Traditions Trapper and TC Maxi Hunter

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DKasprzak

Reaction score
I would like to try shooting 275 grain TC Maxi Hunters out of my Traditions Trapper .50 percussion and am looking for information from anyone who has experience with conicals in a Trapper or Great Plains or any similar pistol. What were your most accurate loads, thoughts on using to hunt whitetail limited to under 20 yards? Thanks in advance… Dave

I shot the original tc maxi ball 370gr out of my old 1970’s era cva hawkins 1:48 twist and my old h&r huntsman 1:28 twist with real black powder. Both guns shot them well so I don’t see any reason yours wouldn’t shoot the bullets you speak of.

There is a member here who shoots a 240 grain .50 cal " PA conical out of his pistol of similar design, but because of the handle design I'm not sure I'd want to shoot anything heavier of any heavier of a powder charge for fear of snapping the handle off. The 370grainer mentioned would certainly be out the door....huge difference between a Hawken and this pistol.

A reasonable charge and bullet weight could be a possibility for deer inside of 20 yards but I would not go beyond that. I'd definitely do some penetration tests on soft wood or wet newspaper before deciding to hunt with it.

I have had no problems taking deer with PRB in my .50 Trapper using 35 grains and my .54 plains pistol using 45 grains out to 30 yards. Beyond that there just isn't enough velocity. Conicals would require even less powder and therefore would not have much velocity and recoil would be substantial.

There is a member here who shoots a 240 grain .50 cal " PA conical out of his pistol of similar design, but because of the handle design I'm not sure I'd want to shoot anything heavier of any heavier of a powder charge for fear of snapping the handle off. The 370grainer mentioned would certainly be out the door....huge difference between a Hawken and this pistol.

A reasonable charge and bullet weight could be a possibility for deer inside of 20 yards but I would not go beyond that. I'd definitely do some penetration tests on soft wood or wet newspaper before deciding to hunt with it.
I didn’t know the traditions trapper was a hand gun and I didn’t tell him to shoot the 370gr maxi ball.

Latest posts

Back