Traditions PA Pellet Flintlock Sight

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nicko

Reaction score
Completely new to flintlock here. Just got a Traditions PA Pellet flintlock and took it to the gun club yesterday for first time shooting it. I started off at the 25 yard target and shots were flying high and to the right with the open sites as they came from the factory. After making adjustments to the rear sight, I ran out of adjustment and can’t slide it back any further. Best I was able to get was about 2 to 3 inches high at 25 yards.

I know I need to experiment with some different powder loads .....I was going with 100 grains of 3F behind the 240 grain sabots that came with the gun. Just got some triple X pellets and shockwave 250 grain sabots so that is my next experiment.

has anybody run into anything like this with this gun running out of adjustment on the rear sight? I do have to admit, I probably need to refine my shooting process and getting used to the delay between the pull of the trigger and by the time the powder in the barrel ignites.

this gun has fiber-optic open sites and I have been lining them up parallel with the front bead directly on target when shooting. Guessing I’m going to have to just hold a few inches low now unless I find that the highflyers are the result of my shooting and not the gun.

Anybody with experience with this gun, opinions would be appreciated. Thanks

I think you can try cutting back on the powder charge to 80 grains of the 3f your using. I have a traditions deerhunter rifle which is pretty similar to what you have, except mine is a percussion lock.
I shoot round ball out of mine with 80 grains of 3f Old Ensyford.
The sights on your rifle are the Williams. I changed my rear sight to a Williams ghost ring. Muzzleloaders.com has in stock for $ 10.00. Made a big difference for me. Easy to install, it just slides onto the rear sight ramp.
You'll have to mess with powder charges till you find the sweet spot for your rig. Good shooting.

Thanks. At the end of the shooting session, I had started dropping down to 90 grains of 3F......but I ran out of powder (plenty more at home....just didn't think i'd need more for the range). Should be able to get to the range in a couple days for more experimenting.

If you're not familiar with fiber optic sights, they do take a little getting used to. All 3 dots have to be lined up just so on the target.
You'll get there, the journey is half the fun.

Completely new to flintlock here. Just got a Traditions PA Pellet flintlock and took it to the gun club yesterday for first time shooting it. I started off at the 25 yard target and shots were flying high and to the right with the open sites as they came from the factory. After making adjustments to the rear sight, I ran out of adjustment and can’t slide it back any further. Best I was able to get was about 2 to 3 inches high at 25 yards.

I know I need to experiment with some different powder loads .....I was going with 100 grains of 3F behind the 240 grain sabots that came with the gun. Just got some triple X pellets and shockwave 250 grain sabots so that is my next experiment.

has anybody run into anything like this with this gun running out of adjustment on the rear sight? I do have to admit, I probably need to refine my shooting process and getting used to the delay between the pull of the trigger and by the time the powder in the barrel ignites.

this gun has fiber-optic open sites and I have been lining them up parallel with the front bead directly on target when shooting. Guessing I’m going to have to just hold a few inches low now unless I find that the highflyers are the result of my shooting and not the gun.

Anybody with experience with this gun, opinions would be appreciated. Thanks
Yup start @ 70 gr Of 3F and finish @ maybe 80 grains Loose powder BP or T7 ,More choice and precise up or down than pellets .80 grains of 3F anything will shoot thru anything you get 50 yds from and not run short on power . You will kill anything @ 25 yds with that sight picture and probably do it @ 100 yds too! And Idon"t have a lot of experience with pellets just because of being forced into 50-100 or 150 grains . 10 grains might be the difference and that only happens with loose powder ,but I am not experienced with pellets as stated !

Last edited:
Common mistake to start at the top end of powder charges. Sure you can handle a powerful load but multiple shots and the recoil plays with your mind ,you may be flinching or anticipating the recoil more than you think. The delay your referring to is also messing with you, are you following through with your shot or subconsciously lowering the rifle as soon as you pull the trigger ? Take Muzzy's advice and start with 50gn and work up from there to find a accurate load. Once your more comfortably with this gun then you can work on a hunting load if that's your goal. I understand the concept of pellets for quick loading in the field but your limited to 50gn increments. Loose powder will give you a whole lot more flexibility, its more economical and with pre-measured loads can be surprisingly fast to reload.

Buy some tubes that you can pre measure your charges and take them with you to the range or hunting. They’re actually faster than having to dig out pellets and drop them down the bore. When developing loads, I measure out several different amounts usually by increments of 5. Such as 50/55/60/65/70. It’s very convenient at the range to not have to stop and measure each time you reload. I got my tubes on Amazon, they are 10ml centrifuge tubes. They work great

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll be heading to the range tomorrow to experiment.

Wondering is anybody uses a partial BP and partial pellet load.....like 10-20 grains of 3F and then a 50 grain pellet on top. I bought two boxes of the 777 pellets and two lbs of 3F so I have plenty.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll be heading to the range tomorrow to experiment.

Wondering is anybody uses a partial BP and partial pellet load.....like 10-20 grains of 3F and then a 50 grain pellet on top. I bought two boxes of the 777 pellets and two lbs of 3F so I have plenty.
And I thought 25 lb cases of OE 1 1/2 F/2F and 3F was a little lite

Looks like I picked a good day to go to the range and avoid the craziness that is today.

Dialed my powder loads down to 10 grains of 3F followed by a 50 grain 777 pellet with a 250 grain shockwave bullet. It took a number of shots but I finally started to get a hold on the shot process / follow through with the flintlock. I was getting some erratic shot patterns which I attribute mostly to the fact that I was not getting the sabots to seat completely due to powder buildup in the barrel. Gave the barrel a good swawith Windex which definitely picks up more powder residue then the traditions bore cleaner that came with the gun.

Finished up with this two shot group at 50 yards… Did not take a third as I ran out of priming powder. If I can maintain this at 50 yards, I’m happy with it.00B1F4D5-21C2-47C4-8199-E32D6BA48CDF.jpeg00B1F4D5-21C2-47C4-8199-E32D6BA48CDF.jpeg

That looks pretty good. You'll get the hang of it before you know it.
Even with what you've done so far will kill a deer no problem.

Looks like I picked a good day to go to the range and avoid the craziness that is today.

Dialed my powder loads down to 10 grains of 3F followed by a 50 grain 777 pellet with a 250 grain shockwave bullet. It took a number of shots but I finally started to get a hold on the shot process / follow through with the flintlock. I was getting some erratic shot patterns which I attribute mostly to the fact that I was not getting the sabots to seat completely due to powder buildup in the barrel. Gave the barrel a good swawith Windex which definitely picks up more powder residue then the traditions bore cleaner that came with the gun.

Finished up with this two shot group at 50 yards… Did not take a third as I ran out of priming powder. If I can maintain this at 50 yards, I’m happy with it.View attachment 12145View attachment 12145
You might not know but it is common not (with4F), but 2F 3F or what ever BP you use for main charge is also sutible for priming too/Ed

You might not know but it is common not (with4F), but 2F 3F or what ever BP you use for main charge is also sutible for priming too/Ed

I was trying to use the 3F at the end in the pan but it was not igniting so I poured some out and crushed it up with the butt end of a screwdriver and poured that on top of the pan 3F. Figured I would quit there.

Probably the biggest PITA was keeping a spark going. The pan powder kept coating the flint with burnt residue and squelching the spark. I wipe the flint and frizzen down and get any visible residue off but it doesn't spark like the first time after a full breakdown and cleaning.

Is there any recommended way to clean up the flints?

Latest posts

Back