Total newbie here...Whats an accurate out of box sidelock rifle..looking for suggestions.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trackhound

Reaction score
I have lots of experience shooting but never blackpowder.
This use will be for Oregon where I cant use sabots or inline ignition.
I want to be able to use this on Elk and deer.....50 cal ok or must I go to .54?
Just looking for some advice on the well regarded models known for accuracy.
I know there will be a learning curve with bullets and loads.
Any advice will be appreciated..
Thanks

If I was to buy a new sidelock now it would probably be one of the new Lyman's produced by Pendersoli. I would buy the Great Plains Hunter with the 1-24'' twist. Probably get it in a 30'' barrel. It will probably be great for heavy conicals or sabots. I believe you can get it in .50 or .54 cal..
You will be OK with either caliber for deer and elk.

Inlines are legal in Oregon. They just have to be percussion. No sabots, no scopes and no pellets.
https://myodfw.com/articles/legal-hunting-methods-and-weapon-restrictions
So most White rifles, Knight MKs or BigHorn would be legal if configured for percussion caps. Open ignition and caps is the only part that matters and there are many more inline PACNW legal options available.

You can buy the gun with the reputation for best accuracy, but if you don't load it correctly, it's just another bullet hose. Don't skimp on powder, caps, lube or bullets. Take time to learn about what makes these critters accurate.

For elk, 54 at minimum. A 50 "can" get it done, but it's marginal for elk.

I have lots of experience shooting but never blackpowder.
This use will be for Oregon where I cant use sabots or inline ignition.
I want to be able to use this on Elk and deer.....50 cal ok or must I go to .54?
Just looking for some advice on the well regarded models known for accuracy.
I know there will be a learning curve with bullets and loads.
Any advice will be appreciated..
Thanks
I have a Lyman Great Plains Hunter in 54 cal. It has a 1/32 twist barrel. I shoot Hornady .54 cal Great Plains bullet (425 grain) with Pyrodex Select. I use a Lyman Tang Peep and get 4-5" groups at 100 yards. The projectile mushrooms out to about 1-1.25". I have 2 Lyman Great plains patch round ball rifles in .54 cal, 1/60 twist. One loves 2F black powder and a .530 ball with a home made denim patch, I get 3" groups at 100 yards with open sights, the other likes Pyrodex select and I get about 5-6" groups at 100 yards, with open sights. Personally, though a round ball will kill an elk, it tends to punch a hole and there is not much bleeding going on. I have killed many deer with the round ball but bought the Hunter barrel for elk. I also have 2 white rifles (Whitetail and Bison). Both are .504 cal, 1/24 twist, and I shoot 460 grain No excuses bullets with pyrodex P. They are inline and use a #11 percussion cap. One has an oversized bore and I get 4-5" groups with the No excuses, 3" with 300 grain PT gold sabots (I am working on a custom mold for lead projectile for it), the other has a tighter bore and I get 1-2" groups with a scope. My son has a White whitetail/Model 97 and he gets 4-5" groups at 200 yards using a Lyman peep. I will tell you, nothing goes very far after being shot with that 460 grain noexcuses bullet! I shot my big bull with it and it went about 10' and that was it! My son's also have the knight big horns. I have found they do better with Sabots, one rifle shot the Thompson Hunter projectiles OK, 5" groups at 100 yards (50 cal), open sights. If you choose round ball, go with a slow twist (1/60-1/66). If you shoot conical, go with a faster twist, most are 1/28. In my opinion a 1/45 twist is supposed to shoot both but generally doesn't do really well with either. Whites are no longer made and go for a premium price if you find one. Doc White still makes some and sells them but it is a slow process. I really like my White rifles and plan to stick with them. I prefer a peep/aperture sight, faster and easier with my aging eyes!

Idaholewis has some sidelocks for sale on here, you can almost guarantee they'll be as good as brand new coming from him. He probably has video of most of them in action as well.
If you can find a T/C Renegade or Hawken, they'll shoot as good if not better than any rifle out there.
Edit: You probably wont like the factory sights on them though, very coarse front bead. I custom fit mine with some Williams regular old rifle sights for a year or two, and then finally with failing eyesight, a 1X scope.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back