Tools for First Inline

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Must. Resist. Being. A. Smart. A$$.

Okay, I hafta apologize, because I'm going to ask a serious question:. How do the steamers work for getting out rust?
Ive got a slightly pitted super 91 that i am using a file and emery cloth to touch up some. FYI,Wear some welding gloves while you use a steam cleaner.

I've got a little in there, but it's limited to the patent chamber. Threw a bore scope down there. Everything else looks good.

Still, steamer sounds like a good idea. I'm still gonna use up those pipe cleaners, though.

#6 in the above list is to fabricate a softer than the vent liner pick. This will require snipping the brass rod to fit in the #92 pin vise, and then sanding the 1mm diameter (0.0394") brass rod down to fit the vent liner (0.030").

If anyone wants a piece of this brass rod to fab their own vent pick that is softer than their flame hole/vent liner; just let me know what length you need (less than 6").

I will tape a piece to some computer paper, stick it in an envelope, and mail it to you.

For the small sum of $5,422.93 payable in 19th Century Mexican centavos.

Actually, no charge.
Wow. I am glad to have picked most of that up a lil ata time.

While suffering from Brain Fatigue Syndrome (BFS), (aka, Old Farts Disease), (aka, absentmindedness), when ordering drill bits for the Lehigh Defense QRBP, #BP-BP-C1, breech plug; I mistakenly ordered #69 drill bits, instead of 3.1mm drill bits.

The flash hole in the removable vent liners, #VL-1, measures 0.030" in diameter new. A #69 drill bit measures 0.0292" in diameter. Of course, I do not want to put anything as hard, or harder, than the vent liner through its hole. So, ordering the #69 drill bits was a mistake.

What I should have ordered was a pkg/12, M3.10mm drill bits for cleaning the flash channel of the breech plug proper. The 3.1mm drill bit measures 0.122" in diameter, which is exactly what the flash channel measures.

Drills & Cutters has a really good price on Qualtech, Chinese-made, HSS, black oxide, jobber length drill bits. Their minimum is a pkg/12. The #69 bits were $0.31 each, and the M3.10mm bits are $0.34 each. Plus shipping.

1/8" drill bits are also $0.31 each, AIRC.

The tools I am going to need to shoot, and maintain my Optima V2 pistol have slowly been arriving at my address.

I now have the following on hand, or in the delivery pipeline--- The prices reflect the cost of shipping, where applicable .......

1. Lehigh Defense BP-BP-C1 BH209 Bare Primer breech plug w/ 1 VL-1 vent liner...$29.98

2. Pkg/4, Lehigh Defense VL-1 vent liners...$25.97

3. Klein Tools, #JTH6E07KLE, T-handle, Journeyman, 7/64" hex wrench w/ 6" & 5/8" shafts...$3.94

4. Pkg/2, Bondhus, #10606, 7/64" hex, ball end screwdrivers w/ 3" shafts...$7.72

5, General Tools, #92, Swivel Head Pin Vise, 0"-0.125" capacity...$9.06

6. Pkg/5, K & S, #9861, Solid Brass Rods, 1mm × 302mm, diameter × length...$7.48

7. General Tools, #93 Pin Vise, 0.040"-0.250" capacity...$13.96

8. Pkg/12, Qualtech, #DWDN69P12, Black oxide, HSS, Number 69 (0.0292"), jobber length drill bits...$14.28

9. Set/50, Accusize Tools, 0.011"-0.060", ZZ Class, Pin Gages (minus)...$32.00

10. Accusize Tools, Go/No Go, 0.011"-0.060", Pin Gage Vise...$10.56

11. Permatex, #80632, Thread Sealant w/PTFE, 4 oz. jar...$6.28

12. Pkg/100, McMaster-Carr, #9262K11, Buna-N O-rings, 4.5mm×6.5mm×1mm

13. Pkg/50, McMaster-Carr, #1185N26, Viton Fluoroelastomer O-rings, 4.5mm×6.5mm×1mm

14. Set/6, Pittsburgh Tools, #93514, Stainless Steel O-ring Picks...$13.77

15. Hornady, #050075, 0"-6" × 0.001", Stainless Steel, Vernier Dial Caliper...$48.75

16. Ted Cash, #TDCSL209, 209 Inline Capper

17. Traditions. #A1404, 209 Depriming Tool...$11.91

18. Frankford Arsenal, #DS-750, Digital Pocket Reloader's Scale...$30.70

19. Gross/144, Discount Vials, #CT242770-C-B217-144, Borosilicate Glass Vials, 6 drams, w/ Black Plastic Screw-top Caps #F217 (1.0625" O.D. × 2.75" long w/o cap)...$75.15

20. MTM, #S25-12M-41,10 Gauge/12 Gauge, 2.75"/3"/3.5", Smoke Grey, 25-round Shotshell Boxes (6 each)...$32.04

21. Dr. Purifier, 10-in-1, Handheld Steam Cleaner...$47.99

Remember that I am starting from zero/scratch with NOTHING but a 20" Craftsman tool box containing a 16 oz. ball peen hammer, a 10 oz. plastic-faced hammer, a Multi-Tough rotating screwdriver bit tool, and a Gerber multi-tool. There is also an Hitachi 3/8" corded drill gun, a 25' H-D extension cord, and a couple of sets of driver/drill bits in plastic cases.

