turkeys

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jims

Reaction score
I saw a hen turkey with 4 or 5 of her young today. They were smaller than an adult quail. I thought they would be larger than that in Ohio by August. Maybe her first eggs gotten eaten by a racoon.

Late hatch, not too uncommon.

I saw a hen turkey with 4 or 5 of her young today. They were smaller than an adult quail. I thought they would be larger than that in Ohio by August. Maybe her first eggs gotten eaten by a racoon.
Jim your probably right in the nest raiders could of robbed the 1st sit. After which a hen turkey will only set up 1 more nest if possible. The size of quail tho is very small for a poult for this time of yr. Pretty resilient birds and will most likely be OK. Here in Iowa poults are bigger than Pheasants already. I seen a group yesterday of 6 hens and at least 50 pouts running ahead of me in timber. So that group is doing really well
Can't wait till Spring to chase some Thunder Chickens!!! Definitely my favorite game to call in after Ducks. Happy Hunting and GOOD LUCK in the upcoming seasons!!!

By spring I am about two inches taller every time I walk across the yard. It's turkey poop stuck on my soles. They have started moving in this week. They will stick around until early spring, and then I will not see them again until early fall. The smallest I have seen this week are about the size of a regular sized chicken.

The last three evening I have watched them fly up into a bull pine to roost.

Latest posts

Back