Traditions Vortek Strikerfire 50 Opinions

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biggamehunter78

Reaction score
Good day everyone. I’m looking to walk away from CVA as a company and an Optima V2 that I have a love/hate relationship with. I’ve read lots of reviews about the subject gun and almost all positive. Trying to build up an “up to” 300 yard elk gun (accurate and ~1000fpe at 300). Would mostly be looking to use full bore bullets - Fury, Hornady bore driver ELD-X, etc. (NO PBS!!!) or saboted heavy Barnes, etc. I want a tight bore so I can experiment and have options. Any positive or negative experiences with subject rifles? Any quality issues with Traditions like CVA has?

Up to, absolute limit of 300 on the outside chance. Most of our shots are between 100-200, some just a bit farther. Just looking to try and stretch a little without going full long range setup (and weight). If I’m going to spend as much as a Knight I’m going to go full bore for an Arrowhead conversion or Remington SML or similar and use BP sub instead of smokeless.

I have one and I have been happy with it. It is light to carry, and has a really nice trigger. The trigger was a selling point for me. I have not shot a lot of groups with it--just enough to sight it in for hunting season, but groups were decent. I killed a few small TX whitetail does with it in the 130 yard range. Not so far, but much smaller targets

I also have one with the nitride barrel and black stock. I have a Burris Drop Tine sitting on it and use it when hunting fields or a cutover. I've had it a few years and only use it for hunting so not much shooting beyond sighting it in. It's light and handy in the stand and so far seems to be holding up well but I'd consider it used lightly. No complaints from me but I've heard on here customer support is not the best. I had no issues a number of years ago when the stock on my older Vortek went gummy. Replaced with no issue.

Good day everyone. I’m looking to walk away from CVA as a company and an Optima V2 that I have a love/hate relationship with. I’ve read lots of reviews about the subject gun and almost all positive. Trying to build up an “up to” 300 yard elk gun (accurate and ~1000fpe at 300). Would mostly be looking to use full bore bullets - Fury, Hornady bore driver ELD-X, etc. (NO PBS!!!) or saboted heavy Barnes, etc. I want a tight bore so I can experiment and have options. Any positive or negative experiences with subject rifles? Any quality issues with Traditions like CVA has?
First of all, let me applaud your decision to break company with CVA.
My brother has a 50 cal Traditions Vortek Strikerfire and we found that it shot very well with 2 White Hots pellets, 275gr Traditions Carnivore bullets and Winchester 209 primers. Just over an inch groups at 100 yards off of a front machine rest and rear rabbit ear sandbag. We then cleaned the rifle and I shot it with the load I use in my CVA Accura V2 Plains Rifle, 80 grains of BH209 under a Hornady Bore Driver FTX with the same Winchester 209 primers and it shot 2 separate 3 shot 1 ragged hole groups at 100 yards. I found the rifle to be of reasonable quality for the price and the trigger was crisp with little to no overtravel.
The jury is out on the Strikerfire mechanism as it decocked every time when the action was opened but not every time the tang switch was moved. Potential safety issue if you ask me. I know if it was me and I was in the market for a new smoke pole and I didn't want to go with a custom smokeless rig I'd be buying a Knight Ultralight. But for the money the Traditions shot very well. As far as 300 yards shots go, in my experience there are far more rifles capable of shooting accurately at those ranges than shooters in a hunting environment. Even seated comfortably using a good rest like a Bog Pod, 300 yards is a very long way off for an off the shelf muzzleloader.

I saw a camo Strikerfire .50 with a scope at my local Walmart on clearance for just under $300 the other day. I probably would have bought it if I wasn’t planning to buy one in .45.

Thanks so far very much for all the replies, very much appreciated!!!

For some reason our Wally World doesn’t get MLS (and firesale them at the end of the season) anymore, I wish they did.

As far as discussing CVA and the ills therein, that’s a post for another day. 🤣

I bought the Vortek Strikerfire w/VAPR barrel last year. I used it all season, never even pulled my .308 rifle out of the case. I love that thing! It's my primary go-to weapon for hunting now.... I am looking forward to seeing how far I can stretch it out this Spring/Summer!

I bought the Vortek Strikerfire w/VAPR barrel last year. I used it all season, never even pulled my .308 rifle out of the case. I love that thing! It's my primary go-to weapon for hunting now.... I am looking forward to seeing how far I can stretch it out this Spring/Summer!
Fantastic. If you think of it after you shoot some more come back and update this post!

I also have the Vortek Strikerfire w/VAPR. I've only been able to sight it in for 100 yds so far, but plan to stretch her legs. I'm using 120 grain (volume) BH 209 powder, Federal 209A primers and Hornady 290 grain Boredrivers. 1 inch group at 100yards using a ruck sack for a rest.

I am selling mine, but somewhat question this decision. I really like it, but I found a deal on an Encore and have wanted one for a long time, especially since I want to be able to use centerfire barrels with it as well and use the same platform for muzzle loader and centerfire. I somewhat question if this is a good decision though. Out of the box, the trigger on the Vortek is definitely better than the Encore. It is a nice and smooth 2.5 pounds. The gun is also a lot lighter and handier.

Latest posts

Back