Triple 7 or pyrodex

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cball

Reaction score
Which powder do you prefer or have the best accuracy with triple 7 or pyrodex i’m in idaho so no blackhorn

Ive had best results with Pyrodex Select. But in fairness Ive tried many more loads with it than 777. Both are good. I am rethinking my almost exclusive use of Blackhorn 209 in certain guns. The availability has not been there for quite awhile in my area. And its price is absurd.

Whats the opinion on which cleans up better? And do you have to clean immediately after shooting with either one or is one more forgiving than the other

I have to admit I have let my S91 in .504 go for a week after shooting two deer ( son, grandson) with triple seven. Black ice coating has spoiled me! There were no issues in the gun, but I forgot the scope rings and a little rust was starting around the bases. I would never do that with pyrodex!

Whats the opinion on which cleans up better? And do you have to clean immediately after shooting with either one or is one more forgiving than the other
Triple seven cleans up much easier than pyrodex. I use a citrus household cleaner and about 3-4 patches, brush the bore and another patch and it's clean. The plug cleans up easily also.
Pyrodex has a greasy film that takes longer and it stinks... not wife friendly!

Im not sure 777 cleans up that much easier than Pyrodex. It is supposed to be less corrosive than Pyrodex. But I have never tested it. I have always cleaned the guns the NIGHt I got home. I never cared how tired I was. I just broke them down and did it. I might have done a quick job and really went to town the next day. But i never let them set overnight. Thats why I went to Blackhorn 209 and many of my plunger type guns have sat. But its also why Ive never had any rust.

I don’t post much but on this issue I will throw in my two cents. I have used pyrodex since 1994, I shoot traditional side locks. I have also left a gun dirty for three days, I have not had any rust issues. Triple 7, is much easier to clean, but for me pyrodex has always been easier and much cheaper to get. 777 is also a little more powerful then pyrodex, so for the same volocities you can use less. Pyrodex is not any more difficult to clean then real black powder.

Clean the rifle and you won't have any problem with Pyrodex.

Bought a cheap CVA .50 caliber Stag Horn rifle in 1999 or 2000. That rifle has fired about 3,500 rounds using Pyrodex. The bore looks new.

That's the problem, some just won't clean up after shooting Pyrodex. I've seen a lot of guns ruined by it in person and online. I have also used Pyrodex in P, Select and RS way before triple seven was heard of, cleanup was mandatory after shooting, never had a problem. One can get by for awhile with triple 7, I have done it, not advising it at all....

Accuracy? It's not the powder, it's the jerk on the trigger.

Cleaning? See above.

T7 opened degenerates in months, Pyrodex does not. (I expect disagreement. Please be respectful._

That's the problem, some just won't clean up after shooting Pyrodex. I've seen a lot of guns ruined by it in person and online. I have also used Pyrodex in P, Select and RS way before triple seven was heard of, cleanup was mandatory after shooting, never had a problem. One can get by for awhile with triple 7, I have done it, not advising it at all....
Agree 100% with the above!! If one must store it for awhile for whatever reason (finances, don’t shoot that much etc). Maybe try sealing the canister in a vacuum seal bag. It may preserve it longer for you? Just a thought.

I have no personal experience with an open bottle of ttt7, at least for more then a couple months. Pyrodex I’ve had opened a bottle and it was open for over a year, had some lumps init that broke up by shaking the bottle. It fired just like it was new.

I've shot lots of different powders. Including Triple 7 and Pyrodex. I would recommend Swiss. Great accuracy, very good velocity. Clean up is pretty simple with MAP and doesn't seem to start corrosion quickly like the Triple 7 and Pyrodex does.
Just my personal experience and opinion. Others may vari. ;)

Latest posts

Back