Triple 7 - forgot how many shots before swabbing

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tpcollins

Reaction score
Just put a Zeiss Conquest on my Triumph and decided to take the Zeiss Terra I had on it and mount it on my old .50 cal MK85 with #11 precision cap.

I forgot how many shots I can get before I have to pull the breech plug and swab the bore out? Anyone have a rough idea besides when I can no longer get a sabot pushed down it? :confused:

Thanks.

A lot depends on how hot of a charge your shooter the hotter it is the sooner you will have to do it, usually 2-3 shots for me.

no more then three for me. after that it is much more difficult to load and clean. that is my experience.

I use Barnes bullet/sabot combination. They load hard but I have learned here that more often than not a very tight sabot gives the best accuracy....other parts of the formula being equal of course. I would appreciate more comments on easy or tight hard to load sabots.

With 777, clean barrel every shot and pull breech plug and clean every 10 shots while at the bench for best accuracy.

Shoot a shot or two dirty to see where they go for followup shots in the field just in case any are necessary.

Are you referring to pellets or loose?

Pellets, my Traditions has a tight barrel and will only shoot 2 Barnes TE-Z’s before having to clean the breach and swab the barrel with a wet then a couple dry patches. Loose powder, I have only shot BH 209 and can shoot up to 4 but it is tough to load that 4th shot!

I did try several different bullet/sabot combos a few months back and found the Harvester Scorpion PT Gold 260 grain combos to shoot extremely accurately and load easy enough I could have shot 10 times or until my breach plug fowled out. For my Traditions, no other combo has been more accurate and loaded as easy.

When I shoot T7 I swab between every shot to get rid of the crud ring but have never pulled my brech plug to clean until I'm finished shooting and have never had accuracy issues at all now I may loosen up my plug then tighten it up again just to keep it from seizing up but not pulling out to clean and have never had a problem. But that's just me

I agree, unless I have a brain burp and load without a charge of powder, I do not remove the plug until I am done shooting. I like to take it out when the gun is still warm because it comes out easier.

If 777 goes in, I get a crud ring , and I swab every time. If I'm shooting Pyrodex , I swab every time. I just don't get as bad of the crud ring. Same with real black.

Latest posts

Back