Took Another Boar With Patched Round Ball

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Killed this boar hog early last week.

Range: 40 yards
Attitude: Facing
Rifle: TC New Englander .50 caliber
Bullet: Patched round ball
Powder: 80 grains of Black MZ
Cap: CCI #11

Got into the blind at about 16:30. Napped a little. Looked up at 17:30; there was a sow and nine 15 pound pigs under the feeder. Was waiting for the sow to present a broadside shot when the boar came in. Boar hassled the pigs then he turned facing me with his head up. At the shot the boar bang flopped and did not kick. Ball hit the hog in the snout and exited behind the right ear.

Hog weighed 200-225 pounds.

https://i.imgur.com/471TxUT.jpg

nice hog, our hunting seasons are over until spring, just a long winter ahead
Most states have an open season year long on wild hogs, don't know where your located. We don't have them in VA. yet, but they are in surrounding states. If we do see them its still OK to shoot on sight anytime.

Our state now prohibits hog hunting anytime on conservation land.

The take of feral hogs is prohibited on conservation areas and other lands owned, leased, or managed by the Conservation Department. Hunting hogs on other lands is strongly discouraged. Instead, report feral hog sightings

Nice looking hog. But is that longer hair on them normal or is it winter coat? I'm not learned on those things.
And are you planning hams and bacon and such with it?

Our state now prohibits hog hunting anytime on conservation land.

Not sure where you live. They will regret doing this. It's an epidemic here in Texas. As few years back, they legalized hunting them from helicopters. That's how bad it has gotten.

These things can "tear up an iron anvil with a glass chisel and a rubber hammer".

Our CD has a trapping plan. They dont want hunters on public managed land spooking them. They were KILL ON SIGHT during deer season but not anymore. The majority of us do not agree with the regs. Our hog problem is pretty isolated compared to states with big hog problems. Some areas though it is pretty bad.

Nice looking hog. But is that longer hair on them normal or is it winter coat?

That winter coat is pretty much normal for this area. We do have some long haired hogs.

They dont want hunters on public managed land spooking them.

Since 2000 i've spent thousands of hours hunting, trapping and observing wild hogs. Yes, some states have outlawed the shooting of wild hogs. The "experts" claim that shooting "scatters" wild hogs. That claim is so much trash. i've often shot a hog or two from sounders that ran off. A few days later i' often observe the same sounder with all the remaining hogs present. They have a knack for re-assembling.

Wild hogs are still being spread by Bubba and his minions. Miscreants trap wild hogs or buy hogs at stock sales and loose them in the wild. Hog hunting ranches are a primary source of the expanding wild hog population.

State fish and game departments are notorious for ignoring solutions that have worked in other states. Some "experts" take information pertaining to domestic hogs and make it fit wild hogs. Many "experts" claim that wild sows have two litters per year. Hogs in the wild have a hard scrabble existence compared to domestic hogs. In years when mast is plentiful a few wild sows may have two litters. About one third of the 2-4 year old sows we shoot and trap have never borne a litter, that is a mystery to me.

Here in OK we are allowed to hunt wild hogs all year long, no hunting license required on private land: Applies to non residents as well. We are allowed to shoot hogs at night with a night time hunting permit. Sadly, the WMAs have different rules. There is no hunting with center fire rifles outside of deer season. They hire helos and shoot hogs from the air.

A couple years ago the OK Dep't of Agriculture promulgated new rules pertaining to wild hogs. Populations of wild hogs in some areas have dropped.

1. No new hog hunting ranches will be licensed.

2. A permit costing $25 is required of all clients of hog hunting ranches.

3. Persons transporting wild hogs must be licensed.

4. All Transporters of wild hogs must obtain a permit prior to transporting wild hogs. The permit is good for 24 hours. Permit contains number of hogs being transported, departure point and destination.

5. Hog trappers are no longer allowed to pen hogs. Hogs must stay on trailer until transported.

Latest posts

Back