• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Modern Muzzleloader and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Trade my Federal 215M Mag Match primers for your Large rifle primers?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shiner200gr

Reaction score
Trade maybe 100 or 200? My mag primers work great in my Remington UML, but I need some regular large rifle primers for reloading my Winchester 94.

Kind of a problem with my Winchester 94. I'm having primers back out a little. Mostly this would be a fairly common 94 problem with a 117 year old lever action rifle, just excess headspace from age, but I have read that initial primer explosion can contribute so I want to see if that's correct. All reloading data calls for standard large rifle primers. When I reloaded after trying it with the mag primers, I loaded 1 1/2 gr less 4895, as you suggested. Have not had an opportunity to try it yet with the reduced charge.

Sorry, too far away. But as suggested you can use those mag primers on your model 94. You'll be fine with the reduced load.

As far as excess headspace have you tried neck sizing only? Once a cartridge has been fired in the chamber it takes on the characteristics of that chamber. For example, when the fully sized cartridge was initially chambered it had tolerances below or less than the chamber so it will fit. All guns do. Once fired the brass took on the dimensions of the chamber and now should be a perfect fit. there are advantages to this.

1. If you neck size the shoulder of the brass will not be moved and the brass head will be held tighter against the back of the chamber, so the primer should remain in place when fired.
2. A neck sized cartridge lasts longer because it is not worked so much.
3. for bolt action I feel a neck sized brass is more accurate by centering the brass/bullet in the chamber vs. laying in the bottom of the chamber and the bullet being slightly off center when fired.

If you are unsure how to do this give me a PM and I will help.

I do understand the concept. I did not want to try neck sizing as a beginning mode, but it probably makes sense in light of the problem. I will try that on the next outing.
I appreciate the input, thanks!

OK Men, I ran a quick headspace check and came up with .098........anyone dare to recommend a talented gunsmith? I haven't had a chance to shoot the neck sized only rounds yet, but .098 is big when the recommended max is .070.

What cartridge are you shooting???
You using a minimum or maximum load or where in between???

Just shoot the neck sized cartridges and see how that works.

When you fun length size you are basically preparing cartridges for any gun that is made for that cartridge. You would be able to share with any other person shooting the same cartridge. When you neck size you are making custom ammunition and it is likely it will not fit other guns in that cartridge. If you neck size do not shoot that ammo in any other gun. If the case is stretch a little it will only do that once with neck sizing. As long as it cycles through the gun and shoots you should be ok. Once stretched the case will remain at that dimension as long as you neck size.

Not sure I make this understandable. Im betting not. PM me and send me your phone if you want to talk.

Back