Trigger Job 10/22 range report

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snapbang

Imlay City Michigan
Supporting member
Reaction score
First I will list the work I did.

1. Took out the trigger group and stoned the sear on the trigger and the hammer. Im thinking at 3 pounds. Ill probably do it again but it is much better than before.
2. Polished the hammer face, grind and polish the rear lower portion of the bolt assembly. They say this aides in removing stove piping and gives the bolt more leverage on the hammer. For what its worth??
3. Removed the existing barrel and installed a couple of very thin washers on the top of the V block so as not to induce barrel droop.
4. Replaced the bolt stop pin with a 1/4 inch nylon bolt cut to size.
5. Cleaned and scrubbed every part before lubing with a dry lube.
6. Installed the barreled action in in a new Hogue over molded stock. I installed a very thin piece of plastic sheet between the take down screw and the v-block before tightening. To help with barrel clearence from the stock. Only a very minor torque on the screw.

Below is the targets I shot with various ammo I have in my possession. What an eye opener this is. All shots at 50 yards off of a bench and 5 shots for each ammo.
FYI I am not a bench shooter and even as I shoot I can see small movements in the scope. I would credit myself for any errors of 1/4 to 1/2 inch or so.

1. Federal Champion
2. CCI std
3. CCI Mini Mag HP
4. CCI Mini Mag copper plated round nose
5. Federal Target
6. Not shown CCI ccb long just for grins

IMG_2099.JPG

Oh my does ammo make the difference.
Looks like my gun has a real problem with Federal but fairly happy with CCI. Looks like CCI standard is the ammo of choice. Ive seen comments on You Tube and the CCI standard does seem to be favorable in a lot of guns.

The CCI cb long. I could easily see it travel to target. It dropped so much it was 10" below the bottom of target. I had hoped to use it for quiet squirrel hunting but there is no accuracy.

During my shooting I did not have one problem with feed or ejection. I had shot several times to get close to zero and check the action for problems before going to the range. Close to 75 shots with no problems at all.

I would be more than happy to bring some more brands next time I swing by. I will bring a few to try. I have had fun trying to figure out what brand of ammo my .22's shoot most accurately.

The quietest rounds I have are the CCI subs however, the most readily available with a good reliable supply is the federal auto match. At 22 bucks for 325 I wished all my guns ran best with the federal auto match. I have found that they provided acceptable accuracy in all my rifles including my bolt action .22

I would like to figure out which one of my .22's shoots the most accurately with the best possible found ammunition after testing. But again if I can't buy it the data won't do much good but hey all this is a lot of fun "work".

I have more brands. But I think the CCI standard will do, I have 200 and ordered 500 more, I have a 200 mini mag HP and 700 Mini Mag CPRN.
Im good.

Can I recommend a great, easy to do, convenience mod? When you take your trigger group out, take the bolt catch, using a dremel grind out the middle of the vee, to a heart shape. When done correctly, you can tug back a little on your operating handle, and let go. The main spring will close it, rather than manipulate the catch down by the mag well. Makes it very convenient.

Can I recommend a great, easy to do, convenience mod? When you take your trigger group out, take the bolt catch, using a dremel grind out the middle of the vee, to a heart shape. When done correctly, you can tug back a little on your operating handle, and let go. The main spring will close it, rather than manipulate the catch down by the mag well. Makes it very convenient.
I have considered that. I am thinking on the magazine release extention and maybe going back in and buffing the sears a little more.

Id love to do trigger jobs for folks but Im thinking that could end up being a law suit. Now a days right or wrong youll pay.

Kidd has some beautiful components. But Im to cheap to pay for something I can do myself. I also consider my guns to be tools. I dont really care how they look as long as they work for me. Having said that I do like nice wood on my sidelocks.

I have used a Volquartsen kit on several 10/22's that is about $35 and it has always made a vey nice trigger.

If you read my reply to MrTom (some .22 bullet comparisons) you'll see that CCI is also my brand of choice out of my Bergara. But mine likes the CCI MM Varmint over the Std Velocity

Absolute best 10/22 trigger is from Norrell.... *braaapppp*

For us mere mortals who can't drop $15k on a tax stamp toy....

KIDD is the best of the best for parts, and priced accordingly... but worth it if you can afford it.

Brimstone is back in business for trigger work, his stuff is great as well.

For not much more than the cost of the various drop-in parts (other than the KIDD) you can get a Brimstone job and it will be better.

A final option between KIDD and everything else is to send your rifle to Randy at Connecticut Precision Chambering for a work-over. Gives a total factory rifle that will keep up with the heavy barrel target builds, includes recutting chamber and trigger work and recrowning barrrel.

I don't like the thought of the BX trigger because it is rewarding Ruger with more money for making what is basically a defective but functional part - the could do what Savage did with the accutrigger and let the big box stores have the original triggers and regular retail have the BX triggered models.

Well Bob per that session it looks like the CCI Stds are the best but .22s are like muzzleloaders. They each have their favorite load. Also I've noticed that shooting 5 shots then changing ammo and shooting another 5 shot group doesn't work. Most 22s will take 10-15 shots with a particular brand before they "settle in" with that ammo. Try shooting 10 rounds with one ammo then shoot a group with it then repeat with another brand (you can shoot these 10 rounds off hand for practice). The results may surprise you. And .22 ammo is cheap enough. Not as cheap as it used to be but still plenty cheap until you get into the high end stuff like Eley Green or the like. Another really good ammo if you can find it is SK Standard Plus.

Latest posts

Back