90+ grains of Swiss 1 1/2 F black powder and they are still going strong. I can only get 30-40 shots out of a standard nipple before it is worn out making a platinum nipple far better and cheaper in the long run. The rapid wear in the standard nipples means that each shot is different and materially effects the accuracy of your rifle. Hole diameter is .026"
Sounds like a one or two of them could be a good investment in the long run all things cosidered.

Sounds like a one or two of them could be a good investment in the long run all things cosidered.

For Real Blackpowder, and Longevity they Simply Cannot be beat! The tiny Flash Hole is Obviously geared at Real Blackpowder, And is to Small For Reliable ignition with Substitute Powders, i have NO experience Drilling the Platinum Liner Out Larger (I shoot Swiss Real Blackpowder EXCLUSIVELY in All of My Guns) so I cannot Recommend them for Sub Powders

For Real Blackpowder, and Longevity they Simply Cannot be beat! The tiny Flash Hole is Obviously geared at Real Blackpowder, And is to Small For Reliable ignition with Substitute Powders, i have NO experience Drilling the Platinum Liner Out Larger (I shoot Swiss Real Blackpowder EXCLUSIVELY in All of My Guns) so I cannot Recommend them for Sub Powders
With Pyro Select and the Treso nipple, I do get a slight hang fire. Accuracy is great. Hang fire is annoying. I don’t flinch anymore when I shoot, at least when there is beer involved😜😜😜😜

With Pyro Select and the Treso nipple, I do get a slight hang fire. Accuracy is great. Hang fire is annoying. I don’t flinch anymore when I shoot, at least when there is beer involved😜😜😜😜

🙃 With Sub powders like Pyrodex, Open your Flash Hole up to .032, That will help a Bunch. Believe it or not, 2 Brand new TC Hotshot Nipples i had here measured .035 out of the Package with my Pin Gauges, That is a HUGE Flash Hole! And What I would consider SHOT OUT (TC obviously knew the Sub Powders Require a Much Hotter Spark, and They Pushed Their Hotshot Nipple to The VERY EDGE/LIMIT) There is a Fine line there, A Sidelock Muzzleloader will Start Going to Half Cock, and then to Full, It becomes DANGEROUS. I am SURE thankful i am not Stuck shooting Substitute Powders. Knowing what i do today, if i were to move away from here and Was unable to Find Swiss Real Blackpowder wherever i ended up? I would UNDOUBTEDLY order it, and GLADLY pay the Hazmat fee, BEFORE i ever messed with The Substitute Powders

🙃 With Sub powders like Pyrodex, Open your Flash Hole up to .032, That will help a Bunch. Believe it or not, 2 Brand new TC Hotshot Nipples i had here measured .035 out of the Package with my Pin Gauges, That is a HUGE Flash Hole! And What I would consider SHOT OUT (TC obviously knew the Sub Powders Require a Much Hotter Spark, and They Pushed Their Hotshot Nipple to The VERY EDGE/LIMIT) There is a Fine line there, A Sidelock Muzzleloader will Start Going to Half Cock, and then to Full, It becomes DANGEROUS. I am SURE thankful i am not Stuck shooting Substitute Powders. Knowing what i do today, if i were to move away from here and Was unable to Find Swiss Real Blackpowder wherever i ended up? I would UNDOUBTEDLY order it, and GLADLY pay the Hazmat fee, BEFORE i ever messed with The Substitute Powders
I ended up doing just that! Haven’t shot it yet, but I got two pounds sitting waiting for me to have a little free time. Taking tomorrow off of work to give grandma a break from kids and grandkids. I’ll take my two youngest boys and two year old grandson to the shop tomorrow to cast up some bullets and weigh out some Swiss!

Lewis,
I came across this older thread(2016) from Idaho Ron. Just wondering if you had any such problems with the platinum lined nipple in your GM Barrels.

Buffalo Arms Platinum Lined Nipple WARNING!!!

I got a couple of nipples to try out. The first thing I found was the nipple hole is .026 vs .034 for a Hot Shot. I had a ton of hang fires. Then the deal breaker. I tightened the nipple in and went and shot. The gun shot well and no hang fire. I get home and I can't get the nipple out. So I work on it and finally get it out. I found that the threads are longer than a hot shot. What difference does that make?
Well the longer threads went down and hit the clean out screw. Once it hit the clean out screw the threads were messed up and as I backed out the nipple it goofed up the threads a little on the breech plug and the end of the nipple is really messed up. I can't get it to thread back in.
So I threaded in a Hot Shot and it went in tough but went in. I backed it out and back in a coulpe times. I think it will be fine. The Platinum nipple is maybe hosed. My plan is to get a 1/4-28 die and try to thread it on. Then shorten the nipple a little. Heck it is hosed so I might as well Frankenstein it.

The end of this story is if you have a Green Mountain barrel I would highly suggest to NOT buy these nipples.

Lewis,
I came across this older thread(2016) from Idaho Ron. Just wondering if you had any such problems with the platinum lined nipple in your GM Barrels.

Buffalo Arms Platinum Lined Nipple WARNING!!!

I got a couple of nipples to try out. The first thing I found was the nipple hole is .026 vs .034 for a Hot Shot. I had a ton of hang fires. Then the deal breaker. I tightened the nipple in and went and shot. The gun shot well and no hang fire. I get home and I can't get the nipple out. So I work on it and finally get it out. I found that the threads are longer than a hot shot. What difference does that make?
Well the longer threads went down and hit the clean out screw. Once it hit the clean out screw the threads were messed up and as I backed out the nipple it goofed up the threads a little on the breech plug and the end of the nipple is really messed up. I can't get it to thread back in.
So I threaded in a Hot Shot and it went in tough but went in. I backed it out and back in a coulpe times. I think it will be fine. The Platinum nipple is maybe hosed. My plan is to get a 1/4-28 die and try to thread it on. Then shorten the nipple a little. Heck it is hosed so I might as well Frankenstein it.

The end of this story is if you have a Green Mountain barrel I would highly suggest to NOT buy these nipples.
Why in the heck would anybody continue to force a nipple on down when it obviouly hit something ??? That info isnt very good at all !!! Even if you cant make clearance below a small copper or brass washer would have been prudent to use . A little paying attention and thought wouldve gone a long way . Im sorry but that is just plain so .

Back