Edit: 5:45 P.M. EDT 5-20-20
The company that I ordered the K & S 1mm brass rods called to inform me that they only had 1 unit to sell, instead of 2.

So, they are kicking me back the cost of 5 rods, plus $1.00 shipping.

I won't have as many pieces to pass along as I thought I was going to, perhaps 6-8, depending upon how long of a piece someone might want.

The lettered items below have been, or will soon be purchased to be installed on the Optima V2 pistol.

A. DOC White Javelina forearm with stubby pistol grip, and ambidextrous main pistol grip fabricated from black/gray laminate...$300 (approx.)

B. Pkg/2, GrovTec, #GTHM289, Heavy Duty, Push Button, sling swivel bases, 9/16"-18 threads...$14.02

C. Pkg/2, GrovTec, GTSW284, "D" Loop, Heavy Duty, Push Button, Recessed Plunger, sling swivels...$25.67

D. Magpul, MS3, Gen2, Convertible Sling, 1pt/2pt, w/paraclips, Coyote Tan...$50.43

E. Spartan Precision Equipment, Classic Gunsmith Adapter, brass...$41.95

F. Spartan Precision Equipment, Javelin Bipod, standard length...$201.36

G. LR Customs--- labor to thread muzzle of Optima V2 pistol...$85.00

H. LR Customs, MZ-REX 2 Muzzle Brake, for sabots--- includes an aluminum funnel, a t-handle loading tool, and a S.S. muzzle cap...$235.00

I. LR Customs, MZ-REX 2 Muzzle Brake, for lead conicals, or sized to the bore jacketed/solid bullets...$175.00
Pictures man, pictures!
KIMG1569.JPG

Uh, Bruce, et al,

What is this alien technology called "removable vent liners" of which you speak? What is the application? Inlines, side locks?

Sorry if this constitutes hi-jacking the thread. I just would like to know...

Vent liners screw into the powder side face of an in-line breech plug. They last way longer than plain old breech plugs and cost much less. Then a liner shoots out, just replace it. An original plug, many that is, can be drilled and tapped to accept liners.

MrTom,

Thank you, sir! I'm guessing that when you've found that your breech plug as worn out to where it's affecting accuracy or safety, you can tap that plug, and install a liner?

Man, I'm getting so smart talking to you guys!!

Yup. And in the case of CVA inlines, their factory are notoriously inconsistent with BH209 in cold weather and converting to the liners makes for trouble free cold weather shooting and far more consistent accuracy. The liners can be gotten for 4/$22-25. A liner can be good for several hundred shots where the factory plugs might offer 250 shots before the fire hole enlarges and creates accuracy issues. My V2 Accura and my V2 Optima pistol see the converted plugs and each gun has several hundred shots through the liners of each with no wear yet. But the biggest thing is cold weather reliability with 209 powder, especially in the deer stand.

Ordered the #9262K611, Buna-N, metric O-rings from McMaster-Carr on Sunday, and received them this afternoon.

They measure 6.5mm × 4.5mm × 1mm, O.D. × I.D. × Diameter.

I did not realize it until they arrived, but the shelf life is 15 years. Probably longer if stored in a sealed, air-tight container with dessicant in a cool, dark place. Like a vacuum sealed Mason jar.

Since I hate to pay sales tax, and shipping for small, relatively inexpensive items, I ordered 3 bags/100 at $5.15 per bag. The total came to $22 .24

MrTom,

Thank you, sir! I'm guessing that when you've found that your breech plug as worn out to where it's affecting accuracy or safety, you can tap that plug, and install a liner?

Man, I'm getting so smart talking to you guys!!

That's exactly as I did and ordered a couple more plugs to drill as spares. Both my Accura and Optima pistol have three plugs drilled for vent liners. All of them shoot clean except one for the Accura and an o-ring takes care of that issue. I have a .45 CVA Kodiac with three factory plugs drilled and fitted with vents. 209 powder in all three guns without a hitch. All are very, very accurate.

When I originally ordered the glass vials from Discount Vials, I elected to go with a 6 dram vial that turned out to be too big in diameter to fit into the MTM #S25-12M-41 10/12 gauge shotshell boxes that I had purchased to house the vials.

Bummer!! Definite case of not doing enough research, plus my wants being greater than my needs. Lesson learned!!!

As I posted in my thread on FREE SHIPPING, I found to my detriment that sending something back to Madison, Wisconsin cost me a total of about $19.00, after the refund/credit from Discount Vials for the less expensive 4 dram vials.

Which showed up this afternoon. They measure 0.80" in diameter × 2.75" long for the glass vial. And, with the black plastic cap attached, fit neatly into the MTM shotshell boxes.

4 drams by volume = 109.376 grains by volume. I purchased the vials for my Optima V2 pistol, which has a maximum charge of BH209 powder of 100 grains by volume. Which will fit neatly into these 4 dram vials.

So all is well. I should have followed my instincts to purchase the 4 dram vials in the first place. I ought to know by now that disregarding my instincts usually leads to unsatisfactory results.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back