Turkeys with a muzzleloading rifle?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've hunted turkeys with the crossbow a few times but have yet to get a shot. The old Mossberg 500 12ga. has been a workhorse for me for many years. My best load for it is the 3 inch shell, 2oz. #4 shot. Has knocked em' down out to 50 yards.

One more week to the Virginia season!!! Can't wait.
Winchester Long Beard shells are the best for the money in my three turkey guns. I have not tried the TSS and probably never will at +- 10$ a trigger pull.

One more week to the Virginia season!!! Can't wait.
Winchester Long Beard shells are the best for the money in my three turkey guns. I have not tried the TSS and probably never will at +- 10$ a trigger pull.
What part of Va are ya in? I'm a southern Md. guy & have spent a lot of time in va between work, play, hunting & fishing. I was just talkin with a friend this morn about how much I miss hunting & fishing in Md., but bein able to easily do all that in Va Pa Wva. If I was still in that area this time of yr I'm consumed with trout & smallie fishing & spring turkey season. Enjoy your hunt.

Oregon says no to standard Muzzleloaders, crossbows, rim fire rifles and pistols. You can use your Falcon though.
There is a provision in the definition of shotgun that allows you to use a muzzleloader as long as it meets certain criteria and you use birdshot.

Shotgun: A smooth bore firearm, including muzzleloaders, designed for firing birdshot and intended to be fired from the shoulder, with a barrel length of 18 inches or more, with an overall length of 26 inches or more.

We have two main hunting rules in the Kingdom of Callaway.
1. Don't shoot deer during turkey season.
2. Don't shoot turkey during deer season.

In Missouri we have both Spring and Fall turkey seasons, a shotgun or archery equipment are the only methods to harvest a bird.
In Wyoming we can also use a rifle along with arch/shotgun for grouse and turkeys. The minimum rifle is, I believe, the .22 mag. A ruling made I'm sure before the advent of my .17 WSM. When I grew up in West Texas it was also rifle friendly in turkey season.........Mossie

Yep, Sundance. Spent 20 years hunting that area. Great people.

One time I ended up in Sundance at a restaurant. As Im eating my heart sinks because I realize Im wearing my pistol on my hip. Cops everywhere. ( Sundance is the county seat). Im thinking jail time. A closer look and I see everyone is carrying. LOL My kind of people.

Yep, Sundance. Spent 20 years hunting that area. Great people.

One time I ended up in Sundance at a restaurant. As Im eating my heart sinks because I realize Im wearing my pistol on my hip. Cops everywhere. ( Sundance is the county seat). Im thinking jail time. A closer look and I see everyone is carrying. LOL My kind of people.
That's WY WY WY Wyoming is where I chose to live and retire 20 yrs ago..Trader

Latest posts

Back